Gee: Hi from new member Gavin

Gee

Hi all on this forum,

I'm Gavin and found this great website last week and am quite chuffed about it.

I am married to a wonderful wife and have 2 children - a daughter of 6 and son of 2 and a half.

We have received our permanent residency to Australia and are planning to settle in Mebourne at the end of 2007.

I'm an IT professional - in the consulting/Business Analysis field having commenced my career in the Accounting sector.

My family and I are excited re our planned move to Oz but also quite apprehensive especially re the adjusment of our kids. We are however positive people and know with the correct attitude we can make it. It also helps us in that my Father lives in Melbourne as its alswyas a big plus having family near.

We have made 2 trips to Melbourne over the past 2 years and loved the city and surrounding areas

I look forward to chatting to you all on this and other forums

cheers all

Gavin

hi gavin

welkom op die forum! dit maak dinge net baie makliker om met ander mense te chat wat klaar deur die skuif is! julle is gelukkig om familie in melbourne te he, dit gaan die aanpassing verseker makliker maak.

corne'

Hi Gavin

Welcome to you and your family and your decision to eventually settle in Melbourne!

I agree it is the greatest place to be!

Mara

Hi Gavin and family :cowboy:

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your last year in SA.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Corne, Bronwyn, Mara, Dreamy

Thanks for the great welcome posts.

See you on the various forums soon to chat

cheers

Gavin

Welcome Gavin, hope you have a ball of a time here on the forum and that get all the answers you need.

And don't worry about the kids, they adjust quicker than most adults with immigration. :)

Cheers

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there Gavin,

Welcome to our forum. I see that you are in IT and are moving to Melbourne... If you don't mind me asking, you don't perhaps have some business/process analysis experience using some of the Rational Tools like RUP or something along those lines ? :) Excellent news that you already have family in Melbourne. Family is the only thing missing in my experience of Australia thus far, the rest is all very close to perfect.

Looking forward to having you on our forum.

Love

Sunshine Sister

:)

Hey there Gavin,

Welcome to our forum. I see that you are in IT and are moving to Melbourne... If you don't mind me asking, you don't perhaps have some business/process analysis experience using some of the Rational Tools like RUP or something along those lines ? :ilikeit: Excellent news that you already have family in Melbourne. Family is the only thing missing in my experience of Australia thus far, the rest is all very close to perfect.

Looking forward to having you on our forum.

Love

Sunshine Sister

:whome:

Hi there Sunshine Sister

Thanks for the post and welcome to this great website

Per your post, I have worked with RUP (Rational Unified Process) to perform business process modelling however would not call myself an expert.

I have also used certain of the RUP best practises like Use Cases, Actors when not using RUP.

Other modelling tools I've used are IDEF 0, Metastorm(workflow software with embedded process modelling capabilities) and the all time favourite Visio.

My major worry in us migrating to Melbourne next year is me finding work as this is the main security for my family and I.

I truely believe I have great skills and experience to offer the IT community in Australia, particularly Melbourne.I've cruised the main webbased jobsites re IT positions i.e. Seek, My Career and Career One and noticed many, many positions, both contract and perm which I would be suited to.

It's just making the shortlist and getting an interview, which my friends who have already moved to AUS say is quite difficult.

The more my family and I think about it , it would probably be best for me to come over alone before them to secure work and get into the swing of things. I've been told this will take a lot of strain off my family and myself - What do you think?

Any assistance or experience you have in "cracking" the shortlists or igetting nterviews would be really welcome as I believe in Austrlia there is a specific manner by which one should go about this

ok then

stay well

cheers

Gavin

Edited by Gee

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there Gavin,

My honest opinion ?

If I were you I would bring my lovely wife and two great kids with me. I would prepare them that the first couple of months may be a bit rough, but at least you will be together, safe and finding your feet together while discovering an exciting new city/environment. As you will be coming over with PR already in the bag, you will have a major advantage over most others. I would contact some of the forum recruitment experts (Ajay, Shandell and Rialet come to mind) and have a chat to them about what to expect and what to do in preparation for interviews, CV styles and testing techniques that are very specific to Australia. Once the homework and preparation is done, I would start sending my CV out a couple of months before my planned arrival, possibly come for a couple of interviews on a 1 week business visit of jam-packed business/career action and move as soon as a job has been secured. I don't see you having any problems in finding a nice job, just ensure that your CV is local market friendly and prepare beforehand for telephonic interviews / personality test and the like.

Just my R1 (2 Aussie cents :whome: ) worth.

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

I was actually hoping you were gonna say Yes, RUP expert ! But I'm sure there are loads of opportunities out there, no worries.

Just my R1 (2 Aussie cents :ilikeit: ) worth.

Hi SS

With that kind of rate of exchange you should invest all your Aussie dollars in RSA and make a killing!

Guest Sunshine Sister
Hi SS

With that kind of rate of exchange you should invest all your Aussie dollars in RSA and make a killing!

LOL !!! Hehehehehe. :ilikeit::whome::)Excellent thinking !! Unfortunately the exchange rate only applies to my advice, which is worth little when it comes to South African things.. Hehehehehe.

Love

SS

Hey there Gavin,

My honest opinion ?

If I were you I would bring my lovely wife and two great kids with me. I would prepare them that the first couple of months may be a bit rough, but at least you will be together, safe and finding your feet together while discovering an exciting new city/environment. As you will be coming over with PR already in the bag, you will have a major advantage over most others. I would contact some of the forum recruitment experts (Ajay, Shandell and Rialet come to mind) and have a chat to them about what to expect and what to do in preparation for interviews, CV styles and testing techniques that are very specific to Australia. Once the homework and preparation is done, I would start sending my CV out a couple of months before my planned arrival, possibly come for a couple of interviews on a 1 week business visit of jam-packed business/career action and move as soon as a job has been secured. I don't see you having any problems in finding a nice job, just ensure that your CV is local market friendly and prepare beforehand for telephonic interviews / personality test and the like.

Just my R1 (2 Aussie cents :whome: ) worth.

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

I was actually hoping you were gonna say Yes, RUP expert ! But I'm sure there are loads of opportunities out there, no worries.

Hi again Sunshine Sister

Brilliant advise - just the direction I need - thanks a ton and I enjoy your honest and positive manner - its just what I was looking for from experienced Aussies like yourself.

Yes - I am a definite realist and know only too well from people I know that migrated that those 1st few months are tough but ...it's all about attitude and managing your and your loved one's expectations.

I will definately hook up with Ajay, Shandell and Rialet re the whole recruitment topic and style

cheers

Gavin

Hi Gee,

Welcome from another expat Capetonian (with her heart still in Cape Town). I am very new to Melbourne and it is really a big change especially for the kids. I have 2 - 1 2.5 year old and 1 8 month old. My husband came over, got a car and a house and then we followed a month behind him. That made it much easier on myself and the kids.

My husband works for a project management software company who are always looking for employees. You can PM me if you want more info. Have a look at there website www.primavera-aus.com

Good luck with packing up on that side.