Decision time

Schon

Hi, I am new to the forum. I received a job offer from the NT Government. I am just worried that I make the wrong choice. When you start telling friends and family about maybe moving, then you get all these mixed responses. My wife will only be able to join me at the end of the year. My 2 boys will not be moving with us as they respectively have 2 and 4 years left of school and they wish to stay in Stellenbosch, finish school in Afrikaans and as the school is so full of tradition, they do not want to miss out on a thing. They will come and visit during school holidays. My sister-in-law stays in Brisbane and she can't wait for us to come over. Will keep you guys posted about my plans.

Hi and welcome to the forum

Northern Territories huh? That'll be quite a change from Stellenbosch, I should imagine!

Ja - we've all had the mixed responses... and everyone seems to have an opinion - whether you want to hear it or not, I'm afraid.

But this is your decision, your life - not theirs!

Best of luck with your decision,

Leigh

You are really facing a tough one. I am pro australia as illustrated in my move but a lot of my decision to go is about my family and i would struggle to go leaving my sons behind. Four years is a really long time. So you have a tough decision to make. I think you should just listen to your heart and dont listen to the horror stories. The key thing is how the move will impact upon your family life and relationships. How does your wife feel? This is really a decision that you need to make together as it affects all of you.

Good luck.

Al

All the best. You all will do great. I used to teach in Stellenbosch. The schools there are excellent. (Hubby also went to Paul Roos)

My wife is very supportive of the move as well as the children. The children are so busy with sport and culture events that they are away from home quite a lot. We also have a very strong family support system in place for them. Well, I have time till end of the month to decide.

No one can decide this major decision for you. And the major part in your case not the Aus move but leaving behind a wife for the better part of a year and your sons for 4 years. Think carefully.

Some points to also consider:

1. You might want to check out the temperature of where you are going.

2. If your sister is in Brisbane that doesnt mean you could see her very often. Aus is huge. A return car trip from Darwin to Brisbane is 7000kms

Hi Schon

I would also ask your children to carefully consider their options after school....especially if they plan on a university education. The transition from an all Afrikaans matric to an all English university, could be trying to say the least....then of course it is also whether or not their Afrikaans education would get them into the course of their choice...especially if it is a highly contested course.....Phew! I am glad that I am not faced with your tough decisions....good luck!

Schon, If I were you I would stay with my family in SA. Australia wont disappear and will still be there in the future if you still wanna move there. On the other hand, if you miss out on 4 years with your kids you can never get it back. Your family is much more important than a job anywhere in the world. You can always find another job.

I left my kids in SA and moved to Brisbane 2 years ago. My circumstances were different from yours but had the same result i.e. just saw them during school holidays, and I really feel sad that I missed such a vital part of their lives. I missed my son's year 11&12 at school and my daughter's year 9&10.

Its a bummer... I promise. Thats my opinion. Good luck with your decision.