Ulrich_W: Confident that we will get the nod soon!

Ulrich_W

Let us introduce ourselves.

My wife and I are are currently residents of Johannesburg, RSA.

We made the decision to cross the pond shortly after getting married and seriously considered having kids. Socially, economically and spiritually we simply had to have a plan to change our lives dramatically. We have lodged a skilled migration visa, (Ronel has SAP skills and scored 75 points for her skills - ka-ching!)

The crime, grime and undermining of your humanity (I have lost all feeling of charity - its worn out!) was enough, but a failed high-jacking with 2 shot-guns in our faces (luckily they where too incompetent to get the upper hand) was the final straw..

The recent adoption of Mugabe style land grabs was the first step in our cynical future view that has now come true...

Just like most newbies, we have a LOT of questions.

The key question we have is the following:

>IF we get the skilled independant visa - should we get over there first or seek jobs from here? We have registered on Seek.com.au etc, and are applying today to get our names / resume's out, but how will the next steps go? Will we be given telephonic interviews? Will we be required to fly over at own expense for interviews? Maybe a good agent can set up a couple of interviews? Like I said LOTS of questions!

Ps. I am a Product Manager at a major red bank, I cannot advise which one, with an MBA and she is at a certain Green bank, with a Bcom in Informatics plus the aforementioned SAP HR skills / experience

Any tips, suggestions or comments are welcome - and yes - we are ready and willing to move wherever there is a job for any one of the two of us!

Have a wonderful day.

Ulrich & Ronel

Hi Ulrich & Ronel

As you are both in the banking industry, it would perhaps make sense if you do a google on banks in Australia and send your resume to all of them... who knows you may get lucky!

Mara

Hi Ulrich and Ronel,

In my personal experience, Australian employers and personnel agencies tend to not take you seriously unless you are over here...... Unless, of course, they are very desperate!

My advice is to keep hunting on seek.com.au and mycareer.com.au, but to move over as soon as possible after your permanent residence is granted.

Cheers and good luck

Larry

Edited by Larry

If you can afford (financially) to sustain yourselves over here for the first few months - get yourselves over here ASAP! Employers DO tend to rather go for ppl who are already here (less hassle, less time and less costs.....) I'm yet to hear of someone who came over and could never find a job!.... :lol:

The sooner you start earning Aussie $$$, the better. (Whatever you earn in ZAR is worth 5 times less when you get here....)

To give you an idea of what you'll need to make a living with no income, you can work on $800 - $1000 per week to make it (depending obviously if you have kids& how many, do you only drink coke & eat steak etc... :ilikeit: )

Hi Ulrich & Ronel,

It is so sad to hear about yet more South Africans being disgruntled by the way of life there. Unfortunately, it is the truth of the matter, and more and more people will have the rose-coloured glasses removed as the time goes by. :unsure:

Good luck on your decision to come to Aus, and I can assure you, there really is a better way of life! :ilikeit: As Mara mentioned, send your resumé to all the companies in your field of expertise, and go from there. Make sure to mention that you are in the process of applying for a PR visa.

Greetings,

Dreamy

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Quick update!

We where advised on 15 March 2007 that we need to do our medicals and police clearance for the class 136...

By a strange coincidence, my wife Ronel received an firm offer from Brisbane for a position at a consulatncy firm, with business sponsorship for class 457 included...

The race is on as to which one comes through first! We expect a Brisbane arrival sometime in June / July 2007!

Kind Regards

Ulrich & Ronel

Congratulations Ulrich and Ronel!!!! Good luck with everything that lies ahead!

SAS

Hi all

Quick update!

We where advised on 15 March 2007 that we need to do our medicals and police clearance for the class 136...

By a strange coincidence, my wife Ronel received an firm offer from Brisbane for a position at a consulatncy firm, with business sponsorship for class 457 included...

The race is on as to which one comes through first! We expect a Brisbane arrival sometime in June / July 2007!

Kind Regards

Ulrich & Ronel

Hi Ulrich

We came on the 136 skills and were advised to have medicals and at the doctors she congratulated us for getting in to Australia - we were gobsmacked as we thought we had to wait at least 2 years. Three weeks after the medicals we were asked to send our passports if we did not plan on travelling for the next three months....within three months we had our visa's in our passports. As a mortgage broker, I would suggest going for the 136 as opposed to the 457 as the 457 is regarded as a temporary visa here and on a 457 you can only borrow up to 80% and you have to get FIRB approval when buying a house. On the skills however, you get to borrow up to 100%. Some of the banks you can try is ANZ,WESTPAC,NATIONAL,BANK OF QUEENSLAND, ST GEORGE, COMMONWEALTH. You may want to send me your resume as we deal with all the major banks and there might be something available. I know that the NAB on the Gold Coast are currently looking for staff and need a business banking manager.

Hope this helps

Heather

Hi Ulrich

We came on the 136 skills and were advised to have medicals and at the doctors she congratulated us for getting in to Australia - we were gobsmacked as we thought we had to wait at least 2 years. Three weeks after the medicals we were asked to send our passports if we did not plan on travelling for the next three months....within three months we had our visa's in our passports. As a mortgage broker, I would suggest going for the 136 as opposed to the 457 as the 457 is regarded as a temporary visa here and on a 457 you can only borrow up to 80% and you have to get FIRB approval when buying a house. On the skills however, you get to borrow up to 100%. Some of the banks you can try is ANZ,WESTPAC,NATIONAL,BANK OF QUEENSLAND, ST GEORGE, COMMONWEALTH. You may want to send me your resume as we deal with all the major banks and there might be something available. I know that the NAB on the Gold Coast are currently looking for staff and need a business banking manager.

Hope this helps

Heather

Sorry NAB - National Australia Bank

Hi Ulrich

Congratulations, you can also try this site www.efinancialcareers.com. Excellent site!

Regards

Jimmy

Congratulations Ulrich and Ronel!!!! Good luck with everything that lies ahead!

SAS

Congratulations guys...sooo jealous. We have just started the process and are waiting for the skills assessment.

Welcome to the site - hopefully will see you in Qland some time in the near future. We are also hopefully heading to either Gold Coast or Brisbane.

Know precisely what you mean about losing "charity". Its so sad. And I also feel my eyes have been opened and its time to move for all the same reasons you mentioned -spiritual, emotional and economical.

C

P.S. I worked for the blue bank! Glad to have left years ago!!