Motherless!!!!

Jeanne

This aboriginal gentleman passed out in the middle of the afternoon in the corridor of the shopping centre, we went out to try and get him to move and he just stayed put, we could not wake him up, we kicked his feet and shouted in his ear and eventually he woke up and asked " Where ish the nursh? He thought he was in hospital!!

No wonder the saffers feel so at home in Australia....looks sooooooo familiar...... :ilikeit:

The problem in South Africa, you will have another 6 hidding away, waiting to mug you when you attempt to help the one on the floor.

Sorry couldnt resist that!!!!

The problem in South Africa, you will have another 6 hidding away, waiting to mug you when you attempt to help the one on the floor.

Sorry couldnt resist that!!!!

True. Fortunately these drunks are an irritation more than anything else. They drink a lot and fight outside the shop on a regular basis, and there is alot of family violence amongst themselves. They leave us alone though.

A group of youths smashed the shop window with a rum bottle just before 4am Saturday morning, so hubby had to go and board up the window and clean up the broken glass. We are used to it, this is the 2nd time in 2 months. There are kids as young as 6 in the streets with no adult supervision in the early hours of the morning. It is so sad to see the level of neglect that takes place.

I actually read about some rural areas where there is a hard liquer ban, and you're only allowed to buy (drink) light beer, because of the many incidents of childneclect, violence and childabuse directly linked to alcohol and dagga use amongst the aborigines.

It's so sad, because they were doing great in their tribes in the outback. Close, loving families and loyalty. Is it actually "civilisation(?) corrupting them?

The liqor stores only open at 12:00 here and there is a limit on the type of alcohol you can buy up until 2:00 when one can buy anything.

Fitzroy Crossing has a total liquor ban at the moment , and I think some other communities too.

I have just started reading a book about the history of Australia, and so far I get the idea that they were generally a peace-loving race. I come into contact with them every day and there is a loss of dignity and pride in themselves. These are just the ones that I see every day so I may be a bit biased. Not all of them are like that though, I have met some really lovely aboriginal people.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks very much like home. So when we get there no more homesick