We need....EVERYTHING!!....

bananagirl

Hi

We will be in Mandurah (South of Perth) on the 17th of January, we need everything:

1. A car: +- $8000

2. Entire household content.... as in everything..... we are interested in bikes and camping eq as well

3. Furnished rental for the first week (17-25 January)

4. Unfurnished rental on permanent basis.

Please contact me if you want to sell your stuff or you know of accomodation available

Happy new year to ya all..

BG

BG check out ebay.au (there's an advanced find where you select items within a 20km radius of where you'll be so its easy for pick up) and garage sales and you'll also arrive in time for January sales so you can be up and running in no time! You can also hire furniture and appliances until you're on your feet. Best of luck!

We were in the same boat as you. We brought all our furniture at Ikea (situated in Perth) - they are way, way cheaper than everywhere else we looked. Their stuff is really nice and they have a huge range - even their trendy leather stuff is cheap! Oh, and they do deliver - I think it cost us $40 for them to deliver our entire household to our doorstep!!!

We shopped around for appliances and found Harvey Norman to be slightly cheaper than the rest (but it was marginal). I am really impressed with them, because one of the appliances they delivered - the fridge - arrived with a few small dents in the front. Considering it was an expensive item and that the dents in the light of our kitchen were quite obvious, we decided to complain (something we rarely do). We took photos and went to the shop to show them. As it happened, the fridge was the last one in stock and was a model which was to be replaced. It cost us $1500 (you do get much cheaper fridges in case you are worried by the price - this was a stainless steel one). Anyway, the new model was almost $2000. They insisted on giving us the new model in exchange!!! No paying in, nothing!!! Plus they gave us a water filter jug and a barrage of apologies!

With regards to cars - we found that for some or other reason, second hand cars are ridiculously expensive! A car with over 120km on the clock is barely a couple of thousand cheaper than buying the same car new! Admittedly we didn't look around too much in the second hand market (I am sure that there are bargains to be had), as we didn't really have time. We brought a car the day after we arrived in Perth and we received it one week later (just in time as our rental car was on a weekly basis).

If you decide to buy a new car, just be warned. They don't appear to have the same regulations here as back home. The price advertised is not always the real price... this is the price before they have added the salesman's commission and tax etc. You want to look for the "drive-away price". This is what you really pay.

Hi Guys, in Perth we have a Oz version of the "junk mail" called the Quokka, which also has an on-line component, so you may be able to contact sellers before you get here as well. check out www. quokka-online.com I think.

We found our double door fridge here at a very good price from some people going back to the UK,

Also, there are what is called Salvo's (shops run by Salvation army) which I've never shopped at but I'm told some bargains there as well.

Good shopping

Joseph

If you have the time, buy your car at the auctions.................much cheaper plus you get the balance of what ever car warranties to be had. You can get some really good bargains. Most cars are ex government fleet , so they are in really good condition and servcied no0rmally nothing older than 36 months.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi BG,

I am not sure how upmarket your family is, but don't rush into buying everything the minute you arrive. Mandurah is a big town and there are many bargains available. The local paper Mandurah Mail is full of classifieds and gumtree.com.au also has a lot to offer in that area. Garage sales are also a good source of goods.

Mandurau has a bulk disposal week in Feburary where people put all there unwanted goods onto the pavement and the council comes arround to collect them. We are simple people, who at this stage need furniture to live with, rather than display. We arrived the week bulk kerbside pickup happened and collected piles of stuff for the kids, and piles of bits an pieces to get us going. You need to buy the basics like a fridge, freezer and washing machine. Those are available out the paper or secondhand. The bigget thing is getting over the R7 to $1. Things are by no means cheap here but when you start to earn Dollars it does become a little easier.

Cars are also available cheep. redbook.com.au will give you an indication of what you should expect to pay for a vehicle and what the milage should be for that model. Generally there are heaps of second hand ones around people often park them on the side of the road with FOR SALE signs on. You could also try pickles.com.au for ex goverment vehicles, they are an auction house but have a lot of vehicles they sell directly. Dont rush into buying a car, there are lots around, they will probably have high milage but vehicles here don't work nearly as hard here . The speeds are slower, distances further and there are not as many stop streets, this all helps in preserving the car. With the money you have to spend , you should be able to get a good vehicle.

Accomodation is a little different but run a search for caravan parks with Chalets or park homes. Most of them have some sort of self catering available. You would have to supply your own bedding and towels but the rest is provided.

It is a huge adjustment and change to everything you know but as time passes you find your feet and things get a lot easier.

Best of luck