Going back for Holiday

Sandi

Question

Anyone gone back for a holiday? What were your emotions & feelings about it?

I've just booked tickets this morning for myself & my kids to go back (on the Qantas kids fly free special).

My nerves are finished though & now I'm wondering if I've done the right thing & if I actually want to go back. Of course it will be wonderful to see my family & friends & to meet my little nephew who will only be a few weeks old when we arrive. But we've been here for 18 months now & I fear that we've got so used to the freedom here that I'll be a nervous wreck the whole time we're there.

And I'm also petrified that going back will leave me terribly homesick when coming back & that I'll have set myself back in the settling in process.

Interested to hear how you all handled your first trip back...

16 answers to this question

i found that going back helps one to get closure on why you came to aus. one wonders whether coming to aus was the right thing to do and a visit helped me realise that it was. good luck.

Hi

I also thought it would be better not to return until we can say we well and truly settled (i was thinking maybe two years)

and then in Nov '08 I had to fly back to SA to sort out a problem at the bank (long story, would not accept our power of attorney).

We had only been in Aus for 11 months and I can tell you i enjoyed every minute of my short little stay in SA

Was absolutely wonderfuly to see family and friends and when it was time to come back to Aus - I can honestly say I got on the plane feeling like "I am coming home"

Of course, I was coming home to my husband and children.

You say it is yourself and kids going - so I predict you will have that same sense of coming home to hubby.

Stop worrying, you going to visit family and friends - go and enjoy every minute with them, knowing it is a holiday.

You will notice differences, even in 18 months, but that should not surprise you - that is why you left.

Just focus on having a good time.

Did you say Quantas have a special "kids travel free?"

We left Sa in late 2000 and went back about 18 months later for a family occasion. We loved it. Had the most amazing trip. And looked forward to leaving when we did. As the previous poster stated, alot changes in 18 months.....you included. And it will certainly give you closure.

Enjoy the trip !

Nix

Yes, Qantas have a special kids under 12 fly free with adults.

Hi all,

My 5c... (with GFC I am not sure it is still worth 5c...)

We are 3 years in Aus and went for a holiday in Dec'08 for first time. I have to stress that it was a holiday and we lived it that way. Visited most family and friends, went up Table mountain, went to bushveld and so on.

Things had changed in the past 3 years, some for the better but more for the worst. And yes, it give us a appreciation why we moved to Aus.

Mum was a bit unsettled when I said "..next week this time I will be flying home..", still hoped we will return soon...

Now the 5c, if you go to soon or to frequent (I know people like that) you don't fully appreciate the Aus experience and freedom and opportunities we are blessed to receive here.

D :ilikeit:

Anyone gone back for a holiday? What were your emotions & feelings about it?

I've just booked tickets this morning for myself & my kids to go back (on the Qantas kids fly free special).

My nerves are finished though & now I'm wondering if I've done the right thing & if I actually want to go back. Of course it will be wonderful to see my family & friends & to meet my little nephew who will only be a few weeks old when we arrive. But we've been here for 18 months now & I fear that we've got so used to the freedom here that I'll be a nervous wreck the whole time we're there.

And I'm also petrified that going back will leave me terribly homesick when coming back & that I'll have set myself back in the settling in process.

Interested to hear how you all handled your first trip back...

Eish :unsure: Nothing to frett about, enjoy the trip.

Enjoy!

Manny

If things seem better here or you sit with the question "why did we move?" - just remember. It's just a holiday. I'ts not the same as actually living here...

Hey,

Trust me, once you land at OR TAMBO, or which ever one, you are landing at............You will wish, that you can turn back and go home immediately........

You first, go through Passport control(first joke)......then you are worried if your luggage will arrive on the carousel un-touched.........then having to manouver around BIG FAT police women, who couldn't care less whether you have been on a 10 hr flight or not.....THEY ARE THE LAW AND WILL AS SLOW AS THEY WANT TO. and keep in mind you are still in the airport, you haven't even stepped outside in the light............

YES it will be nice to see your family, but I would suggest the family come and visit you in OZ, for them to experience the "real life".

But you will see for yourself, when you come over.....things have changed so much, you will be very grateful to go back home.

When I wrote my english test, there was a girl, who studies in melbourne, and when she came back for the december holiday, the same day she arrived, they got robbed.......................

Enjoy the trip, but remember you are back in SA, guards up.

Annelie :-)

I want to go back for dental reasons, eish, but now I don't know! I plan on going just for 3 weeks, I really want to stay here but the procedure I want is -way too costly in Australia. I mean we talking about $5000+ per tooth!

Where can I find more info on the kids under 12 travel for free? I plan to go in the winter holidays.

I want to go back for dental reasons, eish, but now I don't know! I plan on going just for 3 weeks, I really want to stay here but the procedure I want is -way too costly in Australia. I mean we talking about $5000+ per tooth!

Where can I find more info on the kids under 12 travel for free? I plan to go in the winter holidays.

I think you should be careful on having dental procedures done in SA. People travel to foreign countries where dentists are much cheaper, and once they are back home they have complications. I do not say you will have complications, but what if you do? Then you will have to go back to SA and have it taken care of, (now that will be expensive) or in Australia where you will then have to pay all over again. I know here in Switzerland where dental procedures are very expensive, (a crown can cost up to $7,000), people travel to Romania, Bulgaria, or some other country in Eastern Europe, where dentists are real cheap, and then once back they have complications, and then have to go back again. Heard numerous horror stories.

I think you should be careful on having dental procedures done in SA. People travel to foreign countries where dentists are much cheaper, and once they are back home they have complications. I do not say you will have complications, but what if you do? Then you will have to go back to SA and have it taken care of, (now that will be expensive) or in Australia where you will then have to pay all over again. I know here in Switzerland where dental procedures are very expensive, (a crown can cost up to $7,000), people travel to Romania, Bulgaria, or some other country in Eastern Europe, where dentists are real cheap, and then once back they have complications, and then have to go back again. Heard numerous horror stories.

Not to worry, I'm going back to my own dentist, been with him for 25 years before coming to Aus, He is reliable, knows me and all the rest. Won't go to any one else.

Thnx for the concern

Carelene

Not to worry, I'm going back to my own dentist, been with him for 25 years before coming to Aus, He is reliable, knows me and all the rest. Won't go to any one else.

Thnx for the concern

Carelene

I have had lots of problems with my teeth so will be sure to fix them up before leaving SA!

I have had lots of problems with my teeth so will be sure to fix them up before leaving SA!

Looking at your signature you have not got your visa yet. Have you submitted your application yet? And When?

Have you heard anything this year yet?

Sorry that I am changing the subject!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny thing I work for an international organisation here in SA and the Brits who come here on secondment almost always have their teeth done... braces, crowns veneers etc!!! I don't think you can get the same quality of dental work we get here for cheaper anywhere