Two contrasting articles

polly

Question

Emigration feelings in SA

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&am...83807796C393289

Homecoming Revolution in Britain

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&am...84550356C569068

Thought the comparisons were interesting. Both actually used really small samples for their statistics I feel.

14 answers to this question

intersting reading polly, wonder why no one really wanted to got to canada,maybe we should go there.....

Interesting Polly,

It seems that there is a definate upward trend in pessimism about the future here.

I can understand the increase of South African returning back from the UK, it's hard enough living even if you were born and raised there, property prices are sky high, rentals are ridiculously expensive even if it's a box room and shared bathroom in a grotty building, not to mention the weather.

They make a 1000 people sound like a lot... The number of friends I had that have left for the UK is staggering. I don't think it is a lot of people (the 800 who are saying they are going back). I suspect those wanting to start a family are the ones considering going back to SA.

Emigration feelings in SA

Thought the comparisons were interesting. Both actually used really small samples for their statistics I feel.

I had trouble following the first article, cause he was jumping between results of statistics of the general population and results from "only those wanting to leave"

1 in 5, or 20% of the population wants to leave - considering that only about 1 in 5 South Africans are skilled, means that just about all the skilled SA's wanted to leave

& then he ends with "20% of respondents said they would not return should they emmigrate" - well, that is probably the same 20% that said that they wanted to emmigrate in the first place (i.e "respondents" indicates the whole sample, of which 20% indicated that they wanted to emmigrate)

They make a 1000 people sound like a lot...

and only 4 out of 5 are seriously considering, which makes it only 800 considering coming back

From the number of people at the IELTS, I'd say that more than double that are leaving every month

Cheers

jan

intersting reading polly, wonder why no one really wanted to got to canada,maybe we should go there.....

I can offer 2 reasons. The application process for skilled PR - points visa - is long (3 year wait) and its blerry cold most of the time.

I think it has to do with how hard it is to get into Canada.

It's actually much easier to get into Canada than e.g. getting into Australia, even though the Canadian (permanent residence) visa processing takes much longer than Australia's (latest Canadian visa processing average = 36 months).

The lack of enthusiasm for Canada probably has something to do with the cold weather...(that's why I decided against Canada, even though it sure is a stunningly beautiful country with many positives).

I agree Kangaroo, I have travelled to Canada many times, both in summer and winter and each season has it's own beauty!!! I have seen Niagara falls in both seasons and both were breathtakingly stunning!! but boy the temperature takes some getting used too!!

WELL, I may as well have gone to canada, we had snow in tasmania over the weekend, back to

heaters and blankets and three pairs of socks

I have friends emmigrating to canada, and it has been much more expensive as well..just the visa applications were enourmous.

terrence I am so jealous..I would love to go there, actually Alaska is my dream...at least now I can save for holidays, back in SA had no chance of that.

I agree Kangaroo, I have travelled to Canada many times, both in summer and winter and each season has it's own beauty!!! I have seen Niagara falls in both seasons and both were breathtakingly stunning!! but boy the temperature takes some getting used too!!

I've been in Canada several years now, and yes, the weather is a problem. Southern Ontario (and most parts of Canada) has massive extremes in weather: winter (no surprise) is way too cold and summer is often way too hot & humid. In the space of a few months you can swing from a low of minus 45 (including windchill) to plus 45 (including humidity reading): trust me that it is extreme!

I agree that Canada is a beautiful country with lots to offer: unspoilt nature, kind hearted people, clean, orderly, good schooling, good healthcare, low crime, stable economy, strong currency, a passport welcomed in most countries and also nicely located to explore North America, Caribbean or Europe. This is what attracted to us to Canada (and being 5 points short on the Oz points test! :unsure: ). But the weather does take getting used to.

I could live the rest of my life in Canada and be happy (we would NEVER go back to SA) but I'd prefer to live in Australia. I'm exploring some options and we are considering the move down under. That said, I would still rate Canada very high as a great place to raise a family (and boy oh boy do the kids love the snow in winter).

Jules, you got it spot on!! there is nothing to dislike about Canada! (weather extremes aside) , I love the natural beauty of the country, the colours that Autumn brings to the landscape are mind boggling!!, the wide open space, all the point's that you mention, I could go on......

Me in my ignorance on the first winter trip decided it was okay to leave the hotel and walk to the restaurant just over the road, rather than accepting an offer to be driven, that was a choice I regret to this day!!!!! I froze to the point of hypothermia in a matter of minutes (totally unprepared clothing wise, and constantly looking in the wrong direction for oncoming traffic)). Try buying winter clothes in S.A during the peak of summer and find out how well you do in Canada in mid winter!!!!!

I hope that your exploring Jules has a dividend at the end, if I were you and had your options I would not close the door on Canada completely, leave a gap just in case.....both countries have a lot to offer but both are very very different and that is a good thing I think, so good luck to you! I am envious that you have the choice of these two countries.

I hope that your exploring Jules has a dividend at the end, if I were you and had your options I would not close the door on Canada completely, leave a gap just in case.....both countries have a lot to offer but both are very very different and that is a good thing I think, so good luck to you! I am envious that you have the choice of these two countries.

Oh we would never close the door here, and we do have Canadian citizenship now. I'm starting some additional studies to qualify as a management accountant here and will be able to also get the Australian CPA due to a partnership between the 2 countries. The CPA would assist should I decide to make the move but that's still 4 years away. No rush though; we are happy here too! Besides, I've had some great breaks in my career in Toronto and have been very blessed. Time tells all.