Anyone in Darwin??

hestie tt

Hi there

We have a job offer in Darwin/Katherine and are looking for more info! What we have found so far looks much better than we expected. Now for that very old question- how much to earn to make a decent living. Any aliens (saffers) out there??

Hestie :blush:

Hi there

We have a job offer in Darwin/Katherine and are looking for more info! What we have found so far looks much better than we expected. Now for that very old question- how much to earn to make a decent living. Any aliens (saffers) out there??

Hestie :blush:

Hi Hestie

Daar is al hoe meer Saffers wat Darwin toe gaan. Ek self sal hopenlik Februarie daar wees as ek my huis net verkoop kan kry. Daar is ook ander Saffers wat volgende jaar daar gaan wees wat ook gaan werk by Department of Planning and Infrastructure.

Omdat Darwin/Katherine as rural areas geklassifiseer word, het jy baie ander voordele soos byvoorbeeld minder inkomste belasting ens. Ek neem aan die job offer is in Katherine?

Die groot probleem met Darwin is behuising. Darwin groei tans verskriklik ten spyte van wereldwye ekonomiese probleme. So, huurhuise is BAIE skaars en ek dink Darwin is die duurste plek om te huur in Australie....MAAR.....

As jy later sou wil huis koop, maak die staat dit vir meer mense moontlik om te kan koop deur middel van hulle huislening pakkette wat net beskikbaar is in die Northern Territory.

Jy kan meer hieroor lees hier http://www.buildstart.nt.gov.au/. Kyk ook na nog hulp hier, http://www.nt.gov.au/ntt/revenue/home_incentives.shtml veral onder HomeNorth Shared Equity Loan op daardie blad.

Jou vraag oor wat jy moet verdien hang van baie dinge af en ook vir wie julle werk ens. Ek self gaan werk vir die staat en hulle gee sekere voordele. Jy het ook meer voordele as jy eers PR het.

Johan

Hallo Hestie

We arrived in Darwin 7 days ago. I dont know much about Darwin at the moment but I can tell you the following.

Everybody mention the weather when you ask about Darwin and believe me the weather is something to get use to.

I think if you come from Durban or Richardsbay area maybe the weather will not be so bad. I am from Gauteng and the humidity is bad.

As mentioned before housing is a problem in Darwin. If you want something decent you are definitely looking at AUSD600 or more. Most of the suburbs in area have all types of housing in them. In the same street you will get very nice houses to some real dumps. The newer suburbs are better to stay in but as said before expensive. We have also discovered that you can ask for a lower rent and will get it. The townhouse we stay in was advertised for AUSD700 and we managed to get it down to AUSD650. In general housing is a problem.

The town is not very big nor to small. If you are a big city girl then Darwin will not be what you are looking for.

Petrol at the moment on the average is AUS1.17. Foodstuff I dont find that more expensive but cant really comment at this stage. Roads are not to buzy. There is a nice shopping centre in Causarina where you will find anything you are looking for.

Asked about the price for a movie ticket and it is AUSD15.00 on Tuesday evening AUSD9.00

If there is any specific info you need I will try and help.

...Katherine and Mataranka (100kms south of Katherine) are my current stomping grounds.

Having survived 14 months in Alice Springs, I wouldn't move to Katherine. A small, fairly backwater country town. It has everything you need (except a shopping mall), but there are lots of social problems with the Indigenous people.

Town survives mainly on the tourism feeding off places like Katherine Gorge. In the dry it gets packed with visitors - in the Wet even the snakes leave town! (ran over a heap of them today...)

Just come back from another trip to Darwin and had all our dives cancelled because of cyclone Billy - bummer!

I absolutely love Darwin! Weather HAS to be the most humid in all of this country though...not the best beaches becauses of the tides, mud and harbour, but I do like the town (sorry, city!) But like all towns/cities, there are places to stay and places to try and avoid.

Hope that helps...