Selling almost everything - Sydney Hills District

carl_sydney

We are moving back to SA in the next 2-3 months and are selling just about everthing.

We live in Carlingford which is at the southern part of the Hills district close to North Rocks and Beecroft.

Just to give you an idea of what we are selling (All negotiable):

1 Year old Queen size bed incl mattress $650

6 Month old Queen size bed $350

6 Month old Lounge Suite $650

6 month old dining table & 4 chairs $250

and lots of other items

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carl_sydney

• zorba

• Stepchook

• Karen-in-Brisbane

We are moving back to SA in the next 2-3 months and are selling just about everthing.

Just out of interest:

how long have you lived in Sydney?

what was/were your reason(s) for leaving South Africa?

why are you going back?

Thanks

I would also like to know why you are going back, just out of interest?

Wish you all the best

Hi Carl,

I'm sure you understand the importance to prospective emigrants of any feedback from those wishing to return to South Africa. As you're probably well aware, emigration is a huge undertaking, so a lot can be learned from your experiences. Naturally, most forumites want to be encouraged in their decision to move to Australia and so - if they're like me - would be naturally curious (worried) to hear of someone going back to South Africa.

Any feedback from you would be hugely appreciated.

Our kids were already 14 & 17 when we arrived here in June 2007. They just did not adjust well to say the least. They were miserable and we in turn became miserable. We moved to Australia for their sake and saw no point in forcing them to stay here.

Edited by carl_sydney

Thanks for your feedback, Carl. I wish you all the best in your decisions and hope that everything works out for you. :thumbdown:

Just add to what I said before, some of the mistakes we made were:

Arriving here with very little money. It gave us very little flexibility in changing our circumstances and dictating our movements.

Being on a 457 Visa we were limited to sending our children to two schools and were liable for International Student Fees (You only pay these fees in certain cities /states especially where there is great influx of immigrants). The fee is about $5000 per child per year. We initially got exemption but eventually had to start paying. The school itself is OK as far as teachers and curricullum go but they have a lot of troubled kids who are undisciplined and unruly.

Without giving long explanations I would say that you can save yourself a lot of unnecessary complications if you arrive here with a PR Visa and a reasonable amount of money. That is if you are moving with family and your plan is to stay here permanently.

That is just our experience. Most people do eventually settle in quite well here. I would have been very happy to stay here if things had worked out a bit better for us. Personally I would consider returning eventually. My wife would possibly need a few years to recover from our experiences here.

Thanks for your honesty Carl

It was a brave move to come here for the sake of your family and it is a brave move to go back for the sake of your family, sounds like you love them very much.

I am really sorry that it hasn't worked out for you, but there are no guarantees in life for any of us are there?

If you decide to return someday I am sure you will find many of us still here on the site to welcome you again and if you choose to go elsewhere in the world, good luck with that too.

All the best

AndreaL

Hi Carl

I'm very sorry to hear about yoour predicament...

You got guts pal, have you considered moving to another city and getting another sponsor...

I can understand that your kids have a circle of friends in SA... but I do think they are going to regret it later in life... post matric and post varsity... perhaps they are not trying hard enough... I'm sorry if I sound judjemental... you probably have more reasons other than the cursed '457' visa... etc..

Best of luck Boet... (think about it again...)

Joefromsa

I can really feel for you. I know another family who left for Perth and returned after a year for the same reasons as you - the kids were miserable. He said he felt that there are windows of opportunity for kids to settle in another country and his kids were in the 13-14yr old group.

They are niow back in SA for 2 years. he was fortunate in that he had PR and plenty money to do the deed twice. He has said he will look at moving from SA again in the future when his kids are older. I think he will consider UK though.

I wish you all the best. I wonder if you should not consider trying to get PR in another city............. I guess you have already thought of all this before and it will be tough enough already for you and your family.

Take care and every happiness in the future!!!

K

Hi Carl,

We live in the Hills District too, in Cherrybrook. I am so sorry that you have not found happiness here!

I assume your kids are at Carlingford High School, or were they at Cumberland High? When we looked at schools we saw both of those and I was very unimpressed by Carlingford (sorry if I offend anyone, just my personal opinion). The school looked neglected and the kids seemed unruly and disresepectful (not standing aside for adults and teachers, graffitti everywhere, FILTHY toilets, etc). So if your kids are there I can fully understand why they didn't settle well.

We too are burdened with the dreaded school fees (also on a 457), so can understand the financial drain. Have you considered moving interstate to avoid paying fees? Speak to your employer about a transfer. If they are not national, look for another job interstate. Or ask them to sponsor you for PR asap. There has to be a way to get around the issues that are causing your family such distress. Money is a bugger, isn't it? Doesn't buy happiness, but sure as hell causes UNhappiness when there's not enough to go around...

Carl, please, please reconsider going back. It's not the same place anymore. I know that you can and WILL be happy here if some of your circumstances could be different.

I have the number of a wonderful recruitment lady (ex-Saffer), will PM you the details. Will also PM you my mobile number, maybe I can meet your wife for coffee and have a chat?

Take care,

zorba

EDIT to say I have sent you a PM.

Edited by zorba

Did you apply for jobs in South Africa yet or do you have one waiting? You must do what you feel right. As I see it you have already made up your mind. Good luck for you! Yes South Africa has changed, but you are a South African and can do it. Keep us informed how things are going when you are back in SA. CECILE!

Edited by koosdup

Thanks for all the supportive messages and offers to help.

Here are 2 pictures of the lounge suites we are selling. I hope the pictures show because attached them straight off my computer.

Does anybody have tips on how I can post the whole lot neatly with descriptions and prices?

Carl

post-12789-1231757330.jpg

post-12789-1231757423.jpg

Hi Carl,

I wish you u and your fam all the best.

I have a 15yr old daughter and I only hope she will adjust well if we ever get to Oz but believe me I know that its NOT easy to live with unhappy teens, heck its hard enough to live with them on a good day.

Hope it all works out back in SA and I hope your kids dont regret the move later one day.

Only when we have our own kids do we truly understand.....

PS: As a matter of interest would you share with us what sort things made your kids mizerable??

Edited by Smartie

Hi Carl,

I wish you u and your fam all the best.

I have a 15yr old daughter and I only hope she will adjust well if we ever get to Oz but believe me I know that its NOT easy to live with unhappy teens, heck its hard enough to live with them on a good day.

Hope it all works out back in SA and I hope your kids dont regret the move later one day.

Only when we have our own kids do we truly understand.....

PS: As a matter of interest would you share with us what sort things made your kids mizerable??

At their age it was difficult for them to be plucked out of their familiar surroundings. My oldest daughter was already in year 11 when she arrived here. She was upset from the day that we said we are leaving. She has already returned after finishing her HSC (Matric) and is very happy back in SA. My younger daughter must have picked up on her sister's vibe and eventually became just as depressed.

Some of the reasons were:

- They missed their family and friends.

- Their school they was a pretty rough environment.

- We as parents were a bit lost in our new surroundings and were not able to fully focus on all their needs.

- We had unusually cold and wet weather in our first 4 months here. That made any outing or activities quite difficult.

- We started to recover financially and settled into quite a nice house but it was all a bit too late. Their hearts and minds were not with it anymore.

I guess there were just a lot of little things that added up. I am actually a bit at a loss to explain all the reasons.

Carl

Thanx for sharing your experiences with us - I want to wish you and your children all the very very best - this must have been such a hard decision.

Thanks for sharing Carl.

Scary stuff! Really tough decisions.

Hope your move back to South Africa brings you all happiness....

Eva

To put the photos with descriptions and prices, do the following:

Uploading pictures:

From your local machine:

When writing a new post or replying to a topic (not FastReply!) You will get the window below.

uploadpic.jpg

Click on the browse button, select the picture you want and then click on upload. Note that you have a limit to the size of picture.

From a website:

If you use this method you can also insert pictures in FastReply

You can upload your photos to a picture-sharing website, e.g.

http://www.photobucket.com

http://www.flickr.com

Look for the 'Insert Image' icon next to the smiley icon at the top of the post. Click on it and paste the link to the the picture in the text field that appears. Your picture will only show after posting the topic / reply. This method has no limit on size.

You can then just type a price and description with each link.

We live in Carlingford which is at the southern part of the Hills district close to North Rocks and Beecroft.

Just to give you an idea of what we are selling (All negotiable):

1 Year old Queen size bed incl mattress $650

6 Month old Queen size bed $350

6 Month old Lounge Suite $650

6 month old dining table & 4 chairs $250

and lots of other items

Hello,

Please advise if you still have anything for sale we are most interested move into our house this weekend.

Do you possibly have a cell or email we could chat directly?

All the Best for 2009.

Mike and Nicole Wright

Thanks Carl, let us know when you are leaving as you obviously still need the stuff until then...

I might be interested in the fridge/freezer. What would be the price tag on it?

I might be interested as well. Please add price tag's on the items.