New beginnings...

Red

Kirsten - you are a gem! It is wondeful to read your posts. You make us all feel so happy for you!!!

K

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Red

• Lyn

• Alida

• Karen-in-Brisbane

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi K, soooo you'r mobile, thanks to Bob and the bike shop. Well done!! Now for Bern to get work and a family rental away from all the "interesting" people!! I'm sure you'll miss the music mix!! LOL!!! Not to mention the curry smell.

Keep us up to date with your adventures Down Unda, makes for very interesting reading.

The Zoo was a big highlight… for any Australian… yip! We got to see Lion, Giraffe, Meerkats, Hippo, Leopard… you name it boy… we saw all the African animals… eventually we spotted a sleeping kangaroo, and a sleeping koala… By the way for those that think you see Kangaroo’s around the suburbs, it’s like the equivalent to South Africans having Lion in their back yard.

You won't believe it, but in the Sunshine Coast, Noosa area, the kangaroos actually do hop around your back yard and in the street in front of your house. We were quite shocked when visiting my Dad in March, while walking the dogs, we encountered some Kangaroos along the way.

Mid week, we went up to visit with Aussie Bob, and his wife Ginnie. Well, we actually went to pick up Mitsi. (Mitsi is our new addition to the family. A rather sporty looking, 1989 Hatchback Mitsubishi Colt… at least we won’t have to carry anymore frying pans or washing baskets from the shops). So we arrive at Bob’s farm and we get invited for tea… I know Bob’s going to chuckle when he reads this, but I kept wondering if true-blue Aussies ate kangaroo for supper…. Thank goodness, we ate normal food, that was wonderfully cooked on a very hot BBQ… topped with a lovely glass of wine, great hospitality and awesome conversation! Bob also took us for walk around a part of his farm, showed us some tea tree’s, rain water tanks and pointed out his sheep.

Bern says ‘Hey Bob! You’ve got sheep!!!’ Bob says… ‘I know what you’re getting at mate’!!!

Yip they do eat Kangaroo - pretty much like we eat Springbok / Kudu. They call it "Skippy"

Edited by MANDIBRENT

Well . . . . .

I wasn't going to chuck them in the deep end on their first week here.

Next time, maybe, we can start some Australian "cultural" lessons on cuisine.

Witchety grubs and wallaby, followed by snake and cockatoo, marinaded in Barbeque sauce??? . . . . . all washed down with a couple of stubbies of VB.

Whatdaya reckon?

Well . . . . .

Witchety grubs and wallaby, followed by snake and cockatoo, marinaded in Barbeque sauce??? . . . . . all washed down with a couple of stubbies of VB.

Whatdaya reckon?

Eeeeoooowww!!!!!

Well . . . . .

Whatdaya reckon?

I reckon that's a marvelous idea - skippy doesn't actually taste that bad though - and VB, well that is something my hubby is yearning for - had it when we were over there on holiday and thinks it's mother's milk. "flat out like a lizard drinking" when he touches that stuff. he he he !!!!

The start of week 3.

Early in the week I had an experience that I am sure only a South African could understand. Becca and I were walking home from a stint at the ‘Big W’, and I noticed we were being followed, every step of the way. All the way up Marlborough he followed, every step of the way, didn’t want to alarm Rebecca but told her to walk a little faster… but he walked just as quick… Every step of the way. Past the bus stop, and across the road. Further up the road, I slowed down and he stopped outside the butcher shop, to ‘look in the window’. I sped up and snuck into another pathway that leads to our apartment block, not near our flat (because I didn’t want him to see), but enough to see him hopefully pass up the road… next minute I hear steps... look back and he is now RIGHT behind us… with… with damn keys… for his unit… So I pretended to be looking for something I had supposedly ‘dropped’ in the bush. Rebecca was so confused and I felt so damn neurotic. So the person following was actually just another tenant, I keep wondering what he was thinking of me.

Flat living has been great, I think I have now officially met the Curry Family Father, and China Man and I are still regular late night laundry club members.

Bern went to the registration department to register Mitsi in his name, and the amazing part was that they didn’t even want to see his driver’s license. Yip, that’s correct, you can actually own a car, EVEN if you aren’t a qualified driver. Funny though, Bern realised mid week that the drivers license he keeps showing everyone actually expired in 2007… thank goodness the cops haven’t stopped us… Luckily he found his current license and was able to drive. Although it did occur to me that his new mountain bike was sitting in Rebecca’s room, and that perhaps he was going to use the excuse – Sorry love, I can’t drive… buutttt I can take my bike…

Some Aussie things I’m learning.

• You don’t say Howzit… you say ‘Hiya’

• You don’t say Cheers… you say ‘See ya’

• And Cheers is ‘thank you’

• Trains with diesel engines need to be banned, man they are loud.

• If an Aussie (or anyone for that matter) gets rude, (for us English speakers) just speak Natal Afrikaans, even if the broken ‘taal ‘you’re speaking would make an Afrikaaner cringe.

• Everything get’s shortened, like rego (registration), journo (journalist), salvo (salvation army)… you get the point.

• Alcoholic apple ciders do not seem to be popular here. Beer drinkers seem to have endless choice.

• Smokers have it hard. A carton of smokes is going to cost the best part of R700.00.thank goodness I stopped before we arrived.

• You don’t hear all that much swearing in public, BUT switch on to some TV channels, and it’s quite shocking, and I ain’t no prude.

Bernard and Mitsi did a great job of getting us safely to Victor harbour, an hour South of Adelaide. Along the route though we noticed how concerned the Aussie’s are with speed. They have these red and black markers all along the highway that indicate a fatalities (black) and injuries (red). They even had a sign stating – Accident free for 95 days.

At Victor harbour we rode a horse drawn tram over a causeway across Encounter Bay to ‘Granite Island’. The small tram is pulled by one great Clydesdale horse that weighs approximately 1 ton. Getting off at the tram stop we went for a 2.5km hike around the perimeter of the island. I think Becca has decided that Australia and walking are one in the same thing.

Mid week, when Bern went out to look for work, the girls decided to do some baking. Why I even bothered I am not entirely sure, but we went ahead. For some reason the mixture that we put together was way too sticky. It stuck to me, the counter top and the rolling pin. Fed up I told Becca.. ‘enough!! I am packing this in’. So I go to wash my hands, and no water. Picture this. My hands are coated in sticky mess, the bowl, spoon and rolling pin are coated to, Rebecca sobbing because I am tossing her baking mess in the bin, and my temper growing because WHY did I even plan this, when I am not, and probably never will be a baker. The only way to get this off, was to run my hands under fridge water… it worked but crikey my hands were frozen after that. Perhaps it cooled the temper and I decided to go ahead with cooking the sticky mess. Unfortunately we were unable to make the gingerbread men, so I made a gingerbread filled baking tray, and once cooked cut into squares. Becca was happy that she had baked something, and I was relieved I didn’t entirely ruin her day.

But the lack of water problem persisted, and then the mind started to wonder off… ‘South Australia has water restrictions, did I use too much water, and now we have to pay, worse yet do we have a monthly water allocation and I’ve used it all… and now we wouldn’t have water for Christmas, how would we shower… join a gym, perhaps, use their water’…

Turned out actually that the gardener had seen a leak and switched off the water mains, clearly not thinking about the residents, but more about water conservation.

Good on ya mate!!! ;)

Til the next time, take care,

Kirst

PS. If anyone has a fail (fool) proof recipe for gingerbread men, please let me have it… Yes, I am going to attempt another baking session. It is the Christmas Season after all…

Edited by Red

Brilliant Kirsten!!!!! before you know it you will be a Martha stewart (without the jail time :blink: ) I am really enjoying reading your experiences!!

… ‘South Australia has water restrictions, did I use too much water, and now we have to pay, worse yet do we have a monthly water allocation and I’ve used it all… and now we wouldn’t have water for Christmas, how would we shower… join a gym, perhaps, use their water’…

Hahaha - Absolutely relate.. every time something happens I jump to all the wrong conclusions and start beating myself up about it!

Another thing on the language:

"how are ya?" is not a question, it means "hello" - all the shop assistants great you with "How are ya?" and if you reply they look at you with a dumbfounded expression (and then quickly look away, embarrassed for you!)

Hahaha - Absolutely relate.. every time something happens I jump to all the wrong conclusions and start beating myself up about it!

Another thing on the language:

"how are ya?" is not a question, it means "hello" - all the shop assistants great you with "How are ya?" and if you reply they look at you with a dumbfounded expression (and then quickly look away, embarrassed for you!)

Now that is darn confusing!!! so are you not expected to say anything? or just reply with the same response "how are ya"?

Now that is darn confusing!!! so are you not expected to say anything? or just reply with the same response "how are ya"?

Heh heh! My conversation always goes like this...

Them: How are ya?

me: Fine thank you and how are you...

Them: Blank stare... :ilikeit:

Hi red,

I just stumbled onto your thread, things have been mad in my last week of work and i have not got my forum time in! I loved it and you really made me laugh. However mundane the information on your day to day experiences are so valuable and informative. Thanks for sharing. Loved the description of the neighbours! :)

Al

Heh heh! My conversation always goes like this...

Them: How are ya?

me: Fine thank you and how are you...

Them: Blank stare... :rolleyes:

Red, try saying "Good. And you?" Hopefully you'll get fewer stares :magic:

Thanks for taking the time to post your stories! I've really enjoyed reading them.

Cheers

Sue

Red, try saying "Good. And you?" Hopefully you'll get fewer stares :rolleyes:

Shop assistant: Hi, howareya?

Me: Fine thanks, and you?

Shop assistant: *blink* looks away, embarrassed for me

Next attempt

Shop assistant: Hi, howareya?

Me: Hi

shop assistant: canihelpyew

Me: *sigh of relief that I got that one right*

I struggled to get used to the WA standard greeting:

Ho'ya going?

Huh?? What??? ;) The first day I kept thinking: 'What am I supposed to answer?". I'm going nowhere. I STAYING IN WA!!! :ilikeit:

Now i know better:

"Good, you?"

It's amazing how quickly you "assimilate". Keep it coming Red - enjoy reading your experiences...

I am really enjoying reading your posts, only found them today!! <_<

"• Trains with diesel engines need to be banned, man they are loud."

Oi! That will make me jobless! :thumbdown:

Yip they do eat Kangaroo - pretty much like we eat Springbok / Kudu. They call it "Skippy"

The Skippy jibes come from what was probably Australia's first successful homegrown TV series dating back to the 1960s. In "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" the cute hero Skippy could always be trusted to save the day. Now, who would want to eat Skippy?

Hi Red

Been away a week and thank goodness someone posted a reply to this thread or I would have missed out on a fantastic read!! I'm supposed to be tidying my house for a show house but am being thoroughly entertained and can't drag myself away! Please keep them coming....

Cheers

Eva

Had a lovely week again, saw a few new things, and experienced the park at 7 in the evening. Becca was dying to ride her bike, so after supper we headed off to the park and hung about for half an hour or so whilst Rebecca rode. Two things I am still getting used to. People are at the park, at night… Young and old making the most of their days. And secondly that the sun really only goes down sometime after 8:30pm. You really get to experience a full day, although you end up staying up so much later at night.

We also had the great experience of going to a wildlife sanctuary – Warrawong where we got FREE entry and were able to feed the kangaroos, and go on a beautiful walk around the sanctuary. Unfortunately only the Roo’s were the highlight for the day. Totally unable to spot any wallabies or koala’s, but damn we tried… and tried… ended up getting a sore neck from the all the looking in the eucalyptus trees. One kangaroo did get a little jealous when Becca was feeding another and managed to send Rebecca flying during a somewhat jealous bout. Becca was fine, just a little surprised.

Adelaide has been receiving a record amount of rainfall for the month of December, as most of you might know it has a weather pattern similar to Cape Town – dry in the summer and wet in the winter. Went into the city during one of the rain showers and ended up seeking shelter in a department store. Let’s just say that it’s something we have only ever seen on the movies (yes, we never got out much). Five levels of amazing shopping, all in one store… Becca got to meet Santa, and had a photo with him… and we got ripped off paying like R130 for the photo. I mean how can you NOT buy the photo!

Don’t know if it has been the change in the weather but the girls woke up Saturday morning, feeling a bit flu-ish, and decided to get some medicine from the chemist. On the subject of medicine, ibuprofen can be bought at your local supermarket… It sits in the aisle with the paracetomol.

Had a barbeque on Saturday with newly made friends, Kerry, Steffen and Aimee (ex South Africans as well). Chatted over drinks and good food. Laughed over many similar stories and experiences that possibly only new immigrants could understand. Our two little girls had a blast, Barbie dolls and bikes and creaming soda were the choice for the evening, which left them both exhausted by 8:30pm.

Sunday was a busy day. Bern started off early with a cycle ride, and then we visited IKEA by the Adelaide aiport. For us, it was mind blowing, and we could have spent a fortune! We will only start getting furniture only once we move into our new rental and we HAVE to buy new stuff. Hopefully by then Bern will be working and we can spend dollars rather than spend the precious rands! Because we didn’t bring over furniture, we have to literally start from scratch… and this desperation leads me to an amusing story.

This evening, whilst doing my nightly sneak to the laundry room, I spot a rather solid mahogany-looking TV cabinet… And well, it’s just sitting there. Now we’ve heard rumours that when the Aussies don’t want things, they just stick it out on the verge. So my mind is wondering… mmm… this ‘verge’ material (which is still sitting on the ground floor of the apartment block) could be my new TV cabinet. And if it’s free, that’s WAY cheaper than IKEA, and of course that earns me points with the budget… So I run to Bern… ‘Bernard you have to see this’, and he runs downstairs… and I can see the mind ticking over just like mine, except he’s already wondering how we are going to carry the thing back up the stairs to the second floor… and I’m thinking, well don’t look at me!

After much deliberation and laughter we agree that it actually looks more brand new than second hand, and we decide to knock on all the apartment doors. Yes, we were going to attempt to be friendly to our council neighbours. So all was well, till I got to the one door, and couldn’t stop giggling, and Bern was nudging me to knock on the door, and I’m half giggling, half whispering… ‘Go away, they won’t open the door if they see YOU’! But now I am laughing so much, I literally cannot contain myself. So we run back to our apartment, contain ourselves and subdue the hysterics… and go a’knocking. BUT, out of the whole apartment block would you believe that only one person opened their door… what a disappointment… until we looked at the clock, and realised that we were actually knocking on people’s doors on a SUNDAY at 9:15pm… stupid foreigners… :blink:

Before I finish off here are some general arb notes for all you food critics.

• I am yet to eat a chilli dish, or sample a chilli sauce that actually has any kind of bite/sting to it. Bern ordered a chilli pizza the other night and we are still trying to figure out where they hid the chilli.

• Aussies love a strong cup of coffee, compared to what us Saffers are used to… its strong.

• To find Feta cheese is a whole different mission. We have found ONE brand that is made in Tasmania, but that’s it. ONE brand… and we are yet to taste it.

• Cheddar cheese, no matter what the brand seems to taste the same, maybe some just slightly stronger… but for me it’s still the same taste. And it’s all like a pasty white colour… Maybe it’s just because there is a lack of colourants, but I find it odd.

• I don’t find the meat to taste that different. Chicken tastes like chicken, lamb tastes like lamb, and beef… well that tastes like fish… Nah, just wanted to see if you were paying attention. Beef still tastes like beef.

• Aussie portions are HUGE. Order a large bowl of chips, and you will receive what appears to be a kilogram of fried potatoes. The coke buddy bottles aren’t 500ml, but 600ml. Hot dogs are not like our normal rolls, but all footlong dogs. And the hamburger rolls are like three times the size of what we are used to… much like the size of a large Chelsea bun.

• We bought a fundraising $2 barbequed sausage roll, and were amazed to find that the sausage was placed between one slice of bread. No butter, no roll. Don’t know why they don’t say ‘Come support your lifesavers, and buy your $2 sausage bread thingymabob’. We have found out that this is the norm, and not some cheap attempt to cut costs.

• When you buy a cooked chicken at your local Woolworths, the chicken has stuffing.

Till the next time… take care of yourselves

Xxx

So what happened to the tv cabinet ?

It is Sunday night here, we are about to go stick a note on it... Something like....

If you don't want this, Unit 24 does....

will take a photo for you guys...

Edited to add that we stuck a note that said 'if you don't want it, Unit 24 would like it. Please respond with a note under our door, thank you'

About 5 minutes later, we received a note under our door that read - Sorry mate, waiting for my friend so that we can take it up. Thanks'

Oh well, it was worth a try... you win some you loose some.

Saw him walking up the stairs with his friend and the cabinet, and thanked him for his promt reply.

Edited by Red

Hi Red

I love reading your posts.

What work is your hubby looking for and how is that going?

K