SA Braai

maryInOz

Hi guys,

Thought it would be nice to have a SA braai early next year. Get together a few Saffers and have a few beers ;)

10 Jan 2009

Bicentennial Park (Olympic Park) http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/Visiti...centennial_park

11:00 am

Last time everyone brought their own drinks and meat, and each family brought a small salad, then we all share salads. But feel free to bring only your own if you wish, no worries mate!

And good news is that if no fire ban that day, seems we can do a charcoal braai :) But then have to bring the weber along... Anyone feeling up to it, please do!

Not sure yet where exactly in the park to meet, as we will have to see which bbq area is open when we get there. If anyone has any ideas, please share!

We would also need to know if anyone is interested, so let us know if you will be joining us!

Hope to see everyone there!

Lekker dag! ;):ilikeit::ilikeit:

Sounds like a VERY good idea!! Will try our best to be there. A while ago when we were in Melbourne there was a get together and they marked the area with balloons think it was blue and purple or something - VERY good idea!

I am keen to help if there are anything that needs to be done!

Im sure I will meet you before the time but we are in - 2 of us :blink: I think we will be staying quite close by so its awesome!!

Hi Mary, I will arrive in Sydney on 31/12 and look forward to your braai. Henning

Hi guys,

Thought it would be nice to have a SA braai early next year. Get together a few Saffers and have a few beers :)

10 Jan 2009

Bicentennial Park (Olympic Park) http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/Visiti...centennial_park

Last time everyone brought their own drinks and meat, and each family brought a small salad, then we all share salads. But feel free to bring only your own if you wish, no worries mate!

And good news is that if no fire ban that day, seems we can do a charcoal braai :) But then have to bring the weber along... Anyone feeling up to it, please do!

Not sure yet where exactly in the park to meet, as we will have to see which bbq area is open when we get there. If anyone has any ideas, please share!

We would also need to know if anyone is interested, so let us know if you will be joining us!

Lekker dag! :ilikeit::):ilikeit:

Hi guys,

Thought it would be nice to have a SA braai early next year. Get together a few Saffers and have a few beers :)

10 Jan 2009

Lekker dag! :):):D

Sounds like a great idea to me. Will definitely try and make it there. We arrive in Sydney on the 1st Jan......Packing tomorrow, getting a bit nervous, so we'll need a good few beers after we arrive, with some fellow SA folk....

Sounds like a great idea, we would love to meet up with some South Africans!!

Great location and kids would love it. Olympic Park also have a free outdoor cinema in January. On the 11th 'Wall-E' is showing. Kids events from 5pm and the movie starts at 8:30 at 'The Overflow'. After the braai, those that feel up to it and have kids could always go to the Overlow and enjoy the movie.

Please let me know what we can bring with.

Looking forward to it....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

Hope you all had a wonderful Xmas and new year!

I now have a map of the park, and I marked with red circles the possible spots we would use. We've been there before, and don't worry, the marked areas are not at all that far from each other.

Thing is, we HOPE to get one of these spots. We will probably go early (around 09:00) to secure a good bbq area. Think I'll get some balloons to put up, so at least everyone will know which party to join :ilikeit:

In the event where we do not manage to secure one of the marked areas, I do apologise, but we will then get the next closest one. Please don't give up! We will be there! We will do our best though. If you would like my mobile number, send me a PM.

Anyways, have a look at the map. And then we hope to see you all there! Remember, bring own meat, drinks, and a salad to share (if you wish). And then don't forget the basics, such as plates, knives and forks, glasses, etc!

See ya Saturday! :ilikeit:

post-10787-1231116989.jpg

Hi Everyone

Did you guys have the braai? We only arrived at about 2 pm and are wondering if you have left by then (or if we just completely missed you.?) We did find one other SA couple Nicole and Mike and ended up having our own mini braai.

LB

Ek wil ook weet: WAT DE ... HET GEBEUR? kan ons SA'ners nie by ons woord hou nie? is ons so sleg? Daar is mense wat moeite gedoen het om net deur die ander se lee beloftes gedrop te word. red nou 'n volk met sulke mense!

En dan wil ek ook weet: wat doen die Ausies as hulle vir 'n aand wil uitgaan? Al wat ek kan sien is dat hulle Eet en Drink en dis nou nie heeltemal wat ek in gedagte het nie. Op die stadium sal ek graag iets wil doen waar ek nuwe mense kan ontmoet.

Hoop die volgende braai is bietjie meer van'n sukses (realiteit).

Groete

Henning

Hi all.

Lets organise another one ?. We have all the time in the world so lets get something going........This time though, wear BOK shirts or something........But lets not become disheartened.

Hope to meet you all soon. Andre and Liezel, lovely meeting you guys on saturday, hope we can do it again some.....

Cheers.

Mike.

Hi all,

I suppose I should have stressed the point that we need to all gather early (thus the 11:00) to keep the bbq area.

By 09:00 all the areas were taken, we arrived just before 08:00 to secure 2 spots right next to the kiddy play area.

Eventually we had to give up 1 spot first, as others were wanting to use it. We were only 4 adults there, so it was hard holding on. Unfortunately there was no way we could wait until 2 or later (remember we've been there since before 08:00!).

Nobody pitched by 11:45, so we gave up. Other people also want to use the facilities, and it is unfair if we just sit there and not use it.

Sorry for all those that did come later, glad at least to hear you guys found each other!

Hope not to offend anyone, but I'm not volunteering again for organizing the next one. Again, suppose I should have stressed the reason for going early and the importance of it in order to even get a spot.

But hope someone will volunteer and then we can all meet! Would be nice to meet some more people, we were terribly disappointed that we did not get the chance on Saturday!

Hi Guys,

I only saw this post over the weekend, but would not have been able to make it as we were looking for a house.

The best way to organise would be set a specific time, at a specific place and have loads of markers. Balloons normally work well, tell everyone that they are Red or whatever color you have arranged.

And specify a landmark, that way people know what to look for.

:blink:

I'de been to one of the braai's in Perth, and they organised it nicely, there were loads of people. Come on Sydney, I'm sure we can do it.

:blink:

Hello, we got there at around 12:30 and looked everywhere for balloons or something that looked South African, but lots of other people had balloons and we weren't sure where anyone was and also ended up having our own. The shirts would be a great idea, or maybe a flag.

I'm not volunteering to organise it but would love to come.

Thanks

Ilana

• 9 months later...

I have wondered, the people in Melbourne seems to make a success out of these, a couple of guys/girls from a a previous company I worked for get together once in a while and it works out great for catching up. We were at Bicentennial Park on a previous occasion and this was quite a drive for us and we got lost, the place is huge. Anybody keen to attend/meet up for a braai ? just testing the waters and suggestions for a venue

cheers

jo1