Buttermilk

Jeanne

I live in a small town and they don't often have buttermilk in the shops. I want to bake buttermilk rusks but I want to know what I could use instead if I can't find any? I have the clover recipe that is posted here on the forum.

Also has anyone tried to freeze buttermilk? If there is some available I may want to buy and keep for later.

I made my scones the other day and didn't have buttermilk in the house. Too lazy to get in the car just for buttermilk. I looked in my Snowflake baking book and here it is:

Mix 150 ml milk with 15 ml lemon juice. Let it stand for 5 min.

My scones came out the best I ever made them! :ilikeit:

Hierdie ta'mossie is darem maar n bo-baas kok!

Nee jong, nie eintlik nie, dis net 'n kwessie van die 'nood leer bid'! :ilikeit:

• 3 weeks later...
I live in a small town and they don't often have buttermilk in the shops. I want to bake buttermilk rusks but I want to know what I could use instead if I can't find any? I have the clover recipe that is posted here on the forum.

Also has anyone tried to freeze buttermilk? If there is some available I may want to buy and keep for later.

Jy kan ook gelyke hoeveelheid natuurlike yogurt gebruik of die suurlemoensap vervang met witasyn, 20ml asyn op 250ml (1koppie) melk.

I will remember that! I hate it when you want to make something quickly and then you dont have some obscure ingredient.

Thanks

Al