What gifts can I take back to SA?

Willemien

I'm going back to SA for a visit over Christmas. Will I have any trouble taking biscuits and lollys from here? I know you can't bring any foodstuffs into Australia, but as its my first time going back I'm not sure.

It should be fine, as far as I knw SA has no quarantine at all. I have sent biscuits and sweets back a couple of times and they have all gotten to their recipients safely. As long as you stick to the liquid in the cabin rule, I don't think you will have any issues taking foodstuff back to SA.

TimTam's is an option. It cost R30 in SA, Woolworth special A$1.89 each. One of our friends took 30 packets with.

I always remember it like this : you can't take food into Australia but you can take money out and South Africa is vice versa!

We always send heaps of TimTams back as it can be hard to find them in SA. Non food items like calendars, fridge magnets and "tourist Tshirts" are also popular.

For the little ones, they go crazy for those clip-on koalas. You can buy them in packs of 10 or 12. Cheap as chips at Paddy's Market. Nice to peg onto gifts, etc. Last year my daughter gave to all her friends, now they all have mini koalas on their curtains, lamp shades, everywhere!

zorba

A gift that you may want to consider for adults is the Underbelly DVD - I sent one over a while back and it was a great hit. (Also gives you bragging rights at the braai when everyone wants to tell Saffer crime stories you get to tell people how dangerous Australia is!!!)

Johan, try R48.00 by die Spar in Monumentpark (Pretoria) vir 'n pakkie TinTams. Iemand maak lekker geld.