Starting with migration process

JCS

Good day all. Me and my hubby has decided to immagrate to Australia, but have no idea where to start or what to do. Any comments, inputs will be of a great assistance. :ilikeit:

Welcome here JCS, hope you find many answers to your questions.

I suggest that you become very familiar with the search function at the top right of the screen, your question has been handled over and over, there is lots of history in 'applications' that you can go and read.

Hi JCS

Welcome and may you journey to Australia filled with few queries, quick replies and few document requests. :ilikeit:

Karina

Hi JCS,

Welcome!

You need to decide whether you want to use an agent or do-it-yourself.

A lot of people have done it themselves, and saved a lot of money.

Look at www.immi.gov.au, it's the official immigration web-site, lots of info.

Good luck

Chocolate

Welcome here JCS, hope you find many answers to your questions.

I suggest that you become very familiar with the search function at the top right of the screen, your question has been handled over and over, there is lots of history in 'applications' that you can go and read.

Thank you very much, will do so. :ilikeit:

Hi JCS

Welcome and may you journey to Australia filled with few queries, quick replies and few document requests. :ilikeit:

Karina

Thank you Karina, I hope so too. :ilikeit:

Hi JCS,

Welcome!

You need to decide whether you want to use an agent or do-it-yourself.

A lot of people have done it themselves, and saved a lot of money.

Look at www.immi.gov.au, it's the official immigration web-site, lots of info.

Good luck

Chocolate

Thank you Chocolate, I will defenitly check out the immi web page. :ilikeit:

Thank you Karina, I hope so too. :ilikeit:

The "Per" in Karina's name stands for "Perfect." Just ask her, it's true..! *chuckle*

Good luck with your process!

One of the first things that you will have to do on this journey is to decide which visa to apply for. You will find detailed info on each type on the immi site too.

In the meanwhile, make appointments (if necessary) for your IELTS tests (English exams thru the British Council.) And make sure that you apply soon for all unabridged birth and marriage certificates. If you are going over on a skill, you may have to have it assessed thru the relevant body.

Cheers

Andi

Edited by Andi and Gunther

If you have ANY questions - just post it and it will be answered - believe me! Hope you are strapped in for this roller coaster ride!!! Lot's of fun..... Good luck!!

The "Per" in Karina's name stands for "Perfect." Just ask her, it's true..! *chuckle*

One of the first things that you will have to do on this journey is to decide which visa to apply for. You will find detailed info on each type on the immi site too.

In the meanwhile, make appointments (if necessary) for your IELTS tests (English exams thru the British Council.) And make sure that you apply soon for all unabridged birth and marriage certificates. If you are going over on a skill, you may have to have it assessed thru the relevant body.

Cheers

Andi

Thank you very much Andi. I must say, all the people that welcomed me on the site are very nice and helpful, thank you!

All the information that you have provided me with, has assisted me a lot, thank you!

JCS

If you have ANY questions - just post it and it will be answered - believe me! Hope you are strapped in for this roller coaster ride!!! Lot's of fun..... Good luck!!

Hi,

Thank you very much, I will do so.

I'm not strapped yet, but I'm sure I will be very soon! As I can see from the immi site, this is going to be a long and hard ride... :ilikeit:

JCS

Hey JCS.

Well a warm welcome from us here.

We have just submitted our application on friday, so now the waiting came starts. You will get alot of help and info on this forum, trust me, and you start becoming part of this "forum family" and yes it is very very addictive.

We justed an agent, and paid alot of money for it, and now if we think about it, we could've done it ourselves, but there is the time factor involved, and if your life is hectic, then the las thing you want to do, is to worry about which forms are right to complete. So I will use an agent again, but there are loads of them out there, and you need to make sure you know of all the costs upfront.

Have you checked which visa to apply for?? If you have skills on the CSL list, it will make the process easier, and if you have deciced where you want to live, you should also go see what skills that states needs, because if they need your skills then you can also apply for a state sponsership visa, and it will go quicker.

We are applying for a 175 skills visa, and we will have to wait a bit longer to get approval, as the Oz goverment, is first approving state/work sponser visas.

But hey, like everyone says it will be one hell of a ride, BUT ENJOY IT!!!!!!

Take care

Annelie :-x

Good day all. Me and my hubby has decided to immagrate to Australia, but have no idea where to start or what to do. Any comments, inputs will be of a great assistance. B)

Hi JCS,

Welcome to the forum!

The really important things - (1) figure out which visa type you are eligible for, (2) get an agent (or not), (3) read up on the Aussie visa website - have been mentioned before. I would like to add one more thing to this list....be quite clear on the reasons for wanting to immigrate. This is very important (to me) because it gives reason and purpose for pushing through and overcoming the different obstacles and challenges that are part of the immigration process. Some of those challenges might be trying to get documents out of Homeland Affairs, or even close friends and family that will question your sanity. For me, the name of the game was "one day at a time" and "vasbyt".

Happy to provide further info - just PM me.

All the best,

Tex

Hi JCS

Welcome to the forum. One thing I can say is. Once you applied for your unabridged birth and marriage certificates phone and phone and phone daily to follow up and ask for a reference number when you phone it seems to work. Everybody here knows it is quite a battle

Good luck and enjoy

Pierre&Wanda

Hi JCS

Welcome, keep your eye on the Coffee clubs in your area, it is always "Lekker" to have a face to face chat.

Oh, yes and read read, take notes, ask millions of questions and ask some more!

Enjoy

I see everyone has given you all the advice you need - so from me its a BIG welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your plans.

Here with a list of what normally should happen. Everybody have talked about all of them but I just wanted to give you a task list. I have listed the visas as I see them and know them. I also tried to put them in order of speed, but don't exactly know how long a business visa takes. Please bear in mind to get a Employer sponsored PR you have to have a 457, but it is very quick if you can do that. At this stage if you want to get into Aus quickly, and you have the necessary skills, State will prob be the best bet. Otherwise CSL and then MODL, but both of them have different skills on them as well as the state sponsorships.

Go to each state and look at their skills list:

1. Queensland

2. NSW

3. Victoria

4. Western Australia

5. South Australia

6. Northern Territory

Other:

1. Critical Skills List

2. MODL

1. Get the reasons for emigrating on paper and keep on remembering them :ilikeit:

2. Decide to go for Agent or DIY (can give you a name of an excellent AGENT, she has helped 4 people I know)

3. Decide which visa will be the best bet:

a. Business Visa [890]

b. State sponsor []

c. Employer sponsored PR [856]

d. Critical Skills List [176]

e. MODL (PR) [176]

f. 457 [457]

g. GOTO: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/

4. Book your IELTS in SA - if your first language is Afr and you did not get a degree in English

5. Get Unabridged Marriage and Birth certificates for all in family

6. Get new/renewed passports

7. Get your skills assessed (if necessary)

8. Proof of Degree’s or diplomas

9. Military Discharge forms (if necessary)

Good day all. Me and my hubby has decided to immagrate to Australia, but have no idea where to start or what to do. Any comments, inputs will be of a great assistance. :blush:

Welcome to the migration roller coaster.

All the best and don't get dampened by all the doom and gloom going around, its no secret that things are taking forever and that the markets are the way they are... keep positive and good luck. :)

SURF THE NET TILL YOUR FINGERS HURT... there is so much info out there.

MartinP's response looks very helpful, suggest starting with that and looking into using an agent, if that's the road you want to go down. Personally i say "thumbs up" for agents.

I see everyone has given you all the advice you need - so from me its a BIG welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your plans.

Hi Lyn,

Thank you very much. Just like someone els told me, it's like one big family, and it's wonderful. All the advice are of a big help. :ilikeit:

Enjoy your day!

Here with a list of what normally should happen. Everybody have talked about all of them but I just wanted to give you a task list. I have listed the visas as I see them and know them. I also tried to put them in order of speed, but don't exactly know how long a business visa takes. Please bear in mind to get a Employer sponsored PR you have to have a 457, but it is very quick if you can do that. At this stage if you want to get into Aus quickly, and you have the necessary skills, State will prob be the best bet. Otherwise CSL and then MODL, but both of them have different skills on them as well as the state sponsorships.

Go to each state and look at their skills list:

1. Queensland

2. NSW

3. Victoria

4. Western Australia

5. South Australia

6. Northern Territory

Other:

1. Critical Skills List

2. MODL

1. Get the reasons for emigrating on paper and keep on remembering them :ilikeit:

2. Decide to go for Agent or DIY (can give you a name of an excellent AGENT, she has helped 4 people I know)

3. Decide which visa will be the best bet:

a. Business Visa [890]

b. State sponsor []

c. Employer sponsored PR [856]

d. Critical Skills List [176]

e. MODL (PR) [176]

f. 457 [457]

g. GOTO: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/

4. Book your IELTS in SA - if your first language is Afr and you did not get a degree in English

5. Get Unabridged Marriage and Birth certificates for all in family

6. Get new/renewed passports

7. Get your skills assessed (if necessary)

8. Proof of Degree’s or diplomas

9. Military Discharge forms (if necessary)

Good Day MartinP,

Thank you so very much for all the information and advice, it will assist me a lot. :D

We have decided to apply for the 176 skills visa. I have spoken to an agent yesterday, I'm waiting for her response. But it will be greate if you could forward me the agent who has assisted your friends, details.

I will be applying for our Unbridged Certificates this weekend, as I understand it takes up to 6 weeks or longer to be processed, and without the certificates the process can't go on.

The only thing I'm not sure about is, where do we go if we want to assess my husband's qualifications? Will the agent be able to assist us with that?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers

Andi

Good Day Andi,

Thank you very much.. :ilikeit:

With everyone giving me advice and info, it feels like we are already on our way!

Me and my husband has decided to apply for the 176 skills visa. We have contacted a agent, only waiting for her reply.

I will be applying for our unbridged certificates this weekend, it sounds to me, that it is one of the most important things to get done.

How do I know where to get our skilles assessed? Will our agent tell us or do we have to find the place?

Hope to hear form you soon!

JCS

Hello there,

The assessing body would depend on your husband's trade. But the agent should be able to give you all the information in that regard too. My hubby is an electrician, he was assessed thru Vetassess. We are using an agent too, and they took care of everything in terms of Vetassess.

Great visa choice! Which State are you going to apply to for Sponsorship?

Best wishes

Andi

Edited by Andi and Gunther

Hi there and welcome.

Remember passports and IELTS the test are usually booked very far in advance we booked in January 2008 and could only get a date for August 2008.

I honestly had the most difficulty with the skills finding out where to assess and who to assess with :D the rest was just a lot of reading. What trade is your hubby in?

If you get a good agent it is worth your while but shop around we were made promises by an agent that was not true, luckly we decided not to use this agent and did everything on our own. There is good agent that is also members on the forum.

Good luck hope you will get all your answers here.

:ilikeit:

Edited by *Chantelle*

Hello there,

The assessing body would depend on your husband's trade. But the agent should be able to give you all the information in that regard too. My hubby is an electrician, he was assessed thru Vetassess. We are using an agent too, and they took care of everything in terms of Vetassess.

Great visa choice! Which State are you going to apply to for Sponsorship?

Best wishes

Andi

Hi,

We contacted an agent but haven't heard from her yet. I wanted to do the process on my own but I don't really have time and my hubby travels alot so an agent has to take care of us. My hubby is an electricain as well, thank you for the info.

We were thinking of going to Melborn, my parents in-law got their visa in February, they will be leaving at the end of May. Most of my hubby's family are there. Where did you apply?

Good luck with everything!

JCS

Hi there and welcome.

Remember passports and IELTS the test are usually booked very far in advance we booked in January 2008 and could only get a date for August 2008.

I honestly had the most difficulty with the skills finding out where to assess and who to assess with :blink: the rest was just a lot of reading. What trade is your hubby in?

If you get a good agent it is worth your while but shop around we were made promises by an agent that was not true, luckly we decided not to use this agent and did everything on our own. There is good agent that is also members on the forum.

Good luck hope you will get all your answers here.

:ilikeit:

Good Day Chantelle,

Thank you very much.

I phoned the IELTS lab already, last week, we can get a booking in April, but with my hubby traveling we will have to take the next date which is only in August.

I just spoke to a lady who told me that their agent took care of her hubbys assessment. I spoke to a agent but she has not come back to me yet, so if you maybe have a good agent that I can contact it will be great. :ilikeit:

I don't really have time to do the process on my own and with my hubby travelling... he is an electrician.

How far are you with your process? Good luck!

JCS