What would u advise a first-time visitor to Melbourne to see in 4 days?

ronfire

Hi!

We'll be visiting some friends in Melbourne later this month and we also plan to see a bit of the place, being our first Aus trip outside of WA. Can we rely on public transport? I really don;t want the hassle of hiring a car and driving in a totally new city (especially with those weird hook turns I've been told about!). If we can get around by train, bus or tram I'd much rather do that. A little walking won't do the ol' midriff any harm....hehehe

We've already planned to do the Puffing Billy, etc and also do some visits around the CBD cos I love to soak in the history of a place. Apart from this, what else should we absolutely see?

We're in melbourne for 4 days only.

Thanks!

Public transport in the city is great. You can take the City Circle tram in the city, which is free. It is a tourist tram, with brochures, etc. for places to see. The trains also run very regularly from Flinders Street Station. You can take a nice trip anywhere :ilikeit:

I would recommend you go to the Victoria Market.

Apparently the restaurants along the ocean in Williamstown are quite nice. People apparently go on weekend evening to eat there. You can take a train from the city to Williamstown. Takes about 15 minutes. Think the walk will be longer :blush:

Bridge street is great for shopping :D so your other half might enjoy a trip down there. Also trams that go there.

There is a book fair on Saturdays at Federation Square, if you are into reading.

Haven't been to Philip Island yet, but heard it is really nice there.

If you have kids, the Scienceworks museum and planetarium is fantastic.

Then of course there is the Zoo and the aquarium.

If you have time, the wine farms sound wonderful too.

Some other ideas: http://www.about-australia.com/travel-guid...ne/attractions/

Try this link - what to see and do in Melbourne

You can do a day trip to Phillip Island - well worth it - especially to see the penguins - we enjoyed it

I also like to use this website called TripAdvisor - it lists the top 10 things to do and very ofent has feedback from people to give you an idea whether good or bad. You just need to scroll down till you get the top10 list.

you can look for top 10 for any city in the world. In fact this lists more than the top 10.

rgds

matman

Public transport in the city is great. You can take the City Circle tram in the city, which is free. It is a tourist tram, with brochures, etc. for places to see. The trains also run very regularly from Flinders Street Station. You can take a nice trip anywhere :ilikeit:

Agree with Polly - public transport = fantastic. If you're only going to travel in and around the CBD, a daily Zone 1 ticket will be a good idea - it allows you to travel on all trains, trams and buses within Zone 1 all day long. See www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au for more info re: public transport.

Then there is also the (free of charge) Melbourne City Tourist Shuttle that travels between 13 of the city's key destinations including: Southern Star Observation Wheel, the Docklands precinct, Melbourne Museum and Carlton Gardens; Queen Victoria Market; Melbourne Aquarium; Immigration Museum; Southbank; the Shrine of Remembrance; Royal Botanic Gardens and Chinatown. See details & info of all shuttle stops here.

Apparently the restaurants along the ocean in Williamstown are quite nice. People apparently go on weekend evening to eat there. You can take a train from the city to Williamstown. Takes about 15 minutes. Think the walk will be longer :ilikeit:

You can also opt to take a ferry to Williamstown from Southgate in the CBD and back. Have a look at: Williamstown ferries

Another fantastic restaurant precinct is Lygon Street north of CBD - Melbourne's Little Italy with many great places to enjoy great food at affordable prices. There are more, but I know you have limited time on this trip.

Bridge street is great for shopping :D so your other half might enjoy a trip down there. Also trams that go there.

Bridge Street's warehouse outlets offer 50 - 70% off regular prices on the latest designer fashion. For more value-for-money shopping (and discounts on designer shoes and clothing), try DFO at Southern Cross Station in Spencer Street (CBD). Melbourne is renowned for its shopping; see also Chapel Street in South Yarra, GPO in Bourke Street, QVC in Lonsdale Street...the list is endless.

If you have time, the wine farms sound wonderful too.

The Yarra Valley's beautiful wineries is only an hour's drive east from Melbourne CBD. There are more along the Mornington Peninsula (south of CBD).

For more ideas, see Melbourne musts and Melbourne Day Trips

For a good general idea of Melbourne and surrounding areas, see www.visitmelbourne.com

Hope you have a great time!

PS: edited to add that the best thing to do when you first arrive is to go to the Melbourne information kiosk on Federation Square in CBD (corner of Flinders Street and Swanston Street). It's a glass cube you go into and then it goes downstairs to reveal a wealth of handy information and brochures. Here you can also get a free Melbourne visitor's map + loads of brochures on the multitude of stuff to do in and around Melb. The free Melbourne visitor's map lists the (free) Melbourne Tourist Shuttle's stops, so it's easy to navigate your way around the CBD and its main attractions.

Edited by kangaroo

Definitely plan to spend at least one night in the city centre just walking to soak in the nightlife and have some dinner. It really is an amazing city from that perspective, throngs of people and blocks and blocks of restaurants and cafes etc selling almost any type of cuisine you can think of (not all good though) so do some research on TripAdvsior or just take a chance! I don't live there so I cant recommend a specific place because I cant remember the names of eateries we've enjoyed, however I have had some amazing meals there on my visits. Definitely think of trying the smaller places.

I enjoyed the Victoria market and would say you should plan to spend a few hours there and include some lunch. Its a nice experience. Also, walk along the river, lots of cafes etc but not much "character" as its all fairly new but enjoyable nonetheless to see the buskers and other interesting characters.

Part of what I like about Melbourne is that its a great walking city. Once in the city centre there is a lot you can get to just walking. The free trams in the centre really help out when your feet get a bit tired though.

Enjoy your trip. Melbourne is a great city, beats Sydney hands down in my mind.

If you want to experience some of the history of Melbourne there is The City Circle tram which is free and it makes a circle through the CBD along some of the historical places. It gives you a good idea and you can hop on and off as you want. Things you go past is the Old GouL (prison), parliament etc. You can find it on google under Yarra trams. You can also look at the golden Heritage Mile.

Ronell

PS a nice restaurant if you like Chinese food, is Sharkfin House. They serve yum cha. We went there once. It is in China Town in the CBD

Wow, thanks guys! This is fantastic!! Am looking forward to those yummy eateries! Guess I'll just have to forego the tram and do my sightseeing on foot....hehe

You guys r great!