We leaning towards Adelaide

Asor

Hello!

We are applying for a 175 visa. Our medicals were done on the 5th of January. Been doing a lot of reading, and reading forum posts. We decided on Melbourne, as it seemed an interesting place, and my husband is an IT guy - there are plenty IT jobs in Melbourne...

My husband recently met up with an old family friend who has been in Adelaide for a few years now. His passion for the city made us take a second look, and all I can say is - what more does one need? We have a one year old daughter, and it seems a lovely place to raise kids.

Our only concern is the size of the IT market. Anyone in the IT field that can advise us?

Adelaide does have the highest level of unemployment in Aussie, bUT that is off set by the fact that it's the best place to live. And as for IT show me a city that doesn't need IT. Go to careerone, seek or mycareer on google and search to get an indication.

Just B

Adelaide is also my first choice, but the area of IT in which I find myself is probably not suited for a "smaller" city like Adelaide. I'm looking at Perth or Melbourne as an alternative, although my perfect world solution would be to have a small piece of land in a rural setting, close enough to commute to work, with a goat and a chicken and a vegetable patch for the kids to maintain. ;)

Hi Pygmalion, now why have you not looked at Sunbury, just outside Melbourne......sheesh, I must be loosing my touch!

Hi Mara,

To be honest, I haven't done a huge amount of investigation; we plan to do all that in April when we do our visa activation trip. Assuming, of course, that our visas are granted by then. ;) As I alluded to in my previous post, Victoria is most definitely an option for us, largely due to the fact that we have friends in Seville (about 90km south-east of Sunbury). Furthermore, this particular friend is in the same area of IT as I am (we worked together in the UK), which is comforting to me because at least I know there is a fair chance of getting work there.

We want to get a general feel for Australia and, although a month is really not a lot of time to make an objective decision, we want to see the major areas which appeal to us the most.

Edited by Pygmalion

Hi Pygmalion

Well if you wish to head out Sunbury way, you are more than welcome to drop in, would be happy to show you around! Commute to the big city is about 40mins by train.

Adelaide is also my first choice, but the area of IT in which I find myself is probably not suited for a "smaller" city like Adelaide. I'm looking at Perth or Melbourne as an alternative, although my perfect world solution would be to have a small piece of land in a rural setting, close enough to commute to work, with a goat and a chicken and a vegetable patch for the kids to maintain. :ilikeit:

Then Adelaide is the place to be.

Enjoy!

Manny

Not sure now, but in 2004 nothing big happening in Adelaide in IT. One of the reasons we decided to settle in Perth. Apart from that we loved Adelaide.

Not sure now, but in 2004 nothing big happening in Adelaide in IT. One of the reasons we decided to settle in Perth. Apart from that we loved Adelaide.

The problem is that you need to have citizenship in order to really get involved in the big projects. Adelaide has a huge defense, research and manufacturing industry. There are a fare share of banks, manufacturing, insurance, medical and government. And all are integrated.

Hi Asor

I'm not sure what field of IT you are in but I'm a programmer with a couple of years experience and have been in Adelaide for about 9 months and have not been able to find a job. The last couple of months of last year was very quiet job wise but it has picked up a bit now.

Who knows, you could come to Adelaide and find a job in 1 month, its difficult to predict what will happen. As somebody mentioned, check seek and mycareer for an indication of the amount of work available.

Adelaide is a great place to live and I would recommend it but I dont think anybody can deny that jobwise your chances are better in Melbourne and that counts for a lot.

All the best

• 3 weeks later...

But having said all that, I have just had the phone call offering me a job here in Adelaide.

It basically took 10 months so to say that I am releived and happy would be a huge understatement.