Savannah...it's dry.. but you can drink it!

Suidwes

Hi almal,

Ons het 'n plan gemaak soos regte boere... self biltong, droewors & boerewors gemaak. Ouma bring Fizzers & Insidestories vir die kinners. Maar ek is al laaankal lus vir Savannah weet julle dalk of mens dit hier kry? :ilikeit:

Hi Suidwes - How is ouma going to get the fizzers and chocolates past the sniffer dogs, that's what I want to know? :)

Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn,

As long as the product is sealed (provided it is not an unprocessed meat product like biltong) and you declare it at customs on the airport you can really bring lots of different goodies in like eg. 'tuisnywerheid koffiekoekies', biltong spice, rooibos tea, pronutro etc etc.

Ouma even sends us the 'coco pop' stuff from kellogs that looks like pronutro, by mail!!

Elani

Really??? Is this true? The first time we went over, we even had a banana confiscated that I had kept from the plane food for my baby (and it was an Australian banana on Qantas!).

After that we never tried again. :)

So the idea is to show them what you have then?

I just thought it was a total ban. What about wine? We thought we couldn't even put it in our container because of Import Duties and inspections, etc.

Does someone have a link about this so I can read up?

Bronwyn

Bronnie!

A few years back you could only bring a litre of wine or spirits into Australia, so imagine my surprise when I discovered that you could bring 2.25 litres of wine or spirits in . . . . 3 bottles of Bailey's. Vodka, Scotch, etc.

I bought some on the flight from Heathrow in July, ordering 2 Bailey's, 2 Barcadi rums and 2 vodkas out of the Qantas catalogue.

I was told the Bailey's and Barcadi's were all sold out, so just bought the 2 Swedish vodkas for A$17.50 each (2 for A$35). Not being the quickest bloke in town, I should have got another 4 Swedish vodkas between myself and Ginnie, but I wasn't thinking . . . . as usual!

I could have kicked myself later in the week.

I saw the same bottle of "Absolut" Swedish vodka in the local bottle shop for . . . . . . . .. . . . . . $40 each!

I only just finished drinking the last bottle a week ago, so we are not "soaks" that guzzle. We could have had about half a year's supply of spirits, at our rate, if I'd have been quick enough to get half a dozen between us.

Think about what you'd like to bring in duty free by checking out the Qantas catalogue online if you're flying Qantas into Melbourne or Adelaide and make sure you bring in your full entitlement.

We brought dried prunes (seedless & sealed) into Aus and declared them at customs - no problem. Whatever foodstuff you bring in, DECLARE it! (Trust me!!) Even if you think it is "nothing" - rather declare it than be sorry. Most likely you'll be allowed to take it in as apposed to lying on your form that you don't have any foodstuff and then being caught with it - not only will it be confiscated but you could end up with a minimum $200 fine. (We never had any problems with chocolates, lollies & biscuits, but because the chocolates have dairy products in them, rather declare). Fresh fruit is definitely a no-no.....

As far as the Savannah's go: you can order it from Springbok Foods www.springbokfoods.com They also have Amstel, Windhoek Lager, Reds etc as well as a large variety of wines (Kupferberger, Nederberg etc) and Liquers, Brandy, etc or try "South African Food & Booze" www.african.com.au/safb.html They have KWV Port as well as wines, beers, brandy etc. Both these also have foodstuffs such as Biltong, Spices, Guava rolls, etc etc....... Then there's also Satooz: www.satooz.com - they don't have alcohol, but a lot of other nice goodies.... I've ordered stuff from all 3 these without any problems.

Thanx everyone.

I will definitely look into all the websites.

Another interesting thing about foodproducts.. Canadian friends of ours back in Queensland used to receive packages from Canada (New Foundland) that contained dried fish similiar to 'bokkoms'! It was of course inspected by AQIS or whatever the abreviation for the quarantine people is, but they found nothing wrong or out of the order!