Jobs in Adelaide ?

Flanker

Hi Guys,

I have't been on the site since Oct 08' because of work etc.

Our State Regional Sponsorship has been approved during the course of this week (Visa applcation already lodged) but I don't know if I should be happy and excited or concerned about our move. I appreciate Bob and Manny's advice and input but we shall not be entering Australia on PR but a State Sponsored Visa. No PR benefits or advantge.

We've got two kids under three and no idea what the job market in Adelaide has to offer. What puts my nerves at ease a bit is the fact that my wife and I believe in our unity and we've been trough a couple of rough patches before, but without our kids in the picture. I also understand that larger cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane offer a geater number of job opportunities. I must be honest here and confess that I'm aware of our abilities but this is a BIG step towards the unknown.

Our agent persistently reassures us that we are doing the right thing, we'll have jobs within 2 months etc.

Could Bob, Manny or any other please shed some light on what to expect when arriving in Adelaide on a State Sponsored Visa, with basically all our savings (limited) and kids ?

Neville

Neville!

You'll have to enlighten us a bit more, I'm afraid.

You state you've received State Sponsorship from the South Australian gov't . . . . . . is that a temporary work visa for work in South Australia (I think a 475)?

If you're not coming over permanently, on a 176 State Sponsored permanent visa, then the only other option is a temp visa of some sort. Right?

State Sponsorship should offer you some extra flexibility in living in Australia, since you aren't tied down to working for just the one employer? You can shift around from job to job if pay and/or conditions are better elsewhere, as long as you work within the State that has sponsored you? Right?

There are still jobs to be had in Adelaide and in the country regions of South Australia, but the financial crisis is a bit of an unknown quantity and we don't know for sure if we've hit rock bottom yet, still further to go downhill, or whether we are bouncing along the bottom somewhere.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's at this stage, so it's a bit precarious.

If you are in a trade that is in demand . . . mechanic, plumber, nurse, etc. . . . then I don't think your employment prospects will be unfavourable, but if your line of work is such that any Australian can do, then you may find yourself looking harder for work unless things pick up a bit.

However, I still reckon that if you're prepared to do a good day's work, and you're not too fussy, then there is always work for you.

Hi almal daar

How are prospects for Mechanical Engineers or even Mech Maintenance fitters, as hubster has both a degree and trade...? Although he prefers to have a tool in hand rather than staring at a PC...

We are torn between WA and Adelaide, we love the rural lifestyle and Adelaide has loads to offer when you have a family from what we've read...

we hope to buy a 'plot' or smallholding 30mins from a town.

Anybody in the manufacturing/mining industry who can post some info of the job situation...? Are there FIFO jobs if you want to do that for a while?

We've done loads of job searches, but are there any forumites working in this field with some insiders info...? :)

Baie dankie!!

:whome:

Edited by Maplasies

Hi there

Here are a few engineering positions and the second one even says overseas applicants are welcome to apply!

See here Mining Engineer

I'm in Quality Assurance and got a day in 4 weeks DURING THE CHRISTMAS SEASON, The only thing was to be realistic about your asking price. Coming into the Aussie job market you do have less value due to lack of local knowledge (Laws etc) but is very possible and Adelaide is worth it, and the cost of living can be cheap if you shop around.

Regards

B

Neville!

You'll have to enlighten us a bit more, I'm afraid.

You state you've received State Sponsorship from the South Australian gov't . . . . . . is that a temporary work visa for work in South Australia (I think a 475)?

If you're not coming over permanently, on a 176 State Sponsored permanent visa, then the only other option is a temp visa of some sort. Right?

State Sponsorship should offer you some extra flexibility in living in Australia, since you aren't tied down to working for just the one employer? You can shift around from job to job if pay and/or conditions are better elsewhere, as long as you work within the State that has sponsored you? Right?

There are still jobs to be had in Adelaide and in the country regions of South Australia, but the financial crisis is a bit of an unknown quantity and we don't know for sure if we've hit rock bottom yet, still further to go downhill, or whether we are bouncing along the bottom somewhere.

Your guess is as good as anyone else's at this stage, so it's a bit precarious.

If you are in a trade that is in demand . . . mechanic, plumber, nurse, etc. . . . then I don't think your employment prospects will be unfavourable, but if your line of work is such that any Australian can do, then you may find yourself looking harder for work unless things pick up a bit.

However, I still reckon that if you're prepared to do a good day's work, and you're not too fussy, then there is always work for you.

Thanks Bob,

The Visa we've applied for is a sponsored 475 Visa. We could however apply for PR after six months should the employer decide to keep one of us on, on a permanent basis. The 475 Visa does offer the flexibility to move from one employer to another.

My wife and I had this discussion before and we are not fussy or picky in any way, just careful. I'm even considering applying to study towards a trade qualification once in Adelaide. Wife is a Graphic Designer and I'm in sales/project management in the building management & audio visual sector.

Suppose it's "head down" and hope for the best...

Neville

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Bob,

The Visa we've applied for is a sponsored 475 Visa. We could however apply for PR after six months should the employer decide to keep one of us on, on a permanent basis. The 475 Visa does offer the flexibility to move from one employer to another.

My wife and I had this discussion before and we are not fussy or picky in any way, just careful. I'm even considering applying to study towards a trade qualification once in Adelaide. Wife is a Graphic Designer and I'm in sales/project management in the building management & audio visual sector.

Suppose it's "head down" and hope for the best...

Neville

Hi Neville,

I arrived on the 30th of September 08 also on a State Sponsored Visa. I only got permanent employment in my profession (Sales and Marketing - Medical/Pharmaceutical) yesterday 23 January 09 (4 months).

It has been a tried and tested time, but worth it every moment. However as you have said, you can do anything as long as you are willing to do those odd jobs to survive and stay in this country.

All the best with the hunting and moving

Pieter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have't been on the site since Oct 08' because of work etc.

Our State Regional Sponsorship has been approved during the course of this week (Visa applcation already lodged) but I don't know if I should be happy and excited or concerned about our move. I appreciate Bob and Manny's advice and input but we shall not be entering Australia on PR but a State Sponsored Visa. No PR benefits or advantge.

We've got two kids under three and no idea what the job market in Adelaide has to offer. What puts my nerves at ease a bit is the fact that my wife and I believe in our unity and we've been trough a couple of rough patches before, but without our kids in the picture. I also understand that larger cities like Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane offer a geater number of job opportunities. I must be honest here and confess that I'm aware of our abilities but this is a BIG step towards the unknown.

Our agent persistently reassures us that we are doing the right thing, we'll have jobs within 2 months etc.

Could Bob, Manny or any other please shed some light on what to expect when arriving in Adelaide on a State Sponsored Visa, with basically all our savings (limited) and kids ?

Neville

[/quote

Howzit Neville

Contact me when you arrive and we can try and help you with the job search etc.

Enjoy!

Manny

• 2 weeks later...