TRANSPORT AND RAILAGE

TARA

At home (SA) travelling 20km to work and back is (besides the traffic back-up,accidents,road works etc)is do-able,

Does anybody have any advise on travelling in Perth,what is thepublic transport system like ,is it better to have a car and use the road or go public,I am looking at residing 20 km away from where I will be working in Perth next year(the same as here at home at the moment),is it as much of a problem as I have heard or is it the same as here at home.

Time wise and so forth,I presently live in Pretoria

Hi there

I live in Perth currently. It all depends on where you will be. Generally speaking, the public transport (buses and trains) are excellent. You can set your watch by them and very rarely are the delays.

In some areas however, it's not as accessible. Let me know where you will work and where you plan to live and if I know the area, I might be able to provide more meaningful comments.

To give you a general idea - I work in the CBD. I live 48 km's out of the city. I live 5 mins from the busstop. So 5min walk to bus. Bus takes me to train station for free... mahala... Then on train for 25 - 35 mins.... Then short walk to office (ie 10 mins). Door to door aprox 1 hr. And time on the train I spend reading etc... I don't mind it at all.

If I drive to the station by car it's approx 45 mins. It's a 5 min drive to station.

Hope that helps - as I've said - it all depends where you will end up.

Regards

L

Hi there

I live in Perth currently. It all depends on where you will be. Generally speaking, the public transport (buses and trains) are excellent. You can set your watch by them and very rarely are the delays.

In some areas however, it's not as accessible. Let me know where you will work and where you plan to live and if I know the area, I might be able to provide more meaningful comments.

To give you a general idea - I work in the CBD. I live 48 km's out of the city. I live 5 mins from the busstop. So 5min walk to bus. Bus takes me to train station for free... mahala... Then on train for 25 - 35 mins.... Then short walk to office (ie 10 mins). Door to door aprox 1 hr. And time on the train I spend reading etc... I don't mind it at all.

If I drive to the station by car it's approx 45 mins. It's a 5 min drive to station.

Hope that helps - as I've said - it all depends where you will end up.

Regards

L

Thanks for the feed back

I will be having to travel from Aberdeen street Central Perth to Beechboro,

What would that be like (travelling )?!

A bit too hectic or as it would be here,are the roads as jam packed as here at home or is the traffic congestion a bit better?!And what would the public transport be travelling that distance and route?!

Really sucks not being able to go and see for myself before I get to Perth

Thanks

Tara

Why not have a look at http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/

You type in your start journey and end journey and it tells you exactly how to get there. Isn't Aus efficient?

Looks like it would cost $3.50 and take 46 minutes

Edited by Jordy