HOLT/HIGGINS

billabong

Hi guys, I know someone here lives in Holt, can't rememer who. I've done a lot of "research" on the internet and this area seems nice to me.....any feedback. I see they built a brand new HUGE school there. King something..AND I see the schoolyear in Canberra only starts on 2 Feb! If we come over early Jan next year, that will just suite me fine!! Is this also an older area?..

• Like 1

Hi billabong

I live in Holt. Like most places it has its ups and downs.

The ups are that it has a very convenient shopping centre nearby (called Kippax) with a Woolworths and an Aldi (grocery shops), bakery, butchers, hairdressers, florist, video shop, takeaway places, etc and a very nice public library. It is not too far from an even bigger shopping centre in Belconnen. Kingsford Smith School is brand new, it opened this week. Currently, the school is for kids Preschool to year 7 (but will eventually be up to year 10). The houseprices in Holt/Higgins are at the lower end of the range for Canberra standards. It is an older suburb so the houses tend to be older and smaller with bigger blocks and more trees than some of the newer areas. It is a fair drive into town (by Canberra standards) - during peak hour traffic it takes us 20-25 minutes to get to work in the city centre. Non peak hour traffic: about 15 minutes. So not bad really. There is a nice area where you can take the dog for a walk - maybe you can see whether you can see Drake Brockman drive on GoogleEarth. That road runs past a vineyard and a horse stable and there is a lovely long stretch of dirt next to the road where people go jogging, take dogs for a walk etc. Another thing I like is that about a 3 minute drive from my house there is a great boarding kennel so when I go away I know my cat and dog are in good hands, and the cat hates being in the car so a 3 minute drive is ideal for her. I also like the local playgroup held on Friday mornings, most people who go there live in the area and they are a fantastic bunch of mums who help each other out without batting an eyelid.

The down side is the "bogan" element. I think there are more bogans here than in some suburbs. I have lived in a nice street in Holt for four years but regularly have to listen to the bogans down the roads spinning their car tyres on the road as they drive away. They have a sofa on their front veranda and they like to spend their weekends sitting there with the stereo blaring and in between relaxing on the sofa with a few beers, tinkering away at their several cars parked in their front driveway. There have been a few times when they have woken up my daughter with their horrible cars (exhausts double the size of normal exhausts - don't know whether that could be legal?!) and she always gets a fright when they come roaring past and makes a beeline for my lap and cries "noisy noisy!" Maybe I should take a photo of the black tyre squiggles on the road in front of the house and put it up on the forum so you can see what I'm whingeing about : )

But I put up with it because in the grand scheme of things, if that is the biggest of my worries, I'm pretty lucky, really. I feel safe walking around on my own, even when it gets darker (but I have the dog with me). We are pretty slack about security - often leave the windows wide open when we go out, never lock the back door before we go to sleep, and so far haven't had any problems.

Thanks Kurkprop. Sounds good to me. My daughter must start grade R next year so the school will be perfect. I must say I really dont like the bogans? or whatever you call them, but as you say, in the greater scheme of things.....we'll see. Thank you so much. Hopefully we'll see you early next year! O, loved the bit about 20 -25 min in peak hour traffic!

Bogans in Holt - beware !!! Thanx for the chuckle K, that type of behaviour would drive me insane.

And yes Holt is miles outta town by Canberran standards !! We used to sit about 1hr in Durbs in peak hour traffic !! OH has already adopted the Canberran attitude - his 10min drive to Manuka in peak hour traffic is frustrating him.

Billabong maybe look to see where you will be working and take it from there. I have a friend in Bruce (Belconnen - in the North) and she does not drive and catches the bus to Fyshwick (south) everyday. So it can be done regardless of which side of the lake you are on. Her only complaint is that the bus has no airconditioning.

Rental properties are few and far between in the ACT and most people are just too happy to get a roof over their heads. We did not chose Woden - it was all we could get close to Kingston and a school and at a reasonable rental. Only problem is I really like it here and would love to buy in this area, but sadly it seems outta our reach - hoping Ill win the $40m lotto tomorro - then Ill find myself a tropical paradise in Australia.

Happy house hunting.

My main problem is I don't want to move my child from school to school because we need to "look" for a house. So when I do my "research" I check how far from CBD, schools, rent and can we afford to buy there eventually.....But as you say. I can't actually make up my mind until we are there. I see they are now allocating CO within 10days of your application for state sponsorship being received! BUT we must still get the green light from ACT and that will take another 6 - 8 weeks. But maybe we'll have to be there sooner than early Jan next year. She needs to start school next year. But I see the schools only start beginning Feb there? Which will give us at least a month luckily. Just your opinion on something else please - I suppose there is no use coming over beginning December and start looking for work. I don't think anyone will actually employ someone in December. I think our chances are better for Jan? What do you think. This is now SHOULD we get the sponsorship!

Thanks guys! :whome:

Yes this year the kids in state schools went back 2 Feb.

Sorry but Im not sure what the best month to find employment is - is there a good month ? Im presuming you are asking this because of Xmas and that some places close over this period - and also perhaps being from SA you are thinking of the 13th cheque, therefore people dont normally resign in this period ? In Australia 13th cheques/bonuses are very rare. Not the norm unfortunately !!!

Some businesses close for about 2 weeks - and Canberra becomes very very quiet. Until about the last few days before school reopens.

I know it all seems very overwhelming from where you are, but once you are here you'll be ok. If I was doing it again I would do it the same way - find an apartment for a week or two and check out areas and schools once you are here. The state schools here also seem to work on the old system we had in SA - if you live in the area you are automatically allowed at the school. If not you have to apply - which could then take longer.

Yes this year the kids in state schools went back 2 Feb.

Sorry but Im not sure what the best month to find employment is - is there a good month ? Im presuming you are asking this because of Xmas and that some places close over this period - and also perhaps being from SA you are thinking of the 13th cheque, therefore people dont normally resign in this period ? In Australia 13th cheques/bonuses are very rare. Not the norm unfortunately !!!

Some businesses close for about 2 weeks - and Canberra becomes very very quiet. Until about the last few days before school reopens.

I know it all seems very overwhelming from where you are, but once you are here you'll be ok. If I was doing it again I would do it the same way - find an apartment for a week or two and check out areas and schools once you are here. The state schools here also seem to work on the old system we had in SA - if you live in the area you are automatically allowed at the school. If not you have to apply - which could then take longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Kurkprop, you mentioned stables?

Are these for the owners or can "normal" people also go for rides? Do you perhaps know the general cost of horseback-riding?

y

Kurkprop, you mentioned stables?

Are these for the owners or can "normal" people also go for rides? Do you perhaps know the general cost of horseback-riding?

y

Hi Toitjie

The stables are for riders with disabilities: http://www.pegasusact.com.au/ On the website they say they are always looking for volunteers : )

I have no idea what it would cost to go horseback riding in Canberra. Found this link on the internet http://www.neqc.com.au/index.htm but it doesn't seem to have prices listed. Maybe send them an email?

K