Saffers that suffer

Lilly

We definitely have clothes that our 4-year old has outgrown. Not old, old but simply that he can't fit into them anymore. We've got stuff from when he was a baby (I think - must ask the wife).

We'd be more than happy to help out any way we can - just say how, when, etc.

Would it be a feasible idea to set up some sort of fund for South Africans in this kind of situation? Then, people on this forum could perhaps contribute monetarily as well. I know that financial contributions always necessitate more red tape than usual (eg. deciding how to help, who's more deserving that others,etc), but what do others think?

Hi Ronfire

Thankyou so much for the help. I must say, I am now very thank full that I am moving into a big house in a couple of weeks!! It seems to me that we have much bigger hearts than I could ever dreamed of! And I am not complaining.

I also now sit with this dilemma about cash. I would realy like some input from other members. It is a big responsability, wich I don't mind, but I would like to do it the right way. Please if any body can give some advise!!

Hi Lilly

The problem with collecting monies for charity an issue. Perhaps you would need to consider approaching your church to set up a fund, as any dontations need to be administered corectly, otherwise any funds received by a particular person are subject to mis-use.

If you did not want to approach your church or a church perhaps approach The Sowbona Magazine representative in Perth and perhaps make it more of a cultural charity , as opposed to a " church" charity.

Legally if you are collecting for charity, you need to register the charity, and I beleive you have to have a tax file number as a charity and tax returns need to be completed annual .This is just what I have been advised in the past.

So its not at all as simple as just collecting funds , and handing money over as needed.

Unfortunately, we no longer have a South African Club in Perth, as in the past funds were colelcted for families in need via the Club and administered by the Club.

Regards

Enrica

Enrica is absolutely right. Any sort of monetary assistance that is dependent on donations would require, at a minimum the following:

- An established structure to decide how the donations are applied;

- Criteria to determine who will be assisted and how 'need' will be 'measured';

- Criteria to determine how people can be assisted, how much, how often;

This is not counting all the other legal and tax aspects, particularly the ones that Enrica touched on.

Even using a church charity would not be all that simple....there might very well be rules within the charity that preclude assisting someone specific.

Logistically, cash is easier to handle than donations in kind. People tend to be more 'giving' with money than with things.

Practically, though, is a different story......

Anyway, off the topic, I think.....sorry!

Hey guys,

Would gift vouchers be considered 'money'? I was wondering whether it may be easier to maybe donate some gift vouchers, for example for Coles, Woolworths, etc. Then it is not considered 'money', but people can still be given these to buy some necessary items, such as food.

Just a thought....

Hey guys,

Would gift vouchers be considered 'money'? I was wondering whether it may be easier to maybe donate some gift vouchers, for example for Coles, Woolworths, etc. Then it is not considered 'money', but people can still be given these to buy some necessary items, such as food.

Just a thought....

That is an excellent idea!

i also thought that is a great idea!! That way I can distribute it evenly around them.

What do you people think about that?

I feel sorry and sympathise to the people that suffer and straggle because of the world crisis. I can only imagine me in the same situation. It will be devastated. I will really appreciate support from my fellow country man.

I don't have a problem helping people. I helped a few already but, I do want to see that they are prepare to help them self. People that don't just sit and wait for things to happen. People that expect you to do everything for them. Those that is just like parasites that feed on others. Expect you to find them a position or will only do a particular work. Only want to work for a certain amount. Don't want to get their hands dirty. Only looking for an office job. People that drink and smoke and still complain that they don't have food to eat. Those sorts of people need to learn in life, maybe it is time to learn by their mistakes. Time to grow up in life.

Then there are people that are plain stupid and I'll give an example. Just before Christmas a family from South Africa arrived in Perth. Husband, wife, three kids and granny with only $900 on them. No money in the bank, no jobs, no furniture, no bedding, no accommodation, nothing but there suitcases and the $900. They then stayed in a Hotel for their first night in Australia; all have new cell phones, a new video camera, etc. I can't believe that people can do that. Friends of ours opened their home, gave them food, help them find a job, had to drive them around, etc.

What did they think when they decided on coming over? Everything is going to be free of charge, or be handed to them. Were they just ignorant or plainly stupid? What were they thinking?

I dont think that the gift vouchers is the issue. I still think that if people are dontating money or goods in any form gift voucher /cash or goods or whatever it has to be accountable. If its a once off dontation for one particular family, I dont think that the public would have an issue. But if you are collecting funds or goods in any form on an on going basis it need to be accounted for.

You need to realise that any monetary dontation that a person makes is tax deductable if it is a registered charity.

Also you have more credability that you are genuine and not trying to fleece the public.There is a lot of that going around at these times as well.

Perhaps you need to start a committee and thrash this out as to which is the best way forward...............please becareful when collecting public monies for charity purpose... it must be done above board.

I think I am starting to get this. This might be bigger than I thought. I only wanted to help this family and I think I am going to stick to this. I I get across a nother family that I feel fits the criteria as described by Enrica, which by the way I think is very accurate, I might ask again. I am going to see this people tonight and thinking if she agrees, anybody who whants to help them and would rather contact them them selfs, I would supply the nr.

Do you feel more cumfy about that?

I just whant to thank the person who sended the gift voucher. I got it today and gave it to the family. It couldn't came on a better time!! They were in tears as they had no idea that I'm trying to collect for they.

From the bottom of my, and there hearts, THANK YOU!!!