A South African Goth in the Food Courts of Australia

Ladyfingers

Have you tried advertising your room on gumtree or Easyroommate - with the students going back to Uni would think you would be getting a lot of interest.

For work try the temp agencies they often get odd jobs using skills like you describe and at least it will bring in some cash and introduce you to a couple of employers. Randstad, Westaff, McArthur all deal with a variety of different roles not just basic admin.

Yep, everyone has me "on the books" but I never get any phonecalls. My mix of skills is weird and hard to find a position for (although once I'm in I quickly prove my worth).

Tried the online thing with gumtree and easyroommate, but only a few chancers. My housemate has taken over the job (he intends to turn a profit) so we'll see if there's any improvement.

Ladyfingers

I cannot promise anything, but send me your contact details. We have a part-time employee that is going overseas for six weeks at the beginning of next week, I can ask my boss if he needs someone to fill in. She works three days a week. The only problem is, we are out at Tullamarine, near the airport, would you be able to get here?

PM me your contact details if you are interested.

Ladyfingers, I have spoken to my boss, he is interested and would like to see a copy of your cv.

I have PM'd you my office email address and telephone number.

Ladyfingers, I have spoken to my boss, he is interested and would like to see a copy of your cv.

I have PM'd you my office email address and telephone number.

Thank you Mara!

With the temp agencies make yourself a nuisance spam them constantly and phone them - also check for any job advertised that is vaguely suitable and go in on that which usually helps them to identify what it is you do. Glad at least Mara can help you get a bit of work and hopefully will lead to something more satisfying.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys - have just started reading Ladyfingers' fantastic posts and they have come to a sudden halt - anyone know how things are going? Are you still out there Ladyfingers??!! you can't leave me hanging like this :o:o

• 4 months later...

Hey guys - have just started reading Ladyfingers' fantastic posts and they have come to a sudden halt - anyone know how things are going? Are you still out there Ladyfingers??!! you can't leave me hanging like this ohmy.gifohmy.gif

Hello there.

I'm semi-settled back in Sydney now after a year in Melbourne. I've been here the requisite 4 years and need to get my citizenship sorted out.

As regards my opinion on the country, not much has changed, except I'm rather vexed by the property market here which is in a ridiculous bubble. There's a massive collapse on the way. I hope to take advantage of it. Anyone in Australia buying property now needs to have their heads read.

Welcome back Ladyfingers...good to know you are still around. Yes...property. I'm (un) lucky enough to live in Moranbah where a scabby little 3 by 1 fibro usually goes for $700 000 because there is such a shortage of housing, we are seeing nearly all our services/infrastructure people having to leave town because they can't afford rents of between $1500 and $3000...hope the bubble bursts soon.

Welcome back Ladyfingers...good to know you are still around. Yes...property. I'm (un) lucky enough to live in Moranbah where a scabby little 3 by 1 fibro usually goes for $700 000 because there is such a shortage of housing, we are seeing nearly all our services/infrastructure people having to leave town because they can't afford rents of between $1500 and $3000...hope the bubble bursts soon.

Not to disparage your town, but $700,000 for rural Queensland? That's insane. I thought Sydney was overpriced.

The thing that irks me is how obviously in bed the media and government are with the property industry. Billions written of in tax to prop up people with too many houses. At some point the landlords will no longer be able to service their loans, and no-one will be able to pay their bank-inflated prices, so the asking prices will drop, which means the banks will be hesitant to loan, which means the property prices will collapse.

Good to see you back Ladyfingers! I've missed your posts. Alas, still no blog update... I can be patient. ;)

Not to disparage your town, but $700,000 for rural Queensland? That's insane. I thought Sydney was overpriced.

The thing that irks me is how obviously in bed the media and government are with the property industry. Billions written of in tax to prop up people with too many houses. At some point the landlords will no longer be able to service their loans, and no-one will be able to pay their bank-inflated prices, so the asking prices will drop, which means the banks will be hesitant to loan, which means the property prices will collapse.

That price is probably soley due to a huge influx of people because of the massive mining boom rather than any structural tax or what not. Don't know about Sydney but prices in Brisbane have softened already over 15 months to leave the median between $400,000 to $500,000 somewhere. Best value in mainland Australia but it is pleasantville compared to Syd/Mel :)

Edited by Fish

• 1 month later...

Well, after moving back to Sydney after breaking up with my girlfriend in Melbourne, I got a good job, but the work environment was too stressful (or rather the boss was a bit of a control freak), and I wasn't in the best state of mind as it was and so ended up having myself a little nervous breakdown and quitting.

I've had my first long break in a few years (after being exploited as a "contractor" by one of my previous employers with no leave for years) and using all my other acquired leave for my various moves. I'm feeling a little better rested now and looking for work again. I have a little business opportunity with an old friend but it will take months before it'll support me and so I'd be happy to start temping again just to bring the rent in.

Anyway, that's me for now. If anyone needs a filing clerk or anything at the moment, let me know.

• Like 1