Medicals for PR while pregnant

Alibaba

Hi all

I haven't been active on the forum too much lately, so I hope this topic wasn't discussed before.

Can you be pregnant when you apply for PR? In other words can the medicals for PR be done whilst you are pregnant? Also, if you are pregnant and have your PR application lodged are you already entitled for the baby bonus should the baby be born before PR is granted? If PR is granted can you retrospectively get the baby bonus or at least a portion thereof if you got PR in the first few months just after the baby is born if it is not granted when only the application is in? We can apply for PR in a years' time when my husband's company sponsors him (we wanted to apply on our own, but we miss 5 points......!!).

I can't work out when it is a good time to have a second baby and as I am not too young anymore (my daughter is already 2.5 years old) sooner rather than later might be a good idea, but I want to get my head around things before I jump into something.

Hi all

I haven't been active on the forum too much lately, so I hope this topic wasn't discussed before.

Can you be pregnant when you apply for PR? In other words can the medicals for PR be done whilst you are pregnant? Also, if you are pregnant and have your PR application lodged are you already entitled for the baby bonus should the baby be born before PR is granted? If PR is granted can you retrospectively get the baby bonus or at least a portion thereof if you got PR in the first few months just after the baby is born if it is not granted when only the application is in? We can apply for PR in a years' time when my husband's company sponsors him (we wanted to apply on our own, but we miss 5 points......!!).

I can't work out when it is a good time to have a second baby and as I am not too young anymore (my daughter is already 2.5 years old) sooner rather than later might be a good idea, but I want to get my head around things before I jump into something.

Yes you can be pregnant and you can do medicals while pregnant, x-rays (despite myths) does not harm the baby. When the baby is born you have to

do all the relevant paperwork, passport, unabridged birth certificate and notify the DIAC of your change of circumstances, assuming you app is sitting with them. They will then add the baby to your application as another dependent.

Relax, being pregnant will not count against you :-)

ANYTIME IS A GOOD TIME TO HAVE A BABY :blink:

Possibly someone can help more but that is how my friend sorted her 175 application after she had the baby, her docs were already in. She said it

was not a major issue.

Hi there

I can't advise on the bonus, though I'm not sure about the x-ray while pregnant. One friend and one family member of ours fell pregnant after their PR applications were lodged, and both doctors recommended that they hold back on their medicals until baby was born. They obviously had to notify DIAC of their change in circumstances and their applications were kept on hold until they could do the medicals.

Just my 2c worth, but I would definately research more before going ahead with the x-ray while pregnant.

(P.S. - when I was pregnant even my dentist refused to do an x-ray as he said it could harm the baby, note not WOULD, but COULD! I reckon rather safe than sorry!)

Good luck!

They really prefer not to take x-rays during pregnancy, but they do have procedures for if it is necessary. There have been quite a few pregnant moms on the forum who have applied for visas, so I am sure you will get an answer. You might be able to do the whole medical, but defer the xrays until after the pregnancy.

FOUND THIS ON FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT AUSTRALIAN VISAS.

Medicals, Newborn Babies and Character Checks.

What happens if I get pregnant before my request for medicals?

You should be aware that it may not be advisable for a pregnant woman to undergo an x-ray test. If and when your request for medicals are received, you should consult a medical practitioner for more information. You should also let your case officer know if you do or do not want to proceed with the medical exam, and your case officer may decide to put your application in suspension until after your pregnancy.

What happens if I get pregnant after my request for medicals?

If your medicals have already been sent to DIAC, there's nothing much that you need to do. Bear in mind if your child is born before the grant of visa, you will need to notify DIAC about the new addition to your family. Also, bear in mind that you will be given a period of time before you must enter Australia after being granted your visa, even if it's for a short trip. If you are into your advanced stage of pregnancy, some airline carriers will not permit you to board. It's been said that pregnancy and immigration do not mix well.

What happens if I have my visa, but not validated it, and my child is born?

If your visa has already been granted, your newborn child will not get a visa granted on your already successful application. You have an obligation to inform DIAC about the new addition to your family, as a change of circumstances before initial validation needs to be reported to DIAC. Your baby will have to be sponsored on a child visa later on.

What is my newborn baby's Australian immigration status?

On the assumption that you applied for your PR visa before your baby was born, it depends on your circumstances, but generally:

If your baby is born in Australia, and at least one parent is an Australian permanent visa holder or Australian citizen, your baby is an Australian citizen by birth. No Australian visa is required for this baby.

If your baby is born in Australia, and neither parent is an Australian citizen or permanent visa holder, your baby will generally automatically acquire the visa of either parent, whichever visa is more "beneficial".

If your baby is born outside Australia, and at least one parent is an Australian citizen otherwise than by descent, your baby is eligible for Australian citizenship by descent.

If your baby is born outside Australia, and at least one parent is an Australian citizen by descent and that parent was present in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years before your baby's citizenship registration, your baby is eligible for Australian citizenship by descent.

If your baby is born outside Australia, and neither parent is an Australian citizen, your baby has no immigration status in Australia and will need a visa to enter Australia.

Hi all

Ek gaan jou in Afrikaans antwoord. Ons het aansoek gedoen in Januarie 2008 vir ons PR en 5 Februarie 2008 het ons gegaan vir ons medicals. Ek het ons Maart 2008 uitgevind ek is onverwags swanger. Ek was baie gespanne, want ek kon nie direkte antwoorde van enige iemand kry nie. Ons het toe ons 'Change in circumstances" ek dink dit is vorm 1102 ingevul en gestuur vir DIAC. Ons visa is in September 2008 goedgekeur en ons het in Oktober 2008 in Canberra gearriveer. (Dus jy kan as jy alreeds jou visum aansoek ingedien het en alreeds medicals gedoen het net voortgaan - hulle gebruik die medicals van voor swangerskap). Medicare het ook my Elective C Section tenvolle betaal en ek was net soos enige Aussie burger behandel met my bevalling.Oor die BABY BONUS, ons het dit ontvang na my seuntjie se geboorte in November 2008. Vir ons was dit ons 'n lompsom van $5000. Maar nou allokeer hulle dit uit op 'n weeklikse basis, die rede is mense het die bedrag misbruik. Het dit gebruik vir luukshede waar hulle wil he mens moet dit gebruik om jou te help met die nuwe aankomeling se uitgawes. Ek was vreeslik gespanne of hulle my gaan toelaat wat soos ek vir jou gese het dit was onverwags, maar die Aussies hou van babas!

En my seuntjie is nou 'n Aussie burger so ons moes nou aansoek doen vir Suid Afrikaanse burgerskap by die High Commision in Canberra vir hom.

Groete

Ewouda

Edited by Dawidopp
  • Like 1