home made biltong

abdul

You guys will be pleased to know that because of this thread we started building our very own biltong box today...

We're starting small... but if it all works we'll post some photo's... ONLY if it works... :rolleyes:

Any last minute suggestions with any new improved recipes? Oh and the hooks, what section can we find them in at Bunnings?

red

Edited to add: Do you leave the fan running 24/7?

I make the hooks out of stainless steel welding rods. I have a little jig. A block of wood with 2 19 mm dowel sticks drilled into it about 30 or 40mm apart. A third dowel is near one of the big ones. I then wind the wire in almost a figure 8 and cut it off, and sharpen one end. Wish I could find it. They are the best because they last forever.

You can just buy big paper clips. The chrome ones are OK or even the plastic coated, but they start rusting after a few uses and wont hold big pieces.

The fan or bulb MUST run 24/7 or the air stands still and in a day or so mould is all over. I know from a costly experience when it failed and I did not check for a few days. Normal wire or zinc wire also leaves a bad taste

Do not put the cut meat into metal bowls or it gets a bad metalic taste, plastic or enameled are OK. As said make sure there are spaces between the meat. Touching = mould. I prefer the box to have a lift off lid rather than a door. Easier to seal and much easier to place and remove the meat.

Test the box before using with a sacrifice piece of meat in the warm weather. A small piece, with cuts in it and no spices. If after a few days there are dead flies or maggots, check for leaks. Only a few mm and a fly will get in. I have made 4 boxes and afte the first learn this lesson. Put the meat in and had maggots in a few pieces.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Omzig

• Ozzie Girl Now

• Eva

• abdul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This past weekend the biltong making project got underway! All planned for Saturday then house-hunting got in the way. So on Sunday off we went to Bunnings (I am not going there ever again with my husband, and he complains about shopping with ME!!!) to buy all the things we needed. This after checking out this thread and making a list!!

We went with the pastic carton version, bought the same fan someone had recommended. The kids were all keen to get involved, but the cutting of the plastic carton proved a more difficult task than expected, so poor hubby ended up doing it all by himself. So late Sunday night the biltong was hung and the drying process began. We keep peeping in, hoping it will look like biltong. Of course its far too early, but it is now starting to look like biltong on the top section.

Can't wait to sample it when it is ready.

p.s. for the vents on the side my husband bought plastic air vents that have a fine mesh effect on the inside which he could just clip into the rectangle he cut.

p.p.s. will post some photos when we have the finished product...

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions!!

• 5 months later...

Any new pics and info on biltong boxes?

Hubby built his and we are now awaiting the final product...should be a day or two more then nom nom nom!

Our box is also a plastic container and extractor fan...dowels and we used brown string to hang the biltong for now...

Those big paper clips work well for hanging!

Ours gets eaten so fast I never get round to taking a photo...

Take a photo whilst it is drying and share the look of ur box with us pls. Yep I must say that it does not take long to polish it.

Cheers