What do you think?

Anatinus

Question

After working as a planner in an advertising agency in Sydney for 6 months, I was made redundant in late November (ironically, the new CEO is a South African fresh off the plane and wanted to wield the axe, as CEOs do). My redundancy was more a consequence of disastrous accounting and a bad deal with the client and the hours they were entitled to, and had nothing to do with me personally (so they assured me). But still, I was an easy target because the bulk of the work that needed doing was out of the way, and they could afford to go back to relying on my colleague, who was handling the account on his own before I joined.

That was on November 25. I saw two recruitment agents that week, and signed up to two more upon my return to Sydney in January (in between I visited family in SA). It is now more than 3 months since I lost my job and ...nothing. It seemed promising just after I returned, but since then opportunities have dried up, and I'm not even getting interviews. I'm now trying to get temp work at a fraction of what I was earning.

In the mean time, my ex boss in Joburg has got wind of my situation, and has set up a conference call for next week. He wants me back. So - what do I do? Grit my teeth and stick it out here, hoping I'll pick up something, anything? Or go back to Joburg for 6 months or so - assuming they'll be willing to sign me up for just 6 months - and fill the gaping hole in my CV?

To complicate matters, I am here in Sydney on my own. My husband is back in SA trying to sell our house. He doesn't want me back there because of the crime, but I also know that he is lonely and depressed and misses me. (Ditto for me.) I have no idea how long it will take to sell the house, so I have no idea when I'll see him again. Last year we managed 5 months apart, but this year I am finding it much, much harder.

What to do, what to do.

17 answers to this question

Wow being away from your hubby for so long must be tough!!! I have no advise for you but just wanted to wish you all of the best with whatever decision you make.

PS, have you tried applying for jobs in other states in oz??

Hi Anatinus,

Sorry to hear of your job retrenchment, things are definitely getting tougher out there, work harder to find. Really hard for Saffers who have come all this way to Australia, then find themselves in this situation.

As far as what to do, I wont advise you because I am thinking with my heart and not my head at the moment, so I just wanted to say, it must be tough to be doing this on your own, without your hubby here and I hope everything works out for you.

Strongs, Jill

Everyone complains that it is hard to get a job in Aus while in SA. Going back will just make it harder to find a position. At least that is what my instincts are telling me.

Wishing you all the best. Hope you find a position soon. You have been very strong to be without your husband for so long.

If you don't have PR, why not come back apply and by the time it is approved your house should be sold. Both of you can go over at the same time then making it easier.

Hi Anatinus

Sjoe, not an easy situation to be in. I am sure that an answer will come soon. It sounds like you have been through a lot. Just to let you know I am thinking of you and praying that whatever you choose will bring you peace.

Karina

Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone. The conference call can only happen mid-March so I have a couple of weeks' grace. Hopefully I get something in Oz before then so I don't have to even worry about making this decision.

I just wish my husband could join me tomorrow...

Difficult one...

If you have PR, I'd say go for the SA job in the interum.

I'd rather be in Aus than SA by a mile, but:

- You're away from your family.

- If you're not employed at the moment I'm guessing you'e living in Aus on SA money. This in itself must be a financial drain.

I'd say give yourself a realistic target time to find work. If by then you don't have a position, return and regroup, it'll be better emotionally and financially.

After working as a planner in an advertising agency in Sydney for 6 months, I was made redundant in late November (ironically, the new CEO is a South African fresh off the plane and wanted to wield the axe, as CEOs do). My redundancy was more a consequence of disastrous accounting and a bad deal with the client and the hours they were entitled to, and had nothing to do with me personally (so they assured me). But still, I was an easy target because the bulk of the work that needed doing was out of the way, and they could afford to go back to relying on my colleague, who was handling the account on his own before I joined.

That was on November 25. I saw two recruitment agents that week, and signed up to two more upon my return to Sydney in January (in between I visited family in SA). It is now more than 3 months since I lost my job and ...nothing. It seemed promising just after I returned, but since then opportunities have dried up, and I'm not even getting interviews. I'm now trying to get temp work at a fraction of what I was earning.

In the mean time, my ex boss in Joburg has got wind of my situation, and has set up a conference call for next week. He wants me back. So - what do I do? Grit my teeth and stick it out here, hoping I'll pick up something, anything? Or go back to Joburg for 6 months or so - assuming they'll be willing to sign me up for just 6 months - and fill the gaping hole in my CV?

To complicate matters, I am here in Sydney on my own. My husband is back in SA trying to sell our house. He doesn't want me back there because of the crime, but I also know that he is lonely and depressed and misses me. (Ditto for me.) I have no idea how long it will take to sell the house, so I have no idea when I'll see him again. Last year we managed 5 months apart, but this year I am finding it much, much harder.

What to do, what to do.

I am so sorry to hear that and hope you find work very soon. The whole situation must be very difficult for you. Stay positive and believe in your self. Dont' give up. If you convert R / AUS Dollar you wont get a lot. Make your calculation and find out if its finance worth to go back to SA. Personally, I would not leave AUS. You gave up so much to come over and don't believe in escaping when the road is getting a bit bumpy. Where is a will there is a way. Soon you will find work and even sooner your husband will return to you.

Good luck!

Sit down and regroup. Try and think about your LONG term decisions, and not the SHORT term thinking. And what is right for one family, may not be right for another.

If it where me....I would COMMITT and make it work in Aus......."when you make a decision, the whole world conspires to help you achieve your aim".....

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

Nix

Well said Nix.

Anatinus, it's a tough situation to be in.

But I think your hubby's right....and he is very brave and selfless to tell you not to go back to SA even though he misses you so much!

He's obviously looking at the bigger picture, which is often difficult to do when you're in a difficult situation like yours.

I hope things work out for you, please do keep us posted.

Well said Nix.

Anatinus, it's a tough situation to be in.

But I think your hubby's right....and he is very brave and selfless to tell you not to go back to SA even though he misses you so much!

He's obviously looking at the bigger picture, which is often difficult to do when you're in a difficult situation like yours.

I hope things work out for you, please do keep us posted.

Hi Anatinus

May the retrenchment be an opportunity to move into a better spot! One you haven't seen in your present job. I think selling your house now may be difficult and with the elections coming up, people might sit tight. It's a tough one. Trust your instinct.

Good luck!

Yep, I know that sitting tight would be better. I suspect that all the jobs available in my line of work are currently occupied, and people are reluctant to move around or change jobs because of the current economic situation, so there just are no openings. And when there are openings, there's so much competition - people with London experience are more valued, and a lot of Australian expats are returning from the UK - so I am up against it.

That said, I am doing volunteer work in the mean time so I have something to put in my CV, and keeping myself busy writing. (The Julius Malema chapter in my third and final book of South African insults gets bigger by the day.) I am just terrified that I'll find myself six months down the line, with the money having run out, having walked away from a guaranteed opportunity in SA, and worse off than ever.

Let's hope this week brings some good news...

I wish you the best of luck! I know how it feels to live without your husband (we are apart 6 months every year and it is not east at all.) Having said that it makes you a very strong, independent person!

I hope you find a job soon! Stay positive.

Hi

Are you in Australia on a PR visa?? A number of people have asked this question..........

Tough decision, but I would favour staying in Oz......................the long term benefits must surely outweigh any perceived short term benefits.

Remember absence makes the heart grow fonder....... :blush:

Enjoy!

Manny

Hi Anatinus

My initial respose was "ARE YOU CRAZY!", then hearing your family is still back in SA.... tough decision. Everyone can give you advice, but the ultimate decision is yours, you will know what is right for you when it comes to the crunch.

I do agree with one of the formites who suggested you try for job opportunities in other cities, Sydney is a large city, but there are other wonderful cities with opportunites that you may be able to tap into.

Be strong and best of luck

Hiya,

Living away from your partner is not easy by any means, but there are many things you can take away from it.

I was living away from my wife for close on 2 yrs from 2000, so i know your pain. But having said this you must focus on the stuff you are going to gain in the longterm. I make you this promise... Things will work out as they should and this lull could very well be an opportunity to assess what is important in your life. I dont know but it just might be that?

You will however look back oneday and say,"Gees remember that time we went through a bit of hardship?" It is with life a constant challenge. Be an inspiration to yourself. Understanding that it is also not nice to see ones partner in pain and suffering one can only wonder if by going back, what he has already gone though would then be in vain? Trust me when I say that your husband will feel a lot less depressed if he knew his wife was coping with the challenges and also learning more of the Aussie way so when he does arrive he will have someone to guide him a little.

I dont know you, your age or your circumstance but I do know this...

THERE IS NOTHING IN LIFE WORTH DOING THAT IS EASY!!!

I wish you all the best and I pray you keep the faith in future and never lose faith in yourself.