Hi from a Sydney newbie

AnneM

Taking the plunge and actually sending something rather than just browsing. I arrived in Sydney on 8/08/08 with my twin sons of 10. Hubby had been here since early May. We had no real thoughts of emigrating until the whole Eskom debacle in Jan 08. A tentative query to an Australian colleague by my husband led to a job offer on a 457 visa, we thought through the proposal for all of 2 days and then made the decision to go. Everyone thought and still thinks we are mad as we have no friends , family or connections in Sydney. Luckily there was so much to do that I didn't have much time to think wether we had made the right decision or not. We are now here and pretty much sorted out - rented house,cars found,container unpacked,boys settled in school etc. We have been incredibly lucky that everything has gone so smoothly, especially when I read the posts of how others have had so many obstacles to over come. Still much to accomplish - find a decent house to buy with our measly Rands,find myself a job , and sort out my hubby's car license woes. His SA license expires in Jan so he has to get a "Q" NSW license which he now discovers he can't get on a 457 visa as you have to be resident in the country for 6 months uninterrupted,this is never going to happen as he travels extensively overseas on business. All we can hope is that his company will be able to get us our PR in ultra fast time. Thank you all for paying it forward .this forum was of great help before I left and I'm sure will continue to be for me and all others we decide to take the BIG step

Hi there Sydney Newbie

Seems you arrived on the most fortuitous date possible!

I'm glad things have gone smoothly for you, you sound like a determined person and that probably helps.

I certainly am glad we didn't have problems with driving licenses either in WA or Queensland, surely there must be a way to get a license in NSW on a 457- you can't drive without a license for your entire 4 year visa period, for those who don't apply for p.r.!

How would they know he hasn't been resident for 6 months uninterrupted if you don't tell them?

Maybe some of our NSW forumites have the answer.

Good luck

AndreaL

Hi there Sydney Newbie

Seems you arrived on the most fortuitous date possible!

I'm glad things have gone smoothly for you, you sound like a determined person and that probably helps.

I certainly am glad we didn't have problems with driving licenses either in WA or Queensland, surely there must be a way to get a license in NSW on a 457- you can't drive without a license for your entire 4 year visa period, for those who don't apply for p.r.!

How would they know he hasn't been resident for 6 months uninterrupted if you don't tell them?

Maybe some of our NSW forumites have the answer.

Good luck

AndreaL

Hi AnneM

Welcome to Aus, you've made the right decision, all the best for you and your family in Sydney.

Linda

Hubby had to present passport as proof of identity. Very efficient NRA employer noticed he had left the country last month. Wonder if any NSW residents have any suggestions? Know you can't renew SA license from outside the country due to eye test and fingerprints needed. Hubby's company were going to apply for a permanent visa for us anyway. luckily he can cycle to and from work but will definitely limit his movements on the weekend

Hi AnneM

Now this NSW licenses would just make me want to spit the dummy and throw all of my toys out of the cot!

Would it help to appeal to the SAHC here Renewing an RSA driving license overseas ?

Hi Anne ,

Congrats on being in Sydney and doing so well so fast .We arrive on the 1st of Jan ,I only hope our transition is as smooth as yours !

BTW which area are you living in ?

All the best

D.

Hello and welcome Anne :whome:

We're also hoping to land up in Sidders...

I know some people who are extremely happy there - it sounds great :whome:

Leigh

We are also coming to Sydney and should be arriving on the 14th of December. Us newbies should all meet up as soon as we have a chance.