Going back: How do I get my money back to SA?

Marius Swart

Question

Hi,

We are going back to SA :) and I'd appreciate some advise on what is the best, most cost effective way to get my money back to SA.

I also have a Kia Sportage for sale on www.carsales.com.au for anybody that are interested.

Thank you.

Regards,

Marius

16 answers to this question

Dear Marius

Sorry to hear that you are going back.

You can do a bank transfers into your SA account.

Or the bank can issue with a bank draft which you can deposit into your bank account when you arrive, only problem with this is that you would need to wait for bank clearance.

Good luck with the move back.

Regards

Enrica

Hi Marius

Sorry to ask, but why are you going back to SA. You don't seem happy about it. Just wondering!!

Good luck

Steph

Hi Steph,

I find it really great here and would love to stay, but my wife is unhappy (miss her family) and that is why we are going back.

Marius

Hi Marius, I don't want to stick my nose in you business, but don't you want to hang in there a little bit longer? I know you would say my mouth if big and I'm not even there, but I lived for 3 years in a foreign country so I know how it is. My sister lives in the USA and she cried out her eyes for many years, but if she look back today she is glad she worked through the whole thing and stayed. We are all in the same boat and there is a lot of people immigrating, going through the same emotions, perhaps your wife should just reach out to them. Some shoulder to lean on...........................!

Perhaps some of the other forumates already there can give you moral support. :)

Hi Marius

My sister has been in Australia for over 10 years, A few years ago she asked us to also come over. We informed her in no short terms that there is no way that we will go to Australia - we have our life here in SA. - Famous last words. We have decided to go April last year. I must admit if it wasn't for her being there it would not have been possible. So my advice is also to get some support. Hang in there. Don't make any rush decisions. No matter how her family might feel in SA - they might also change their mind.

Karina

Edited by KarinaPer

To answer your original question try http://www.xe.com/fx/ they may have better rates than your bank. Alternatively http://www.customhouse.com.au/ basically the same company XE caters more for larger transfers. I used them a few times to transfer from the US to SA and from SA to UK without any issues.

www.Ozforex.com.au offers better rates than banks but I haven't used them yet.

TreasuryOne can also transfer money back to SA.

Im not sure if the banks charge higher rates for larger transfers.

But ive been sending just a few grand home to SA each month. by using my online banking.

$20 fee and it ussualy takes 3 days to clear ... but i think that is Standard Wank's fualt and not my OZ bank.

Im out of here too , heading to Oxford England for some glorious sunshine :rolleyes: . Through online banking , ive managed to send funds to the UK, SA and the middle east. and each time its cost just $20 ...

Good Luck.

Hi Steph,

I find it really great here and would love to stay, but my wife is unhappy (miss her family) and that is why we are going back.

Marius

Hi Marius, just wanted to say : I think it is heartbreaking to see someone you love being miserably unhappy, so I understand why you want to go back. It can not be easy for you - all of the best and good luck!!

PS: You can transfer money over with a swift code transaction via your Internet banking - that's how we do it when we need to send money "back home"... Don't know if there's any limitations on the amount you may take out of Australia though.

Hi Marius

Sorry :ph34r: for poking my nose in where I shouldn't have.

Karina

I have heard that Exhange4free are also good. One of my clients just relocated to Brisbane and they used them. I have checked them out on several forums and they have good reviews. Their details are as follows:

www.exchange4free.co.za - South Africa 0116159157

Good luck with the move !

Veronique

SA 2 Brisbane

Marius

sorry to hear youre going back. your wife"s not happy -but will you be happy in south africa? what about you mate? sorry to be a sticky bick.

Hi Marius

Good luck mate.

We have also only been here a short while, and my wife has most of her family back in SA, so we 'know' what you guys are experiencing.

What helped us is that we ensured we all had a 'skype' video communication facility at home, and can often chat - seeing them (i.e. video) makes all the difference. Even our pets we left behind with the family endure many moments of being 'held' up in front of the web-cam so we can see them - they actually 'reacted' to our voices as well (we think anyway).

As I say, helped us get through those 'down' days

good luck !!

Edited by patrice