Chili sauce

milo

Hi there,

I'm desperate for a chili sauce recipe. One that makes about 1 litre and can be stored for a while. I guess any recipe can just be multiplied.

My husband and 2 brothers-in-law all love spicy foods. They buy chili and peri-peri sauces from all kinds of places.

The other day they were talking at a braai and came to the conclusion that they still haven't found THE SAUCE.

The one that they will buy again and again. Not even Nando's, Wellingtons or any other franchised brand sauce has made it to be named THE ONE.

It has to have just the right amount of sting, with some added garlic and the thinkness/consistancy of KOO tomato sauce. They complain that most sauces are too runny.

Please help! I'd like to make each of the b-i-l a bottle as a gift for Christmas.

I have a notebook with some great jam, chutney and sauce recipes hiding somewhere in my study, will dig it out and post some of my favs

I found this in an Asian cookbook last night... maybe give it a go...

2 small red chillies, finely chopped

2 cloves of garlic, crushed

2 teasp soft, brown sugar

1 tbsp soy sauce

1 tbsp vinegar

1/2 cup (125ml) boiling water.

Combine all in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 mins or until sauce starts to thicken.

I assume you can keep simmering till it reaches the desired thickness....

Good luck!!

Here's a recipe that I used to make when I had a restaurant, it's really tasty but more of a chutney than a sauce, forgive the non technical terms!

2kg Tomatoes, peeled and chopped

6 Onions, roughly chopped

A few gluggs of Veg Oil

4 cloves Garlic, crushed

1 inch Ginger, grated

10ml each of mustard seeds, coriander seeds, perppercorns, origanum, cloves, star aniseed and dill

2 Bay leaves

100g Brown (treacle) Sugar

100 ml Apple cider Vinegar

Splash Soya sauce

10 chilis (about - depends on strength)

Brown all the seeds in a dry pan for a minute or two (they should start popping but not burn) remove seeds and add onions to the warm pan, cover in oil (not too much) and soften (they should be glassy, not brown), add garlic and ginger and cook for a few minutes. Chuck in the cooked seeds, add tomatoes and remaining ingredients and stir. Leave this to simmer on a low heat until desired consistency is reached. I use a stick blender for a smooth sauce or leave it chunky for a chutney consistency.

This one is a little smoother and less sweet than the previous one, but doesn't have the same depth of flavours:

Chili relish

1 large tin tomatoes

1 ea red and green pepper

1 onion

1 small cucumber, peeled

1 clove garlic

3 fl oz wine or cider vinegar

pinch ea allspice, cumin, salt & pepper

1.5 tsp brown sugar

juice of half lemon

chili to taste

drain tomatoes and remove pips (can use a colander to remove them)

process all veg in a food processor

place all ingr in a pot and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated

Thank you girls,

I'll be in the shops today to get all the ingredients. Will report back after I tried the recipes!

Will let you know after Christmas, which sauce was crowned THE ONE!!

Edited by milo

Will let you know after Christmas, which sauce was crowned THE ONE!!

What a brilliant idea - the great chili cook off!

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Sorry I'm only giving feedback now. Our PC died and went to Tech-heaven. Had to buy a new one at the cost of a flight ticket to Oz!

Some feedback on the chilli sauce crowning!

Legalbuff's Asian chilli sauce, went down well and was finished quickly - and I doubled the quantities! (Think I enjoyed most of it)

Hubby hovered over the pots the whole time with comments like - some more garlic, some more chilli, no don't stir it too much, it needs more vinegar (!?) (I refused to add more vinegar) I was very patient with the guy the whole time.

I liquidised Cindylou's pot a little bit until it had the consistancy hubby approved of and bottled it into Grolsh beer bottles. (He drank like a sailor for a few days so there would be enough bottles :) )

The b-i-ls were handed their gifts with great pride from hubby and me - and we waited....

Cindylou's chilli sauce was crowned THE ONE!!

Two days after New Year's I was asked if there is more available and they'll pay for it!

Thanks girls, you helped me win some favour with the in-laws ;)

• 3 weeks later...
The b-i-ls were handed their gifts with great pride from hubby and me - and we waited....

Cindylou's chilli sauce was crowned THE ONE!!

Two days after New Year's I was asked if there is more available and they'll pay for it!

Thanks girls, you helped me win some favour with the in-laws :whome:

Hi Milo

Which of the recipes did you use? Hope you had fun...

C'Lou

Oops sorry. :whome:

I used the first recipe - the one with the 2kg tomatoes, because green peppers aint a favourite in the family.

:ilikeit: cool, our chilli bushes are about to ready to burst and I think I'm going to make some sauce...