Permanent terug na SA!

koosd

Question

Mens hoor so baie van mense wat oorkom na Oz en sukkel met die aanpassing, terugverlang en maar hier aangaan. Die laaste tyd was daar mense wat selfs besluit het Oz is nie vir hulle om watter rede ook al en terug gaan SA toe. Ek wil graag weet of daar mense is wat terug gegaan het en die tweede keer baie gelukkig en meer tevrede is met SA?

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• bluebonnet

• PhillipJ

• koosd

• polly

Top Posters For This Question

Baie onwaarskynlik dat jy sulke mense op die forum sal kry.

Nog selfs meer onwaarskynlik dat mense wat voorheen genoeg rede gesien het om SA te verlaat nou rede sou sien om terug te keer.

Hi Koosdup

I was one who went back to SA but came back as soon as I could. Friend of us also went back to Cape Town and are also back in Perth. None of us could fit back in SA anymore and appreciate AUS every moment. Nowhere is paradise but I dare say Aus is closest to that. (I've travelled the world for work and am off again, soon).

I actually posted in a similar topic before, here's the jest:

We moved back for 1 year to SA in 2002 (was planning to stay min 4 years), but having lived in Aus for 4 years by then, we could not fit back in SA at all and I realised that I still see my family very little, even living there, but with TONS more stress. I realised that visiting SA is great (to see family and friends) but living there and becoming part of the "system" again was a completely different and VERY negative experience (was a nightmare trying to fit in...) We had an attempted break-in (3 of them) whilst we were inside our "security complex" and had to hget alarms, security gates and a gun whilst under the impression "security complexes" well, were SECURE! Not to mention the constant lookout and suspicion wherever we went, the absolute 3rd world services (standing 9 hours in a que from 06am to renew a drivers license was the absolute last I could take) etc. etc.

But we were not the only ones who went through this. We have friends who went back to Cape Town after living in Aus for a few years (also missing friends and family) and they too have returned to Perth a few months ago. They also had a very negative experience trying to fit back in the SA system.

We had a very personal and expensive "learning curve" going back to SA but now enjoy and appreciate Aus much more since returning 5 years ago. AUS is :ilikeit: I can never live in SA again but enjoy visiting.

I make an effort to go and visit family at least every 1.5 years and don't miss them as much as before (knowing I still see them "failry" regularly). Another thing I have learned is that I do not allow any family to take me to the airport. I get a rental car and say my goodbyes at home and drive myself to the airport where I hand back the rental car. No more emotionally loaded goodbyes, which are typical at an airport. This is the worst place to say goodbye.

PhillipJ

We lived between South Africa and the Uk a few times.. left Sa initially in 1996 to move to the UK

moved back to SA at the end of 2000. lived there for 18 months and realised how limited we were in our field of employment.

Moved back to the Uk in 2002.. and weren't happy so back to sa after another 18 months.

Husband started his own business in painting/tiling and renovations.. seemed to go well until he was questioned about BE and

his staff quota.. and then realised that we needed another option. .. thought about putting in an application for Australia on a skilled

independent visa.. which we did in April 2006. Whilst we waited for the outcome we moved back to the UK to save, as

the pound was stronger than the rand. Our visa was granted within 8 months, and we came over to vailidate in Dec 06..

and moved here from the Uk in July/Aug 2007. Eventually found what we had been searching for after all those years.

no where is perfect, but for us this is close enough.. :ilikeit:

Thankyou sa2uk2oz and PhillipJ for these posts.

I hope that anyone feeling very homesick or struggling to settle will take heed of your experiences - thank you so much for sharing.

zorba

:unsure:

9 months in Perth

Some people settle and adapt easier than others, it also depends on what line of work they are in. Looking back nine months later

dont know if we made the right decision. Does this new kind of stress appear to be less than the fear of crime in SA.

9 months in Perth

Some people settle and adapt easier than others, it also depends on what line of work they are in. Looking back nine months later

dont know if we made the right decision. Does this new kind of stress appear to be less than the fear of crime in SA.

Friends listen to my good advice. We validated our Visas in 2003 and then moved to Aus/Melbourne 2005. After 5 months decided to move back to SA. Had a nice honeymoon period for a while but it wears off after a while. Moved back to Aus Jan 2008. Much beytter this time round, more focussed. Do not let the difference of Aus cloud your vision. Best thing we ever did to come back and well we can get citizenship August next year Yipee. My advice get your citizenship, you can always always go back to SA but you cannot always go back to Oz until you have citizenship. Do it for your future security and your kids. You may go back to SA and in 5 years time it may go bad. How much will you regret that you did not get citizenship then?

Just do it!!

Mens hoor so baie van mense wat oorkom na Oz en sukkel met die aanpassing, terugverlang en maar hier aangaan. Die laaste tyd was daar mense wat selfs besluit het Oz is nie vir hulle om watter rede ook al en terug gaan SA toe. Ek wil graag weet of daar mense is wat terug gegaan het en die tweede keer baie gelukkig en meer tevrede is met SA?

Goeie more

Ons was in 2006 in Mackay. Die besigheid wat ons oorgevat het het nie oop kaarte mens ons gespeel nie en ons was baie teleurgestel en het teruggekom na SA. Na 'n gewapende roof in Januarie 2007, net 'n maand nadat ons terug is, het ons besluit om terug te gaan na Australia. Dit het ons byna 2 jaar geneem maar ons is uiteindelik oppad terug soontoe. SA sal nooit weer kan wees wat dit was nie en in Australia is daar meer plus punte as minus punte. Veral vir mens se kinders wat geen toekoms hier het nie. Die verlange is groot maar dit word beter met tyd glo ek.

Groete

Fienie

I agree wholeheartedly. Get your citizenship, establish a real backdoor. Odds are , once you have obtained your citizenship the urge to return to SA may not be so strong.

Hello All....

Sorry I am a bit confused now, I thought once you have PR, that shoulde be sufficient?

Does the PR visa not allow u in unlimited? R there restrictions?

Sorry to take away from the topic, ........

Thanks

Tash

Hello All....

Sorry I am a bit confused now, I thought once you have PR, that shoulde be sufficient?

Does the PR visa not allow u in unlimited? R there restrictions?

Sorry to take away from the topic, ........

Thanks

Tash

Permanent residence visa allows you to travel in and out of Australia for the first 5 years

after validation. Must return permanently after 5 years if you have not aquired citizenship

by then.

OK Strawberry, I am going to attemtp to explain this PR thing, hope I am going to make sense. I will base it on a scenario, perhaps that will make it easier.

John validates his PR on the 1st January 2008 he has a three week holiday and returns to SA to sort out his business before moving over to Aus. On the 1st January 2011 he returns to Aus to settle permanently. Since validating he has been gone for 3 years. When he gets to 1st January 2013 he has to get his visa renewed, as he has not been here long enough to take out citizenship. As he has only been in the country two years, instead of five, immigration will only renew his visa for two years. In other words, for as long as he has now lived in the country. At the end of the two years, although he is now eligible for citizenship because four years have elapsed, he will once again have to renew his visa, because his citizenship application could take another eight months or so. Also during this time he cannot afford to spend any length of time out of the country, otherwise it will just take him longer.

The renewal of his visa for every term mentioned above, is more of a formality, than anything else, it is not the big scene you go through to get it the first time.

My suggestion is therefore that you are better off coming sooner rather than later, as that way you should have enough time to be here on PR for the required four years to apply for citizenship and get it before your initialy five year visa expires.

If I am wrong in my understanding, I am sure one of the immigration consultants will tell me so.

After reading this on news24 this morning.... I dont think I'd come back... rather learn from other's mistakes...

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/...2438787,00.html

"Mthethwa had gone to Harris and his wife Adéle's Doornkop home to get first-hand information about the murder of two of their relatives.

Chris Bam, 57, and his son André, 28, were shot dead by robbers in July.

André was shot in the head and died instantly. Chris was shot six times and died three weeks later.

"We are not angry. We're praying for the attackers.

"The first few days racism reared its head, but I told my wife it should stop.

"We love this country. We moved to Australia, but came back. "

Ek weet van 2 gesinne, die een was om en by 2 jaar in Sydney en die ander 5+ jaar in Perth. Beide is terug en is oënskynlik baie gelukkig in SA.

9 months in Perth

I agree, not all people handle it the same way. People are talking about better lifestyle, when they talk about reasons to move to AUS or NZ, but that all depends on what you descibe as the lyfe style you would want to lead. A friend had all the help in the house and garden she could think of, once moved to AUS, found that she had to do all her self and just couldn't cope with house- and garden work and spend time educationg the children and be her own person and have a social life.

Once you decide you want to leave SA, make sure of your reasons, and hold on to them.

This has really been an interesting topic to read. We arrived September this year and believe me I miss the family back home so very much not a day goes by that I dont wish they could experience what we are experiencing in our new home country. We are only on a 457 Visa but cant wait for the day that we can get PR. We decided to make the move for the sake of our children and my goodness when I see my daughter (14) walking around the park with her friends laughing and joking I thank God daily for this opportunity and no matter how hard it may be financially and the settling down aspect - WE WILL DO IT. I love the time we have spent here and I consider it my home - I need my children to experience how I grew up in the UK many years ago, the freedom and sense of peace. So to the all Australians that have to endure us foreigners invading there country I say thank you.

K

Ek was vandag weer by n oud Sa ners koek en tee. Daar het ek weer met almal gesels en besef dat elkeen die aanpassing anders vind. Sommiges pas dadelik aan en ander vat 5maande en dan kry jy vrouens wat eers na 4 jaar heeltemal aanpas. Ek dink dit hang maar af van persoon tot persoon en elkeen moet doen wat hy dink vir hom die beste is. Almal weet dit is beter vir ons kinders hier in Oz, maar daar is net mense wat nie hier kan aanpas nie. Jy hoor nie baie van mense wat terug gaan nie al is daar baie wat dit doen. Ek wonder wat die rede daarvoor is....is oud SAners so kleinlik om te dink dat almal dieselfde moet wees?

Hi Cecile

Ek stem saam met jou, almal ervbaar die emigrasie storie nie dieselfde nie. Een ding kan ons nou maar een maal nie ontken nie en dit is dat dit baie moeilik is. Ons persoonlik pas baie goed aan en is gelukkig al het ons nog een getroude dogter in SA waarna ons baie verlang (terloops sy is oppad om vir ons te kom kuier, ons gaan haar vanaand haal in Melbourne, kan nie meer wag nie). As iemand nie kan aanpas nie en terug wil gaan moet ons ander SAfrikaners hulle ondersteun en aanvaar hulle wil graag teruggaan. Ek voel dit is 'n persoonlike ding wat in 'n familie besluit moet word en dan het so 'n familie net ondersteuning nodig. Dit is nie die einde van die wereld as iemand teruggaan nie, dit kos net baie geld, mens moet dit net regtig 'n goeie kans gee en as dit steeds nie werk nie is daar dan geen ander keuse nie. Ons bly baie lekker, het nog 'n getroude dogter en haar man en ons kleinkind van 1 jaar bly ook saam met ons hier in Ballarat so dit help seker baie maar sterkte vir die ander wat baie sukkel.

Linda ( ek het vir jou en Koos hallo gese by die Melbourne braai, as jy my kan onthou)

I agree, not all people handle it the same way. People are talking about better lifestyle, when they talk about reasons to move to AUS or NZ, but that all depends on what you descibe as the lyfe style you would want to lead. A friend had all the help in the house and garden she could think of, once moved to AUS, found that she had to do all her self and just couldn't cope with house- and garden work and spend time educationg the children and be her own person and have a social life.

Once you decide you want to leave SA, make sure of your reasons, and hold on to them.

As difficult it might seem for some to understand, including me, it is exactly what keeps certain family members of mine from moving away from SA. What women all over the world have been doing themselves,,some in SA just do not want to do all that, they have never, and will never. I cannot imagine certain members of my family cleaning and doing yardwork, that is the way it is, I know it is disgusting. Rush home after shopping to catch the domestic before she leaves, remember she has to carry the bags inside. :blink: To me it is sad, or shall I say pathetic, and to think that is what they do not want to give up, and will rather live with crime. :oops: Now I asked myself many times,,why should I care and worry about them??

Edited by Edwina

Ja Oosie ek onthou jou baie goed. Ek mis glad nie my bediende wat ek een dag n week in Sa gehad het. Die self huiswerk, stryk en tuinwerk pla my glad nie. As dit maar net dit was wat my pla om terug te gaan, dan sou my besluit anders gewees het. Meeste van ons Sa ners is harde werkers en gee nie om om hul eie toilets en huis skoon te maak.

Ja Oosie ek onthou jou baie goed. Ek mis glad nie my bediende wat ek een dag n week in Sa gehad het. Die self huiswerk, stryk en tuinwerk pla my glad nie. As dit maar net dit was wat my pla om terug te gaan, dan sou my besluit anders gewees het. Meeste van ons Sa ners is harde werkers en gee nie om om hul eie toilets en huis skoon te maak.

Ek stem saam. :blink: Om een of ander rede hinder dit my, en dit in SA is net moontlik omdat daar goedkoop arbeid is, en so het dit maar verder gegaan, ons kan dit mos bekostig nie waar?? en dan later is dit maar net onmoontlik om sonder dit klaar te kom. Maar die luuksheid hoef hulle nie in OZ, Europa of Amerika op te gee nie,,dit kos net heelwat. My vriendin van Indie hier in Switzerland doen "putzwerk" (skoonmaak) ,,haar salaris per maand meer soos CHF 5,000 (ongeveer R40,000) nie sleg nie. Wel, in Australia en US is dit maar net so duur om iemand te huur om jou huiswerk/tuinwerk te doen. Maw, dit is maar n groot aanpassing vir die wat nie gewoond is aan lewe buite SA nie.

My vriendin van Indie hier in Switzerland doen "putzwerk" (skoonmaak) ,,haar salaris per maand meer soos CHF 5,000 (ongeveer R40,000) nie sleg nie.

Ja,dit klink baie in SA terme, maar haar Switserse huur, kos, water, elektrisiteit en belasting betaling aan die Switserse owerhede loop tesame CHF 4,999,so al wil sy spaar,kan sy nie.

Die teenoorgestelde is waar in ZA.

n' bediende wat dagliks haarself uit kontrakteur teen R140,00 verdien R2800,00 maandliks.

1)Haar belasting is R 0,00 want sy verdien onder die taxable threshold.

2) Haar huur is R0,00 want sy woon in n' shack.

3) Haar mediese onkostes is R0,00 want sy gaan staatskliniek en staatshospitaal toe gratis.

4) Haar elektrisiteit is R0,00 want sy tap in gratis by die substation.

5) Haar water is gratis want sy tap in gratis by die communal standpipe.

6) Haar TV is R0,00 want sy betaal nie n lisensie daarvoor.

7) Haar gemiddelde kos is die goedkoopste in die land want pap word nie belas nie.Dis net die vleis,hoender en aartappels wat haar eintlik duurder kos.

So, INDIVIDUALLY, is ons bediendes op papier heelwat beter af, en teorieties KAN hulle spaar (as hulle net 'n Skotse mentality kon koester.)

Die rede hoekom hulle nie kan spaar nie is die hoeveelheid kinders en "dependants" wat op hulle teer,en die feit dat hulle bly aan om duur taxis te ry, in plaas van om n' "initial" opoffering te maak en 'n cheap Vuka scooter te koop (soos die meerderheid Sjieniese en Indiers) .

Dit gese, bly dus jou vriendin beter in Switzerland.

Heard this statistic from a friend of a friend the other day and have been wondering how valid it is :ilikeit:

According to them (now happily settled in Brisbane) 4000 families leave here MONTHLY and 2000 return.. :)

True??

Heard this statistic from a friend of a friend the other day and have been wondering how valid it is :)

According to them (now happily settled in Brisbane) 4000 families leave here MONTHLY and 2000 return.. :)

True??

Hi Battiss - 4000 families leave where? sa or aus?

Battiss. This friend of a friend is propagating the urban legend- 4000 come, and 2000 go back. Rubbish