Occupational Trainee Visa

Pafo

Dear All!!

A couple of months ago I had posted a query related to VETASSESS assessments, I sent mine and my sisters degrees over to be assessed and the result came back NEGATIVE. I was testing the waters to see whether Australia would accept our qualifications and whether we'd be worthy to migrate there. Our first intentions was to go to Oz next year in November, on a working holiday visa and then apply for an onshore SIR which would require a POSITIVE skills assessment. Instead of going to Oz and then applying to VETASSESS I decided to do that now so at least I know where we stand, and saving us the saga of packing up and coming back here. Anyway I knew that VETASSESS wouldn't accept our qualifications, so there is no point in applying for a WH visa.

I understand that there is another visa which I'm well read about called the Occupational Trainee Visa, DIMIA stipulates that foreign nationals can undergo I period of training at a company in my case a hotel, and once the training is over apply for an SIR. I assume that the company will issue training certificates which will be positively assessed by VETASSESS. Does anyone know on how to get a company to nominate a foreign national, like myself? DIMIA says its up to the candidate to find the company.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a transfer through multinational companies,eg Intercontinental hotels? And what are the criteria for getting residency through this path?

Hi Pafo,

Your questions are all quite technical and would probably best be answered by a migration expert - I've read up on the visa class you're talking about on the Immigration website, and from what I can see, it is a temporary residence visa granted to students / graduates for a period of up to 2 years, to allow them to undergo skills training in their chosen field. What you probably need to check out is what occupations are covered under this category (for example, is it only for traditional apprenticeships, like being an apprentice electrician or hairdresser).

If your occupation is covered, then you need to find a sponsoring company. Once here on the visa, you could maybe ask them to sponsor you further on a long stay business visa (obviously only after the training period is over, or else they won't be able to), called a subclass 457, and the after 2 years on that visa, they could potentially sponsor your PR application.

Like I say, it's a tricky visa and not one of the more popular ones, so you may need to speak to a professional for more sound advice.

Thanks

Ajay

Dear All!!

A couple of months ago I had posted a query related to VETASSESS assessments, I sent mine and my sisters degrees over to be assessed and the result came back NEGATIVE. I was testing the waters to see whether Australia would accept our qualifications and whether we'd be worthy to migrate there. Our first intentions was to go to Oz next year in November, on a working holiday visa and then apply for an onshore SIR which would require a POSITIVE skills assessment. Instead of going to Oz and then applying to VETASSESS I decided to do that now so at least I know where we stand, and saving us the saga of packing up and coming back here. Anyway I knew that VETASSESS wouldn't accept our qualifications, so there is no point in applying for a WH visa.

I understand that there is another visa which I'm well read about called the Occupational Trainee Visa, DIMIA stipulates that foreign nationals can undergo I period of training at a company in my case a hotel, and once the training is over apply for an SIR. I assume that the company will issue training certificates which will be positively assessed by VETASSESS. Does anyone know on how to get a company to nominate a foreign national, like myself? DIMIA says its up to the candidate to find the company.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a transfer through multinational companies,eg Intercontinental hotels? And what are the criteria for getting residency through this path?