Braces

Chantelle D

Hi to all

I decided to put the braces on in South Africa. I've read that these types of dentistry is expensive in Aus.

What I would like to know is what happens when I get to Aus will they finish another dr treatment? I will have had my braces for about a year and 3months when we go to Aus? but they will need to stay on for at least 18 months to 24 months?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Chantelle

Edited by *Chantelle*

Hi Chantelle

Just want to let you know that I put braces on knowing that I might have to complete the treatment in Australia - bit risky. So I will also be watching this thread closely. When the orthodontist put the baces on, I asked if he can't speed up the procedure. Probably every teenagers question - long explanation of that it would take longer if you want to speed things up. Now I am going to go to him again on the 4th. so I still cant decide whether I should come out and spill the beans that I am moving to Sydney. I have also paid the complete amount up front except for the retainer devise. (apparently your new moved teeth need to be kept in place). I am fearing to ask how much that is going to be. I have worked out that I would be at least 4 months short of the complete treatment. Surely he could just tighten those screws a little more. Well that is my sad story. I'm with you sista.

Karina

Hey,

I am sure once you get to Oz you'll be able to find another orthodontist who will be able to continue your treatment. It might be worth it to let your SA orthodontist know you're moving and if it'll be ok for your new doctor to contact him if he's unsure about something or need to see some medical records. When I moved to the USA, I don't my GP that I'm moving and he gave me copies of my medical record. He also sent my new doctor info when they needed it, so it helps. Also, this way they don't think you've disappeared off the face of the earth. Chances are, they might want to get in contact when they need to come off etc.

I stopped wearing the retainer, it was too gross for me and I tend to bite through them while I sleep after about 2 weeks, became way too expensive. Some of my teeth have moved and are a bit skew, but nowhere near as bad as they were initially.

Good luck girls!

Hi

My daughter had her braces put on in SA and had the rest done in Perth. I will admit a few orthodontists I approached refused to treat her saying the actual braces wouldn't be the same. But i found a SA Dr who said that was rubbish and she continued her treatment with him -so much cheaper to do it this way as the most expensive part is having the braces fitted. Monthly check ups and having the braces removed etc are the cheap part of the process. Just find a Dr as soon as you arrive, leaving it too long without a check will end up in wearing them longer (as was the case with my daughter -much to her horror!)

You will be fine!

Lindy

Hi

My daughter got her braces fitted in NZ a year ago and when we decided to come over to the Gold Coast I informed the orthodondist and she gave me a full report, xrays, cd with photos and all the moulds they made when she started her treatment. She just couldn't refer me to a new one on the Gold Coast, only in Brisbane, but we "let the fingers do the walking" and found a guy not far from us who is happy to carry on with the treatment. Although pretty expensive, they realise and are happy to talk payment plans.

The orthodontist that treated my eldest daughter in PE also had no problem in giving all the stuff we needed for her to carry on in NZ. She had her braces removed about 1 month before we left and was wearing retainers then.

Good luck. My daughter dreaded starting a new school wearing braces and at the end no-one even remarked on it.

Hi All

I am 28 :ilikeit: I had braces when I was in school. Decided to correct my teeth because I have an overbite.

Anyway I will talk to the dr, I told him long time ago before my treatment started that we might move to Aus. I am seeing him next week.

I did not take the usual braces. The wire only "clicks" into the brace. Appartently they speed up the process a bit. And you have less pain and I must say I don't have as much pain.

How much is it for an appointment more or less in Aus?

Thanx to all that replied.

Chantelle

Devon had his braces fitting in July and we came to Oz in August so he had just begun treatment - our orthodontist in SA only charged us a pro-rata fee and as soon as we got here we found an orthodontist who was prepared to continue treatment and very kindly offered us a payment plan. No problem with the type of braces at all, he just wanted all the records, moulds etc - a word of advice, dont' leave it too long. Shortly after our arrival late Aug I contacted an ortho, could only get an appt in Oct. After that appt and confirming that he could follow up treatment, we got a quote which arrived in nov and we only got our appt early Feb - they seem to be very booked up here!!

All the best

Hi Noodles

Thanks I see most people suggest you get a Dr ASAP. I will make sure my last appointment in RSA is a week before we go if possible and then I have time to find someone.

Luckly these braces only get adjusted every 6-8 weeks and not every 4 weeks that helps a lot...

I just wish it can go faster.....

Hi to all

I decided to put the braces on in South Africa. I've read that these types of dentistry is expensive in Aus.

What I would like to know is what happens when I get to Aus will they finish another dr treatment? I will have had my braces for about a year and 3months when we go to Aus? but they will need to stay on for at least 18 months to 24 months?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Chantelle

Hello Chantelle

My son had braces put on in SA. The orthodontist knew we were leaving for Aus and adjusted the price. We paid an upfront amount and then a monthly amount untill we left. He gave us all my sons XRAYS, pictures and treatment plan. After a bit of research on arrival in Melbourne we found a good orthodontic centre. If he had commenced his treatment in Melbourne the cost would have been $5500. but as it had been started the cost was $1800 and we paid it upfront so with discount it was $1700. They continued the treatment and were really good I did not have to pay anything extra and he has now got to the stage where he only wears a retainer at night.

Any dentistry is very expensive in Australia so its a good idea to have as much sorted out as possible in SA.

Thanks Kay

It a lot but worth it. At least I feel a bit more calm about finding a dr. I know they usually do not like to take over from someone else but it looks 100% possible.

Thanks for the reply.

Chantelle