Canberra ACT

Lyn

Ive been asked a few times for pics of Canberra and surrounds.

Will start off from the air and add a little every now and then regarding life in Canberra.

I have read that Canberra is a boring place - and everyones opinion will be different. We enjoy living here and are never bored. We are a family of four, teenage son and teenage daughter, from the Hillcrest area of KZN. We enjoy the peace and quiet - the thousands of cycling tracks, the many nature reserves - and the close proximity to the Snowys, Batemans Bay and Sydney. Big city life is not for us.

The following pics are taken from Telstra Tower at Black Mountain- 195,2m tall - looking at Civic - the heart of Canberra

SANY0254.jpg

SANY0251.jpg

SANY0249.jpg

SANY0246.jpg

Looking south towards Woden Valley

SANY0247.jpg

Edited by Lyn

Lake Burley Griffin which seperates the North from the South - most of "the happenings" take place somewhere near the lake.

SANY0647.jpg

SANY0648.jpg

SANY0649.jpg

Ah thanks a mill Lyn!! Now I can also see where I might end up one day!! Dry, but it looks clean and peaceful! I am actually glad that its not a huge city seeing that I am not a city girl. Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks Lyn, really appreciated the pics.

Not as green as its made out to be on the net but still looks pretty :-)

I really love the idea of a couple of hours drive and you can ski. lol

Again HUGE THANK YOU

war memorial

SANY0572.jpg

SANY0574.jpg

from the war memorial up to parliament house

SANY0570.jpg

parliament house - no wind today but the flag that sits on the flag pole - 81m up is 12.8 x 6.4m - approx size of double decker bus

SANY1311.jpg

parliament house up to mount Ainslie

SANY1351.jpg

Canberras birthday celebrations - early morning balloon rides for the adventurous

SANY1197.jpg

SANY1198.jpg

Edited by Lyn

Batemans Bay NSW - 2 hours drive - our closest beach - a truely stunning place

31012009020.jpg

31012009010.jpg

31012009036.jpg

31012009047.jpg

Thredbo and Perisher - Snowy Mountains - Mount Kosciuszko - about 2 - 2,5hrs drive out of ACT

SANY1694.jpg

1.jpg

SANY1633.jpg

Awesome my friend, thanks for sharing!!

Was hoping to see some photo's of you guys!!

I guess if i want to see you all I need to come visit?!

Xxx

Just for you my faraway friend - :) off topic for a sec !!

SANY1734.jpg

Edited by Lyn

Aawww, thanks Lyn!!! You don't look like you are freezing your butt off in the snow?....

Thanx for the photos Lyn - they are really great!! :)

a question about Canberra, a lot of people says its a good city to raise kids in. why specifically do they say this?

and the drug problem - is it less prevalent in Canberra than in the bigger cities or do you get as much there? (no Im not asking because I want to buy some - :blink: , Im asking because Im worried about my kids getting exposed to it, and I know its everywhere, but some places not so much as others

thanx again

yolandi

Just for you my faraway friend - :blink: off topic for a sec !!

You made my day, now have a smile from ear to ear...

Off topic maybe.. but so wish you were closer...

Yolandi, I wish I could tell you that there are no drugs in Canberra and that the teenagers here all behave themselves. Unfortuanately IMHO Australian children seem to have a lot more freedom than our kids. This is possibly because we would lock up our families everyday. My kids (14 and 15) are at a state school - the stories they come home with knock my socks off and Im no prude !!! You can only hope and pray that your kids wherever they are in the world will think twice about doing drugs. But I dont think Canberras drug problem compares with places like Sydney.

I cannot say exactly why Canberra is a good place to raise kids, but I would think that has something to do with our laid back lifestyle here. There are parks - like the old childrens parks in SA - slides, swings etc - all in excellent condition. Schools are good and our Uni is world renowed. Theres also loads for the kids to do.

When you arrive here, my only suggestion is not to judge Canberra for at least a few months. Its taken me 5 months to say that I actually enjoy my new hometown.

Cool pictures Lyn, thanks for sharing. Overall I think it is the upbringing of the children, the values from home but I think SA children are better behaved. We visited friends in Canberra and it is a lovely city, even driving out it does feel like you're in the bush and far away from city life. The tulip festival is something to go see, really beautiful and lots of entertainment.

Take care

Glad you enjoyed your visit jo1 and I think you are referring to Floriade for the tulips ?? Thats held every September and i cant wait to visit this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Please can you add more pics if and when you have a chance

Thanks T

I live in Canberra to, moved here from Toowoomba in QLD two years ago, and I agree it takes a couple of months to get use to the people but it is a very good place to live. My dad put it nicely when they came and visit. “With all the public servants it feels like Pretoria and if you do not wear a suit or tie on the street you might feel under dressed in Civic (the CBD)â€. But because of all the nature reserves it does not feel like a city and it is laid out in such a way that you can drive on the highway and not feel like you are in the countries capital. On the pictures it looks dry but that is because we have winter rain… you should see it now!! It looks beautiful!

Welcome Essies,

Yes, i agree, the ACT is looking different at the mo. I have never seen so many deciduous trees in my life. The foliage colour is amazing.

We had some rain a little while ago which made things go a little green - but coming from Durbs its just not green enough for me !!

My hubby works in Manuka (Kingston) also suit territory - a little too cafe society for me - Im a jeans and Ts girl and a Maccas is good enough.

WannabeACT will see what I can do regarding pics. Have been so busy lately (never a boring moment in Canberra).

Have you looked at allhomes.com.au

If you look around there, the above average homes (the niceish ones) are in areas like Forrest, Red Hill, Yarralumla. Those areas are were I would live if I had the bucks.

Unfortunately I cant even afford Woden Valley - Im in Pearce. So we are heading around Mount Taylor to Kambah which falls under Tugggeranong. Those are average $400 - 500 000 - rather cramped !!

But will try and carry the camera with me more often.