Melbourne here we come!

Johannes&Caren

Hi everyone.

Just thought we'd introduce ourselves. We have twins aged 7, and we are coming from Joburg to Melbourne (Hawthorn).

This was a VERY quick & VERY sudden move for us. :blink:

- We were "given the option" end of November 08 by hubby's employer

- Got visas issued for the 4 of us in 48 hours

- Did our LSD trip to Sydney & Melbourne 2nd week in Dec 08

- Submitted all the LOADS of paperwork for the 457

- We'll be flying out to Melbourne via Sydney on 20/21 Jan 09

- Moving into our rental house on 24 Jan 09, so kids can start school on 2 Feb 09!!!

What a marvelous site this is, with a wealth of information!

Hope to meet some of the fellow "Saffers" down there.

Johannes & Caren & twins

WE are not to far from where you will be staying (Balwyn North). Let me know if you need any help. (I don't clean house though :blink:)

Ah, I had to chuckle at that one Polly, ok, then, I offer tea and coffee, but I don't do laundry work!

Welcome Johannes & Caren and twins, hope you will be very happy in your move to Melbourne! If you need anything, feel free to PM me!

WE are not to far from where you will be staying (Balwyn North). Let me know if you need any help. (I don't clean house though :o)

Ah damn! What are the options though? Is there at least an ironing service in the area? I've heard that there are agencies that come in say once a week to do a quick spring clean. Help! :hug:

Ah, I had to chuckle at that one Polly, ok, then, I offer tea and coffee, but I don't do laundry work!

Welcome Johannes & Caren and twins, hope you will be very happy in your move to Melbourne! If you need anything, feel free to PM me!

Thx Mara. Uhmm - what is PM? :hug:

PM is when you send a Personal Message...... Click on the member's name and you get options that include PMs ... :hug:

hi guys

Welcome to the forum :hug:

Wow - that really is a fast approach!!

best of luck with everything - ad keep us posted from there,

Leigh

Mostly you do it yourself, though I think you do get ironing services.... lots of dry cleaners around, though very few laundromats.

Don't worry, you will get used to cleaning :hug: Minimize your stuff, get a good vacuum cleaner and everyone picks up after themselves, it isn't so bad (though the last is easier said than done :ilikeit:)

Any info you need, or directions or whatever... we are around :o

I could order pizzas and have them delivered... ??

Johannes and Karen, I noticed in your post that you have rental house sorted; did your company org this or did you.. ?

I have found Australian estate agents or rental agents don't even have the courtesy of replying or acknowledgeing your email...

Be that as it may... CONGRATULATIONS, you WILL enjoy Melbourne... (As long as Mara and Polly are there... you will have no issues...

Joefromsa

(See ya in April09, 'blerrie' Mate)

I could order pizzas and have them delivered... ??

Johannes and Karen, I noticed in your post that you have rental house sorted; did your company org this or did you.. ?

I have found Australian estate agents or rental agents don't even have the courtesy of replying or acknowledgeing your email...

Be that as it may... CONGRATULATIONS, you WILL enjoy Melbourne... (As long as Mara and Polly are there... you will have no issues...

Joefromsa

(See ya in April09, 'blerrie' Mate)

Hi Joe

We are looking forward to Melbourne, but with all the packing and arrangements definately mixed emotions at this stage.

We spent 4 days in Melbourne viewing probably 12 different properties with a relocation company called Auatraliawide relocations +613 9826 0001, Felicity Beaumont (www.australiawiderelocations.com). They have a system of putting down the specs (bedrooms, bathrooms, price range etc.) ahead of time, so YES we had some help in screening. We only started dealing with the agents after the initial contact and seem to have been more fortunate with responses etc. We hope you can sort this out.....!

Cheers

Johannes

Hi Johan & Caren

Well done with the quick work. Phillip and Lana on the forum are leaving for Melbourne on the 20th Jan 09 - Perhaps a good idea to look them up as they will also be settling.

What does your hubby do and who will he be working for.

Hope all goes well - Stay in touch

Brenda

Hi Johan & Caren

Well done with the quick work. Phillip and Lana on the forum are leaving for Melbourne on the 20th Jan 09 - Perhaps a good idea to look them up as they will also be settling.

What does your hubby do and who will he be working for.

Hope all goes well - Stay in touch

Brenda

Hi Brenda

We'll look Phillip & Lana up for sure and all the rest of the forumites...

Johannes is a CA, currently in Operations and works for Yum Restaurants (they own KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, etc...) He is looking forward to getting to know the Australian markets.

Crown is starting with the wrapping of our stuff in 2 days time - so things are chaotic in the house!! :rolleyes:

Speak soon.

Caren

Welkom Caren en Johannes. Ek is seker julle gaan Melbourne geniet. Polly maak nie huis skoon nie en ongelukkig is ek nie 'n baie goeie "baby sitter" nie, maar skree as julle enige hulp nodig het. (Ek sal wel koek bak wanneer my container ook eendag opdaag)

Groete

Nanette

Hi Johannes en Caren!

Good luck with everything.. not long now! Exciting times!!

How old are your twins? I'm asking as we have "two of those" and are already panicking about the plane trip with two 2 year olds..

so I thought you'd have some "tips"?? :unsure:

Hi Johannes and Caren, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you are going to enjoy Melbourne. Good luck with all the craziness, I can only imagine how frantic things must seem.

All you Melbourne people are making me really excited to be there later this year :unsure: Can't wait to meet you all. And I'll make Lasagne and Waffles. But not so good with the babysitting :cry: But then I actually enjoy cleaning a house, so I might be able to help out there ;). Maybe for a piece of cake.

Welkom Caren en Johannes. Ek is seker julle gaan Melbourne geniet. Polly maak nie huis skoon nie en ongelukkig is ek nie 'n baie goeie "baby sitter" nie, maar skree as julle enige hulp nodig het. (Ek sal wel koek bak wanneer my container ook eendag opdaag)

Groete

Nanette

Hi Nanette. Ons is ook van Fourways omgewing! :)

So wat maak jy intussen sonder meubels? My moed sak sommer in my skoene as ek sien hoe lank party mense vir hulle containers wag... Maar joune val seker nog in die standaard 6 - 8 weke nê.

My bestelling is solank vir 'n sjokolade koek... :ilikeit:

Groetnis,

Caren

Hi Johannes en Caren!

Good luck with everything.. not long now! Exciting times!!

How old are your twins? I'm asking as we have "two of those" and are already panicking about the plane trip with two 2 year olds..

so I thought you'd have some "tips"?? :ilikeit:

Hello there.

Renier & Tanya are 7. But I am sooo lucky because they are born travellers. When we came out for our LSD trip in Dec, we flew with Qantas and they were glued to those movie screens for hours on end - there were enough kiddie movies to keep them occupied. What also help is the fact that the flight to Auz is overnight - so they are asleep for most of the flight. I've also put their favourite CDs (stories & songs) on the iPod.

Thinking back to when they were 2... having a goodie bag filled with a few surprises that you introduce one by one, as the need arises used to work magically.

You might get the odd sighs & looks of desperation from your fellow passengers when you come down the isle with kids & baggage, but just ignore them :)

Best of luck!

Hi Johannes and Caren, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you are going to enjoy Melbourne. Good luck with all the craziness, I can only imagine how frantic things must seem.

All you Melbourne people are making me really excited to be there later this year :) Can't wait to meet you all. And I'll make Lasagne and Waffles. But not so good with the babysitting :D But then I actually enjoy cleaning a house, so I might be able to help out there :ilikeit:. Maybe for a piece of cake.

Hmmmmm... Can't wait for you to come to Melbourne either - will take you up on your offer for Waffles :ilikeit:

All the best!

WOW nog Saffers in Melbourne. Ek sê nou die dag vir my man toe ons in die winkel loop en ek die kinders skel dat ek dit nie eintlk doen nie want hier is so baie mense wat gaan verstaan as ek sê: "hou op stout wees of ek gaan jou foeter as ons by die huis kom". ... gelukkig die wat kan verstaan piets ook hulle kinders by die huis.... :)

Ek doen nie babysitting nie, ek bak nie so miskien sal my kuiers gaan nie so baie aftrek kry nie... :D

Welkom aan al die mense hierso nuut in Melbourne. Dit is werklik waar 'n great plek! :ilikeit: