home made biltong

abdul

Brett, this looks excellent!

I like the use of end-plugs. I just used flat wood screws on the dowels from outside the box, but pre-drilling the dowels accurately was not easy with hand tools. I also battled to get the fly-screen mesh to stick to the polypropylene box (very few glues can stick to PE or PP).

The hooks you use look very professional, are they off the shelf?

Mind sharing your biltong recipe?

Hooks. I have tried paperclips, plastic coated and chromed, but I only use stainless steel wire. You can get it form welding supplies. In RSa I went to AFROX, here BOC and bought stainless welding rods. I had a jig for bending the wire. Just 2 big short pieces of dowel spaced about 10 cm apart and another small dowel close to one of the big ones. Then just glue it up

To make a hook just put the wire between the small and big dowel and wind it around and in an S to the othe big fowel and cut. ( Wish I could find it)

I tried the sauce recipe a few years ago but it was not as good as the basic recipe on thread below

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showt...=23061&st=0

A picture of my 2nd biltong box in Australia compete with aircon, heater fan Ozone generator. There is a lawnmower on the right and those are real cars

post-1085-1240569743.jpg

Edited by LeeInOz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Omzig

• Ozzie Girl Now

• Eva

• abdul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Omzig

To stick the mesh I first tried superglue but it was real messy, so I ended up using clear silicon, it works quite well, you may just have to score the plastic surface if its to smooth.

The hooks I got in Bunnings, I was looking for wire and came across these hooks, they're used to hang bicycles, lawnmowers and things like that in the garage, what’s nice is they're plated so they'll be easy to clean and they also come in 2 sizes.

As for the biltong recipe...well were still experimenting, the last batch came out really well (we used chilly powder to spice it up).

As soon as we find a favorite I'll post the recipe.

Hi All

Here is our version of our biltong box. In summer it takes 3-4 days and now in winder it takes about 6 days depending on how thick ur meat is. We bought everything from bunnings. Let me know if you would like my receipes. Saffers here taste it and says tastes like the real thing and end up eating a whole bowl full once they start they can't stop till finished.

Cheers

post-2266-1240703565.jpg

post-2266-1240703604.jpg

Edited by KZN Ozzie

The scale of the last two designs is really impressive! Like the look of the product too.

Aircon, heater fan and ozone generator - wow, that's basically an advanced industrial dehydrator.

KZN Ozzie, that is a very neat box!

A question: Am I right in assuming that your fan is an extractor fan, sucking air in through the holes at the bottom, over the meat and out at the top, as opposed to blowing down on the biltong?

Here is some I got from www.thecapeclub.com.au

Boerewors

4.5kg beesvleis

1.5kg varkvleis

750g varkspek,/skaapstertvet

75ml kokjander, effens geskroei

30ml peper

½ neutmasket resasper

1ml naeltjies of na smaak

250ml asyn

Sny die vleis en vet afsonderlik in dobbelsteentjies meng die koljander, sout, peper neutmuskaat en naeltjies en strooi dit oor die vleisblokies. Meng liggies met die maalvleis. Stop dit nie te styf nie in derms.

Biltong

500g fyn sout

225ml bruinsuiker

15ml saltpeter

25ml koeksoda

15ml peper

Mix the ingredients and sprinkle over prepared cut meat. Use a big stainless steel dish, pack in layers, with spices in between layers, starting with spices at bottom. Start with thickest pieces, leave overnight, hook the pieces the next morning, hang in cool dry place, till very dry.

Droe wors

2kg vleis, /500g varkspek +

30ml gemaalde koljander +

25ml fondor +

15ml sout +

5ml peper +

5ml gemaalde naeltjies +

5ml gemaalde neutmaskat +

50ml asyn

50ml worcertsous

Sny die vleis en vet in dobebelstteentjie en meng. Meng die spices + (sonder asyn en w sauce) Strooi oor die vleis/vet. Maal dit en voeg dan asyn en Worcester sauce by. As die mengsel droog is, kan ‘n bietjie koue water bygevoeg word. Stop dit in dunderms vir droe wros en dikderms vir gewone wors

Edited by jo1

Thanks for the above recipe jo 1.

Would love to have your recipe KZN Ozzie, I am now collecting and plan to try the different recipes.

Our first attempt is drying as we speak and I am looking forward to this weekend.

Susan

KZN Ozzie, that is a very neat box!

A question: Am I right in assuming that your fan is an extractor fan, sucking air in through the holes at the bottom, over the meat and out at the top, as opposed to blowing down on the biltong?

Hi Janneman

Yes it is an extractor fan (large one) and No it is blowing down on the biltong, we ended up putting in more holes for ventilatelation, will update picture over the weekend.

Cheers

Thanks for the above recipe jo 1.

Would love to have your recipe KZN Ozzie, I am now collecting and plan to try the different recipes.

Our first attempt is drying as we speak and I am looking forward to this weekend.

Susan

Hi Susan

I have to admit that I have help with my spices. I use Crown National Safari Biltong Seasoning, because I always mix to little of something when I do my own mix.

I use around 10kg plain silverside/rumpsteak I cut it to our size which is about 12mm thick

I mix half a bottle of holbrooks worcestershire sauce (125ml) with 2litre brown vinegar

I use a coolerbox for overnight storage

I sprinkle the vinegar on the bottom more than enough

I put the meat in our coolerbox and sprinkle again vinegar and then I sprinkle the spices on both sides and more vinegar.

Next morning I take them put the hooks in it and hang up.

I then check 3/4 days later, take the one's that are dry enough and leave any others that are still to wet for another day or two

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Where do you get the spice from? Is it found in the SA shops, I will have to find a local supplier here in Perth.

Susan

Where do you get the spice from? Is it found in the SA shops, I will have to find a local supplier here in Perth.

Susan

Hi Susan

Good old online shop in Brisbane, as I live in rural N.S.W. where there is no RSA shop in sight. You can order online www.satooz.com.au it is about $34 for a 2kg pack plus postage and I make lots with that, I think around 5 batches of around 10kg of meat each time. :)

Have fun

Let me know how ur batch tastes like :blush:

What an excellent thread, I'm making myself one of these as soon as my powertools arrive!

Susan

A few links. I make my own spice using accurate scales. The bought stuff is very good however.

http://www.satooz.com/category46_1.htm spices, cutters, box plans, and soon the best book to have

http://www.biltongmakers.com/ recipes industial driers etc

http://funkymunky.co.za/safood.html suppliers of South African stuff world wide

http://www.biltongbox.com/ say no more, but also recipes etc

http://www.proteafoods.com/protea_v16.swf food etc

http://www.africaclub.org.au/meeting.html

http://www.sabona.com.au/ We subscribe to this great magazine

Interesting

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2008/09...tml?program=612

Has anybody made a Potjie since arriving here. Every South African seems to bring one but none uses them. We do one every now and again

Has anybody made a Potjie since arriving here. Every South African seems to bring one but none uses them. We do one every now and again

I have made a number of Potjies, the No. 3 fits perfectly on the Gas Stove! The No 6 I will have to do outside on my Braai with charcoal/pieces of wood. I ask our local butchers to cut the lamb shank for me. Also buy Oxtail from Woolworths.

Cheers

Alan

post-5051-1241314548.jpg

We've been talking about it with another South African couple, they didn't bring a potjie, but apparently he is fantastic at cooking one, so we are going to lend them our potjie and then share the meal! Sounds like a great trade-off for us!

Must confess, we never really cooked them back in RSA, but decided to bring one along anyway.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I have made 2 batches so far and the results were satisfactory... :-) Second batch, the meat sticks were toooooooo salty... LOL oh well, will have to try again this weekend.

Any suppliers of the spice mix in Cape Town?

Ask you local butcher :hug: When I still lived in Durban I used to buy from mine which was Grobbies :lol:

Hope this helps :hug:

Thanks. Surfed and phoned about yesterday and it seems that the Crown Safari Biltong spice is good. They do have a supplier in Cape Town, so I will give it a try.

Thanks everyone for all the info. I have made 2 batches so far and the results were satisfactory... :-) Second batch, the meat sticks were toooooooo salty... LOL oh well, will have to try again this weekend.

One thing you must do if you make your own spice is to measure the ingredients. I know many people who just guess and then wonder why the meat ends up not so good. I use 2 scales and a few kitchen measures

1) range from 1g to 3 kg with a resolution of 1 g (this is good for 3 kg to 50g or so

2) range from 0.01g to 200g

I also have a set of accurate weights to check the scales. This may seem extreme, but hte large one is good for many uses and

Every batch I make I know what went into it, so I can adjust to get the same or better result

• 2 weeks later...

You guys will be pleased to know that because of this thread we started building our very own biltong box today...

We're starting small... but if it all works we'll post some photo's... ONLY if it works... :blush:

Any last minute suggestions with any new improved recipes? Oh and the hooks, what section can we find them in at Bunnings?

red

Edited to add: Do you leave the fan running 24/7?

Edited by Red

We have enjoyed our first batch of biltong, we left our fan running for 24/7. It is delicious and we have shared some with others and it seemed well received, we will be making again! Thanks to all for contributing to this thread that enabled us to make biltong an old friend in our new country.

I have also recently started making my own. Spice from the SA shop is excellent & the Biltong tastes great. :whome: I used paper clips for hooks, need to make some decent hooks sometime. :whome:

Cheers Alan

post-5051-1242646846.jpg

I have also recently started making my own. Spice from the SA shop is excellent & the Biltong tastes great. :whome: I used paper clips for hooks, need to make some decent hooks sometime. :whome:

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan

Well done :whome::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Ok, our box was completed with fan and all this weekend... now we have to go spice shopping...

Wish I could stop drooling though!