Accounting Qualifications

alastair

Has any body taken bridging courses for Australian Tax and Company Law to make their SA Accounting Degrees current for Australia?

If so what courses have you done and how did you study, part time or correspondence etc.

I have looked at a number of university websites and basically the responses that I get from them is that it is my choice what I study and also it appears that the fees are loaded if you study outside of Australia.

I have a list from CIMA of all the recognised Tax and Comercial law courses available from all the recognised education Institutes, but then again the choice is mine.

It would be easier to hear from some one who has done it before so as to avoid any pitfalls.

Thanks

Alastair

Hmmm, I am in the exact same position, only I am already in aus en working already for a CA firm. I was very very lucky. We have been here 6 months now.

Basically what I have found is that you need to check with what Accounting body you are able to register with, be it CA, CPA, NIA. I know if you go on CA's site, they give you a list of uni's that provide conversion courses. Just your choice which uni to pick I guess. Being on a 457 visa for me, also proves to be quite expensive.

If you have a look at www.seeklearning.com.au in the short courses section they do have a conversion course for overseas qualified accountants, BUT it is with TAFE (like technikon in SA). CA and CPA don't approve of TAFE, they want you to have studied at uni. NIA is like CFA/SAIPA in South Africa at the moment.

I am not sure if I helped you somewhat, but it just comes down to where you want to study (so many to pick from)

Let me know if you need any other info.

Cheers

Dear Alastair and Dedrei,

We are making use of Jackie Welsh, who is the South African Representative for University of New England, Deakin University and Charles Stuart University.

She assists Chartered Accountants and Attorneys with their conversion exams in South Africa. If I remember correctly, all applications for University of New England must be submitted before the end of November each year, but Jackie would be able to assist you.

She recently had a burglary and I know that she was planning on moving and I am therefore not sure if all her details are still the same, but I have the following contact details for her:

Cell: (082) 412-9903

Email: jwelch@kingsmead.co.za

Good luck!

Pippa

You may want to look at the Open Universities website (like UNISA in RSA). The Taxation Law unit is recognised by CPA Australia - not sure of all the details, but there are a couple of overseas students doing this unit that need it, to have their Accounting qualification recognised in Oz by CPA. The unit cost around $600 (there is a $275 loading for overseas students though) and takes 13 weeks to complete, with a mid-semester and a final exam

Thanks so much Andrea, this was just what I was looking for. Didn't know about the Open Uni's here in Aus. Tax post grad unit in Taxation i $1575 plus $195 overseas student fee. All study materials are online, which is a real bonus.

:ilikeit:

P.S. Their website is www.open.edu.au

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all,

I am also looking into conversion of my qualification and have sent an e-mail on Tuesday to the ICAA asking pretty much the same questions. I haven't had a response yet.

However, one question which is really bugging me:

- With regards to the application to membership to ICAA, do I need to apply for a CA Assessment so that they can tell me what bridging course to do, or is it just a given that I need to enrol in a Australian Tax and Corporate Law conversion? I presume that such an application is compulsory before I can register?;

It would be ideal if I could study through a local UNI before we immigrate. I have also been in contact with the South African Institute and they still need to come back with an answer.

Russell

Alastair

My husband recently passed Aus. Tax and Info Systems for Managers - the two subject he chose to get his skills assessment (CPA) as accountant. He did it through the University of Southern Queensland and was very impressed by them. Let me know if you want more info.

Leana

Alastair

Just to answer your other question - my husband sent everything through to CPA for his skills assessment to be done and they came back with a list of 4 or 5 subject that he could choose from for him to be recognized as an accountant in Aus. (He needed 2 subjects) It was very expensive about R15 000 but we see it as an investment for our future. We spoke to 2 other people the last month who also were very impressed by USQ.

Leana

Hi

It is almost a given that if you want to become a member of any Oz accounting body then you will be required to do Tax and Company Law.

USQ has a combined Tax and Company Law course which can be taken in certain cicumstances.

Open Universities have the more attractive courses in terms of cost and time, the study period is only 13 weeks, the next study period starts in Feb 2007.

It also appears to be the cheapest. A$595 plus A$195 extra for overseas student.

You can register for the courses without having completed the pre-requisites, but must have the required knowledge of those pre-requisite courses.

Cheers

Alastair

• 3 weeks later...
We are making use of Jackie Welsh, who is the South African Representative for University of New England, Deakin University and Charles Stuart University.

She assists Chartered Accountants and Attorneys with their conversion exams in South Africa. If I remember correctly, all applications for University of New England must be submitted before the end of November each year, but Jackie would be able to assist you.

She recently had a burglary and I know that she was planning on moving and I am therefore not sure if all her details are still the same, but I have the following contact details for her:

I have been in touch with Jackie and have the necessary enrolment forms. The tax and company law conversion is compulsory.

Chat later

Russell

I have been in touch with Jackie and have the necessary enrolment forms. The tax and company law conversion is compulsory.

Chat later

Russell