Hi there

buzzbee

hi everybody

i have been lurking on this website for a few months now and have been awed by the amount of useful information - i am still trying to figure out how to save the useful bits because i keep losing them! i have also been struck by how helpful everybody is - it's really heartwarming.

my husband and i are planning to relocate to sydney. we live in cape town and are both professionals with occupations on the MODL. we have two young kids.

since we took the decision my husband is very keen to act on it as soon as possible - if he could get to sydney tomorrow he would! i am much happier to take time to get used to the idea and get my head around the enormity of the move. he has had his assessment done and was hoping to lodge our 175 application asap, but tonight he discovered that he can't lodge our application till after the English test and he can't get a test date till January. So he is really disappointed. the dept of immi told him that at the moment 175 applications are taking 12-15 months on average. so it looks like patience is in order ... we are planning to do the application ourselves online without an agent - i hope that proves to be wise!

anyway, i am sure i will have lots of questions as the time progresses so you will definitely be seeing me around.

bye for now!

:unsure:

Hi Buzzbee

Welcome... please have a look at the Cape Town Coffee Clubs... perhaps you could join us...

Got to run, but will catch up

Joefromsa

Welcome and enjoy the posts and ask away, I am sure someone out there can help is you have any questions

Cheers

Enrica

Hi there

Welcome to the forum. Sydney is a wonderful city and so child friendly you will love it. How old are your children. You both seem to have your head screwed on so I am sure you will be able to do the application without an agent and you can start filling out the details now and save it until you are ready to submit. You will find that the next month flies by so fast and soon you will be doing english test and in then the wait begins.

When we were researching the process I had a huge black file with all the different visa sections, schools, websites, medical etc, we had notes written everyone and really proved to be a saviour. I know you will find everything you need on this forum and the best thing you can do is research as much as possible and you will be fine.

Good Luck

S

Welcome to the forum..... Its going to be a fun 12 to 15 months so don't worry.

We applied for our 136 (now 175) in December 2006 and in was approved in October 2007 - 10 months... We also did it ourselves without an agent. Just keep your head, read everything (all instructions and requirements) carefully and be prepared to the occassional set back and you should be fine. If you need any help, feel free to ask on the forum or send me a PM, I will gladly offer any tips, advice.

Its been a long hard 2 years since we first applied, but Karl is already in Brisbane and I am on my way in 12 days time.... believe me, its worth the wait and the slog.

Laura :);):ilikeit:

welcome !

You are spot on about the loads of usefull info :)

PS. Remember that if you are desperate to do the IELTS you may try other regions. Botswana usually has more space available, but of a long trek form CT though. In any case keep on phoning them, sometimes cancellations do become available on short notice.

Welcome to the forum Buzzbee!! Glad you decided to no longer be a lurker, I am sure your questions will be answered here, and perhaps answers to questions you didn't even now about. good luck with the IELTS in Jan!!

Welcome.... good luck with the application process, IELTS and the frustration of waiting!!!

Hi buzzbee

Welcome to another fellow Capetonian!

Sounds like you're well on your way to the land of Aus - except for the ELTs! But don't worry - time will fly between now and Jan.

Just a tip - make double sure that you don't have to also do the ELT. The rules changed last year regarding the secondary applicant having to do the test as well... so just check.

Best of luck wit it all,

Leigh

hi everybody

thank you so much for all the tips and all the encouragment! it is amazing to me what a community of caring has been created through this forum.

i have a british passport, so as i understand it i don't need to do the IELTS. we have considered another IELTS venue, but at this time of year things are crazily busy, not to mention expensive, so it's not really an option - my husband is going to hound them for a cancellation though!

our kids are 7 and 4. my eldest is just finishing grade 1 and part of our hurry to get to Oz is so as to make it as easy on the children (relatively) as possible - thus the younger they are, the better.

thx!