Medicare

Diveup

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed before on this forum. When can we legally apply for Medicare? I am on a 457 and I have applied for a 175 visa. I have no CO assigned to me. I have only confirmation of my 175 visa application payment. Help will be much appreciated.

Diveup

I remember seeing a post a few weeks ago about someone who said that they managed to get medicare on a 457. You should find it if you do a search of the forum.

You can apply to Medicare as soon as you have lodged your 175. I am not sure what you will need as proof, or whether they can actually access your details on their computers, but I would head into a medicare office with your receipt and check with them.

You can apply to Medicare as soon as you have lodged your 175. I am not sure what you will need as proof, or whether they can actually access your details on their computers, but I would head into a medicare office with your receipt and check with them.

I just posted on this issue. We got our Medicare this morning. We are here on a 457 visa, and we already lodged our PR in August. We went into the offices, with a letter from immigration as proof that we lodged, with our file number and client ID numbers on it, and we had in in 10 minutes. We needed this letter, passports, and also hubby's work contract, proof of residence and a utility bill.

Hi Olkabolka/Mara,

Thank you for all the information. I went to medicare in Cairns and they want original paperwork. As my PR application was done online I printed the reference number and supporting documentation. They say they still require original paperwork. How do I get a letter from immigration?

Diveup

Hi Olkabolka/Mara,

Thank you for all the information. I went to medicare in Cairns and they want original paperwork. As my PR application was done online I printed the reference number and supporting documentation. They say they still require original paperwork. How do I get a letter from immigration?

Diveup

We are working through an agent, and unfortunately immigration only send info to our agent, and the agent to us, but if you did it without an agent, you can phone them yourself. Our agent just phoned them, and explained what we need, and it was send to the agent the next day. I don't have any numnbers, but I'm sure you can google them.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I finally got my medicare cover today. My migration agent sent me a letter stating that my 175 had been lodged and copies of my 175 payment.

Yipeeeee.

Diveup

Hey Diveup,

How's the diving up your neck of the woods?

Managed to get wet yet?

Hi Tracy,

I am really enjoying Cairns. Great place, great people. Spent Australia day with all the South Africans at the esplanade. Excellent day, good company, beatiful scenery. Just an awesome place.

Diveup