North Queensland

SuzSF

Hi there,

I am moving back to South Africa so selling everything from a toaster and kettle to my car, if anyone in the Queensland region (I live in Townsville) is interested in anything, let me know.

I have a couch, coffee table, TV unit and TV, dryer, bed and mattress, kitchen utensils, microwave, dining room set etc etc etc.

My car is a Hyundai Getz 2006 model.

So if you are interested in anything give me a shout.

Kind regards,

Suzette

suzettest@gmail.com

*sigh* a Getz is such an awesome little car. All the best with the big sell and move back. Hope everything works out well for you

Hi there,

I am moving back to South Africa so selling everything from a toaster and kettle to my car, if anyone in the Queensland region (I live in Townsville) is interested in anything, let me know.

I have a couch, coffee table, TV unit and TV, dryer, bed and mattress, kitchen utensils, microwave, dining room set etc etc etc.

Kind regards,

Suzette

suzettest@gmail.com

Hello Suzette,

I am not sure If I should say I am happy or sad for you, as only once a person has actually left SA and stayed in a foreign country do we realize HOW HARD THE MOVE REALLY IS....

As when we were in SA I was quick to judge those that came back, NOW I am sorry for doing that as I see how hard it actually is without family and friends and all that is familiar...

We are in Mackay....

Please can you give me a price list of your things?

will that be possible?

We would be interested in the bed and the car possibly....

Take care\

Tash

Hi Suzette,

I'm in Townsville too and would possibly be interested in some of your items. Would appreciate if you could send me a price list of what you want to get rid of.

You can email me at alsgal1@gmail.com

Cheers,

Paula

Hi

Sorry to hear things did not work out. Good Luck with the move back and everything of the best.

Regards

Enrica

Hi there,

Kind regards,

Suzette

suzettest@gmail.com

Hi Suzette

Hope you come right with selling everything.

Don't know the circumstances but want to wish you only happiness and joy with the move back!

PhillipJ

Hi - Good luck with the move back!!

We are still waiting for our Visa to be approved and I want to ask you a personal question : why have you decided to return?

<_< , I know.

I know I am being selfish by asking you, but if it could have an impact on prospective immigrants' decision (Aus not being what you expected, etc), it will be much appreciated if you could answer me.

Keep well

NicciG

We are still waiting for our Visa to be approved and I want to ask you a personal question : why have you decided to return?

<_< , I know.

I know I am being selfish by asking you, but if it could have an impact on prospective immigrants' decision (Aus not being what you expected, etc), it will be much appreciated if you could answer me.

I think all of us reading this thread have wondered exactly this!

I know I did, but was not too sure if it was okay to ask given the circumstances, it could be personal reasons and not related to Aus.

Hi everyone,

I simply miss my friends and family too much.

I have attached a picture of what I have to sell, everything you see I have (I bought it as a package deal from Amart). Only difference is my couch is chocolate brown.

I do not have prices for anything so offers will be welcome. All of these items are only 6 months old.

On top of those items, I also have the following:

Microwave - $40

Tumble Dryer - $200 (brand new never been used)

Amart white wardrobe - $100

On top of that I have a toaster, kettle, blender, mixer, pots, dishes, utensils etc.

My car is a white Hyundai Getz 2006 model still in its warranty with 80000km on the clock, excellent condition - $8000 O.N.O.

Please let me know if you are interested in anything.

Suzette

post-11164-1227713047.jpg

Suzzette I am sorry it has come to this but I suppose you have to follow your heart at some stage, can I be nosey and ask if you had a support system in OZ? was there a point you were happy? did you have doubts about going in the first place?

I know it's none of my business but these are the kind of questions we are all asking ourselves.

I would love to buy some of those things but the timing just is not right for me, best of luck to you in your move back, I hope that you will find happiness in the security of family and friends back here.

Edited by Terence.H

I think we should allow Suzette her privacy.

I think Suzette is going through something we all concern ourselves with and I am sure she will share what she is comfortable with.

Suzette - please share your experiences as I personally am so concerned that I will miss my family too much. I do not have friends or family in Oz. I am not sure of your situation, however it would help to hear your strory if you feel up to sharing.

Thanks

K

I think we should allow Suzette her privacy.

I agree, we all need our privacy. My daughter also moved to Australia,,first to study, and now she has been there for I think 6 or more years. She works as a Marine Biologist, in Townsville (same place where Suzette is from) has a good income,,no problems (I think) but still she misses her family, and has her moments. She thinks she is ready for a change, maybe wants to come to Switzerland, not sure. People move, that is what we do. We look for something else, something maybe better, new adventures, that is what makes us human. Anyway, I have to add, she will NEVER go back to SA,,she is not even a citizen of that place anymore. I know she has been complaining about the "unbearable" heat in Townsville, she does research work on Islands on the Barrier Reef, and she is outdoors a lot, so I think that is one of the reasons. But she loves the place, and to me it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Lucky people who can move to Australia,,is all I have to say.

But I think, Suzette must have her reasons, and it is private.

i agree that your network is very very important...the more friends we make here the more we realize just how much we need them to fill that gap of family and frieds left behind. Having said that some poeple just have itchy feet and cant resist moving..I am one of those peopel..alwyas following a leading star...

sorry suzette, for hijacking your thread, and how i wish we were closer, cause we stilll have hardly any furniture and need stuff desperaty!!! damn!! your stuff is stunning!!!!

i wish you the best of luck and lots of love and hugs ...

We all need to respect Suzette's privacy and reasons. I wish her well with her decision and hope she will be very happy.

But for others who are on their way and may experience doubts:

We too moved back for 1 year to SA (was planning to stay min 4 years), but having lived in Aus for 4 years by then, we could not fit back in SA at all and realised that I still see my family very little, even living there, but with tons more stress. I realised that visiting SA is great (to see family and friends) but living there and becoming part of the "system" again was a completely different and VERY negative experience (don't want to elaborate and bring up bad memories...)

But we were not the only ones who went through this. We have friends who went back to Cape Town after living in Aus for a few years (also missing friends and family) and they too have returned to Perth a few months ago. They also had a very negative experience trying to fit back in the system.

We had a very personal and expensive "learning curve" going back to SA but now enjoy and appreciate Aus much more since returning 5 years ago.

I make an effort to go and visit family at least every 1.5 years and don't miss them as much as before (knowing I still see them "failry" regularly). Another thing I have learned is that I do not allow any family to take me to the airport. I get a rental car and say my goodbyes at home and drive myself to the airport where I hand back the rental car. No more emotionally loaded goodbyes, which are typical at an airport. This is the worst place to say goodbye.

At the end it boils down to personal decisions. I dare to say that the absolute vast majority of people from SA coming to AUS will never go back to live in SA but the few who do (and stick in SA) need our support and best wishes as every person's circumstance is different.

PhillipJ

You've got to allow people the right to make their own decisions, regardless of how you see them.

Many folk constantly miss their family and all their mates.

They go back to wherever they started from and try to sort their lives out again.

Many find that life has moved on, their old mates have made new friends and they are "out of the loop" a bit, and their old job isn't the same any more.

There are 101 different scenarios that they can feel has changed for them . . . . and after a while they may like to come back to Australia, if South Africa has changed too much for them.

No matter how much we may try to convince them otherwise, some folk just have to see it for themselves what life has to offer on going back. . . . . or they will forever be negative about Australia and always looking back to South Africa to their old mates and their family.

Going back home will either "make or break" the image they hold dear of home and all it holds for them.

It's often only by going back that they can come to grips with reality, in whatever shape or form that is, and move on in their lives, either staying in South Africa or returning to Australia with a new outlook.

At the end of the day, it's not such a big deal.

It's better than forever looking back to the past and what life used to be, rather than looking to the future.

*sigh* just looked at the map. It is a long drive from QLD to Melbourne. Would have loved that little Getz. All the best with the move. Your family and friends must be so excited to see you.

Hope some of the formites can help you out - just wanted to send best wishes for your move back to SA

Tracey

xx

• 1 month later...

Is the GETZ still available? How many km's and how much? PM me please.

Hi Suzette,

We know how hard it is to reintegrate if one has been away for awhile, so if you are coming to Cape Town maybe we can help you settle in.

We have a 3 bedroom townhouse with all the comforts of home like security access and private pool etc. in a leafy suburb just waiting for you - contact me for price and availability

Good luck on your return Suzette. I can honestly say I know how you feel as I don't have any family in Oz either. You mis them everyday and wonder constantly what they are doing and what you are missing. My hubby is an Ozzie so I will tough it out for his sake. There is always the good with the bad and the heart broken with the happy, it just affects us differently and we respond in a way that suits us individually best. Hope you have a safe return and a fantastic reunion part, and have one on those of us who mis home to. Just a little jealous to be honest. Wouldn't mind being able to live between the two countries and have the best of both worlds. Hope you will still visit on the forum and share your experiences with those still there and keep us nosy people amused aswell.

Hugs!!

Steph