Hi everyone!!

billabong

How are things in Canberra? We now got our case officer so we should have our 176 in a few weeks. We also attended the Living in Canberra Seminar last week and they painted such a beautiful picture....I hope it stays that way. Anyway - just wanted to know if there is any bad news on the job seeking front - more retrenchments etc that any of you know of..... Don't know if we should bite the bullet and come, or send hubby first to look for work (but I'm thinking two people looking for work is better than one?) or just wait all together?....

Are the trees turning a into shades of yellow, orange and red yet? The pictures look beautiful....

Thanks!

Hey BB!

If I were you I would double my chances by both of you looking for jobs, why don't you go over on the pretence of an extended holiday (if you can afford too), then if hubby does get an offer or two you can still return to your current job until you are ready to move over.

Just my two cents worth, but the best of luck to you.

Hiya BB

Yes the Living in Canberra bunch do paint a lovely picture of the place. And it really is good and clean and fresh in some areas !! And yes the trees are getting their autumn foliage. Looking lovely and rather messy in other areas - hundreds of leaves blowing in the wind and the cuckatoos and galahs add to it as well.

Canberra is a nice place, but I honestly dont think I could live here forever. Its a wonderful small place to get the feel of Australia but lately I am missing the rain, the green lush areas of KZN, the ocean, the gorges - dont get me going !!! Just yesterday I was chatting to another forumite about how dry and brown and dusty it is !! But there are positives here, we can go skiing in the mountains, swimming at the coast and visit the big smoke in about 2 - 3 hours.

There is work in Canberra - but its the usual - what are you prepared to do to pay the bills ?? People are being retrenched as well, just last week a saffer told me her company is closing next month (a bakery).

Its a tough decision to make - good luck !!

Edited by Lyn

We are now comitted to the Cancerra move to the same extent a pig is to bacon. Will keep you posted as it progresses. I will start seeking in all seriousness next week and Riana has already started. Trust and prair...

Ok Lynn

What is: galahs and the big smoke? :ilikeit:

I'm thinking LOTS of prayers!!!!!! But we can't make any decisions before that visa is in the passport...we can just ponder until then.

I would LOVE to get on a plain tomorrow actually!!

What is: galahs and the big smoke? :ilikeit:

That's easy BB!

Galahs are a grand event with lots of people being entertained, and the big smoke is a very large cigar!

see! it's easy to get to now the local lingo, you just have to think about it a bit :D

Terence - you always make me laugh - thanx - somedays I really need it mate !!

Galahs - pinkish parrot - pretty but darn noisey and distructive (as all parrots tend to be)

and yes you will learn the lingo - do or die !!

Just this morning hubby said that the company he works for is thinking of employing some more engineers. So thats promising news.

BB

After the seminar I can not wait to go over to Canberra. Yes, the uncertainty gets to one and all the qeustions on what is the right thing to do and when is the right time to do it. Canberra is one place we did not visit in Aus and after recieving the SS we first decided to go over and find schools and work etc. We were planning the thing to the end and wanted to have all the anwers for all the questions.

I realised that it is not us that make all these things happen and we are not in control of everything. We can only believe and trust in God. End result. We will meet Canberra the first time with the whole family when we move permenantly over there. Hopefully June holiday. I believe that we will find the right school and the best jobs available for us. He has taken us this far and he will not leave us now.

Some will say it is a huge risk, but if your are positive and really give it a change everything will work out fine. To answer you question on job hunting. Only you will no what is best for you and you will find peace with your decision. It is exiting times ahead.

Keep the spirits up and enjoy the ride. All the best with the decision making. It will work out just as you wanted it to be.

Cheers

Hugo