Migration experience

wayneandnicola

While migration for us has been a deeply personal experience I feel in the context of all thats going on in the world it's important to share our reasons, expectations and experiences of Aus so far.

First, let me say that we have only been landed on the Gold Coast for just over two months, we arrived sponsored with job in hand and have enjoyed great support on the personal; and work fronts. So while some may read this thinking the honeymoon will be over soon, I cannot see it ever ending.

We left for all the usual reasons...we are a young family concerned with education and health provision; crime which impacted us directly more times than I care to remember including having armed burglars in our home while our son was there; politicians acting in their own interests rather than the public they serve and so on. We have arrived to find a country that does have criminals, but also has consequences for them; politicians who are absolutely accountable to their constituents (so much so the PM felt it neccessary to publically apologise for losing his temper with an air hostess), and an education and health system that really works (although the locals complain a little it is nothing like SA) Did these findings meet our expectations of Aus?

We spent a lot of time educating ourselves about Australia. Our expectations were further based on discussions and experiences of those who migrated before us. I can say with confidence that we are wholeheartedly satisfied with our decision and more than that, we learn new things every day about this country which reinforce our belief in why we are here.

As mentioned above it has been a personal choice and experience for us. I am not writing this with a view to selling anyone on Australia. What I would like you to take out of this post is the real differences we see so far:

1) Global financial crisis--> Aus government injects $42 billion in stimulus provided only to those who are up to date with their taxes. This happened before the country has even officially recognised it's economy is in recession. What has SA done?

2) The Australian public are deeply concerned with the high levels of unemployment which are almost at 5%. Last time I checked SA unemployment had broken through 40%.

3) Our son has the opportunity to go to private school and 50% of the fees will be subsidised.

4) Houses and gardens here are typically a little smaller than SA. Having said that in SA you almost need to live in a complex now to increase your security, where properties are usually smaller.

5) I walk with my wife and son after 18:00 at night down the road to the beach and back once its dark. Not only is the beach free of any litter (i mean not even a cigarette butt) but we are not approached once for spare change, to purchase black bags or hangers, or for any purpose.

The list goes on but I think my message is clear: regardless of what visa type you may be trying for, in the face of the financial crisis, amid the uncertainty of leaving your homeland, please educate yourself about what Australia can provide your family. If you do that you will find your expectations met and like us, probably more so.

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks for that info.

We are here one month tomorrow and couldn't agree with you more.

Life is good in Aussie!!!!

:D:lol:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us Wayne & Nicola!

We arrived in Australia 11 weeks ago, and to us it feels as if we have been here all our lives..! Fitting in, settling, it all has been seamless and effortless... Everything you have mentioned (and more) is what makes this such a wonderful country to live in.

Cheers

Andi

Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. In 2 months time we will celebrate our 1 year in Aus. We had some good and bad days, but overall we can say that the good days outweigh the bad ones. Its a wonderful country to live in and we are very happy to be here.

All the best for your future here in Aus, with a attitude like yours you will go far in this country.

Linda

You are so right in your comment "We spent a lot of time educating ourselves about Australia. Our expectations were further based on discussions and experiences of those who migrated before us. I can say with confidence that we are wholeheartedly satisfied with our decision and more than that, we learn new things every day about this country which reinforce our belief in why we are here."

Thanks for sharing your experiences, attitude goes a loooooooooong way!

Hi Wayne and Nicola

Great post. Happy you have settled well. :):blink:

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far. It goes a long way to helping me get some more info on Aus and what the move would be like.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

So while some may read this thinking the honeymoon will be over soon, I cannot see it ever ending.

We have now been here just under 8 months... and are still waiting for the honeymoon to end.... :ilikeit:

thanks for sharing your experiences with us,

we cant wait to get to Aus....

Great to read such positive comments! We will be arriving in Brisbane at the beginning of June and look forward to starting a brand new life with great new opportunities. Posts like these really help to allay the anxiety of the unknown. Sounds like a good decision all in all......... :(

Thanks for the very encouraging post!

In these times of uncertainty, your sincere comments help those of us that are still in SA to reinforce what we all know is the truth, but sometimes doubt.

Wayne and Nicola - what a wonderfully positive post. And one that I really enjoyed reading.....as we leave for the Gold Coast in less than 2 weeks! Unlike you guys though, we do not have a job in hand, but I am not too stressed. We are positive people, and I believe that attitude makes all the difference.

Maybe in a Gold Coast met up we will meet - you never know !

Keep us posted, and let us know how you fair...

Cheers

Nix

Wayne / Nicola - just tried to send you a PM, but it seems the PM system is down. I was just curious to know where you are living on the Gold Coast and what school your child attends. We have a 6 year old daughter who will be attending a state school for the first couple of years, but the intention is to enroll her in a private school as soon as our business side is stable. Just curious...

nix