Advice please!

HouseInOz

Dear All

Any advice on how to find a position would be appreciated. What is the BEST way? Please let me know how you found your Senior/Management position/ job ? Have applied for Independent skilled Visa, BUT all jobs advertised says: "You have to have a Aus or NZ Visa".

Ignore what the job ad says and apply anyway.

Go to all the online placement sites:

seek.com.au

mycareer.com.au

careerone.com.au

jobserve,com

and many others... just google Australian employment agencies and contact those that come up.

Also - try contacting individual companies directly. Again, google the companies you're looking for... they'll all have websites with contact details.

Good luck ,

Leigh

Dear All

Any advice on how to find a position would be appreciated. What is the BEST way? Please let me know how you found your Senior/Management position/ job ? Have applied for Independent skilled Visa, BUT all jobs advertised says: "You have to have a Aus or NZ Visa".

I am in the same boat. I decided it was going to be a numbers game and also simply ignored the requirements and applied for as many jobs I possibly could. I did state on my cover letters however that I realize there are one of two requirements that I do not meet but that I am a fast learner and adapt quickly, just in case they thought I was daft and did not read the ad properly. I have had two negative replies and three people who would like to see me when I land so I am holding thumbs for now.

I also found that doing some research to understand the industry in Australia helped me tremendously in understanding what happens where and why (and which companies are the major players in the various industries over there). I am even thinking of doing a proper research report on this and perhaps share my information (after I found a job off course).

Its just so damned unfair that the financial crisis should hit exactly at this time!

The "usual suspect" placement websites were a bit of a waste of time for me! I also wasted a few weeks and phone calls on agencies.

Ultimately I went onto the internet and searched for companies that fit my skill set and requirements and then looked for employment opportunities on their websites - the beauty of this is that you sidestep the agencies (the usual advertisers on the placement sites) and are dealing directly with the internal HR. I was already in Aus, so within a week I had an interview and a week later I was working.

Ignore what the job ad says and apply anyway.

Go to all the online placement sites:

seek.com.au

mycareer.com.au

careerone.com.au

jobserve,com

and many others... just google Australian employment agencies and contact those that come up.

Also - try contacting individual companies directly. Again, google the companies you're looking for... they'll all have websites with contact details.

Good luck ,

Leigh

I'm with Leigh on this one. Ignore the visa requirements and apply for anything you think you might be qualified for. I found my job through this forum but had two other companies interested and turned them down by just sending out my cv and attatching a short and to the point cover letter. Its like fishing, as long as your line is in the water you are in with a chance.

Persistence is the key although you may be surprised at how quick you get a response.

Hi,

Every morning I got up at 5am and emailed my husabnd and my resumes out to all types of jobs on SEEK. This went on for 8 months (how is that for perseverence) and then finally..............it paid off!

Having done it for so long, I would recommend the following:

Ignore the "must have rights to work"

Don't apply for jobs that are through the agencies

Look for companies that are doing their own advertising

Always add a covering letter - we had a great (not too generic)one that detailed the fact that we did not have a visa however we would be an asset to any company etc. etc. etc.

We actually had an Australian respond and tell us to make some changes to our resumes, which we then did.

Hope this helps!

Liesl

Well done Liesl, good thing your application isn't one you can check online else you'd be doing that every morning at 5am now!

Great advice. :P:ph34r:

The "usual suspect" placement websites were a bit of a waste of time for me! I also wasted a few weeks and phone calls on agencies.

Ultimately I went onto the internet and searched for companies that fit my skill set and requirements and then looked for employment opportunities on their websites - the beauty of this is that you sidestep the agencies (the usual advertisers on the placement sites) and are dealing directly with the internal HR. I was already in Aus, so within a week I had an interview and a week later I was working.

I went straight to the websites and offered my services online even though they were NOT advertising positions, within 24 hours of sending my queries I had a sponsor!!! so don't give up on anything!!!

Well done Liesl, good thing your application isn't one you can check online else you'd be doing that every morning at 5am now!

Great advice. :P:ph34r:

Eva - now at 5am I respond to all the posts on the forum!!! (Sucker for punishment).

Ha, ha....

Liesl