Some assembly required

Biltongboer

“These Romans are crazyâ€, Obelix would have said.

We ordered a new dining table, with 8 chairs, a coffee table and a smaller side table from Harvey Norman. (Harvey Norman is not some guy we know, it’s the name of a big store in Australia, nearly like our “Uncle in the furniture business†down in Biltongfontein.)

That was a few weeks ago. They did not have enough stock, and yesterday I got the call: my stuff is here. We were so happy about our new furniture, because we are still waiting for our container and we are borrowing from everyone we know, and using “verge collected items†for furniture. But now we're going to have our own dining table!

The driver called this morning to confirm that he would be here somewhere between 10h00 and 13h00. He pitched up at 12h40. Now I know what “somewhere between 10h00 and 13h00†means...

So, these two guys park the big truck in front of my house. First they load off the chairs, then some flat boxes. I wait for the table - I wonder where the table is, but I say nothing. I don’t want to seem greedy.

By the time I pay the bill and sign the invoice, I realise that this is it - the three flat boxes are my three tables. The truck driver says: “Seeyalater mateâ€, and there he goes. I desperately want to tell him that I ordered a table, not a flat box, but I just shut up.

So, this is how it works - you have to assemble the stuff yourself. Here I was, thinking they would be bringing me a table, and instead they bring me a big wooden Lego set.

These Romans are crazy.

(Check out the blog for photos)

I love it when you post in English Biltongboer, and I can understand!! :ilikeit::ilikeit:

You really are very entertaining to read....

MORE PLEASE! :blush:

Went to look at the photos and found more English!! :ilikeit:

Well done on the assembly.

Yay, I'll have to remember to look on your blog.

Good laugh about your bin... :blush:

Sounds a bit like I am stalking you, sorry. :ilikeit:

Edited by Eva

Went to look at the photos and found more English!! :ilikeit:

Well done on the assembly.

Yay, I'll have to remember to look on your blog.

Good laugh about your bin... :lol:

Sounds a bit like I am stalking you, sorry. :blush:

No worries, I'm used to the ladies stalking me. It just gets the wife a wee bit upset now and then, but keeps her on her toes... :ilikeit:

Thanks! You made me laugh and after that traffic coming home :ilikeit: - I needed to laugh!! :cry:

I have a Zimbabwean guy who works for me who is an absolute dream when it comes to "putting together†and fixing :blush: ……….. .he is an outstanding painter and general house/garden worker as well :lol: .... :ilikeit: I was wondering if they deliver tables in flat boxes ...as I am the main visa holder ...should I leave hubby behind and bring Jabu ??-Just kidding thanks for the giggle ! :D

Priceless! Your writing is highly entertaining Biltongboer! Thanks for sharing!!!

Good one, mate!

I had a little read further down the blog with the article on bush flies in Australia.

. . . . seems that African dung beetles are the thing to keeping bush flies in check and how the larvae on live on dung, especially elephant dung, etc.

Now, all we've gotta do is import a few elephant, giraffe, kudu, wildebeest and impala? . . . . . . and we should be right?? :ilikeit:

Thanks BB,

Good job on the assembly, we also had to do our chairs and table, Your dining room set it very smart.

Jill

Hi Biltongboer

Did you know that Harvey Norman is actually called Hardley Normal! Only a joke!

Enjoy your new stuff!

Euneze

“These Romans are crazyâ€, Obelix would have said.

We ordered a new dining table, with 8 chairs, a coffee table and a smaller side table from Harvey Norman. (Harvey Norman is not some guy we know, it’s the name of a big store in Australia, nearly like our “Uncle in the furniture business†down in Biltongfontein.)

That was a few weeks ago. They did not have enough stock, and yesterday I got the call: my stuff is here. We were so happy about our new furniture, because we are still waiting for our container and we are borrowing from everyone we know, and using “verge collected items†for furniture. But now we're going to have our own dining table!

The driver called this morning to confirm that he would be here somewhere between 10h00 and 13h00. He pitched up at 12h40. Now I know what “somewhere between 10h00 and 13h00†means...

So, these two guys park the big truck in front of my house. First they load off the chairs, then some flat boxes. I wait for the table - I wonder where the table is, but I say nothing. I don’t want to seem greedy.

By the time I pay the bill and sign the invoice, I realise that this is it - the three flat boxes are my three tables. The truck driver says: “Seeyalater mateâ€, and there he goes. I desperately want to tell him that I ordered a table, not a flat box, but I just shut up.

So, this is how it works - you have to assemble the stuff yourself. Here I was, thinking they would be bringing me a table, and instead they bring me a big wooden Lego set.

These Romans are crazy.

(Check out the blog for photos)

As far as I know you can ask for it to be assembled, but you pay an extra fee.

Hi BB,

Great to read another chapter of your Oz experience.

We also collected from the verge and this year we were able to return some of the items to the verge - I guess a sign of settling in.

Ahhhh the joy of flat packs!!! There should be instruction manuals in all flights from SA for the unsuspecting immigrant haha!!

Thanks BB as always very entertaining, so how long did it take your wife to assemble the flat packs?

Thanks BB as always very entertaining, so how long did it take your wife to assemble the flat packs?

Ha-ha-haaaa! Terrence, you are wicked!!! :blink::(:lol:

Yeah, the after photos definetely looks better than the before ones!

Yo

My hubby hates DIY. It is a disaster for a week in our home if he has to do that kind of manual work. We also didn't expect the disassembled stuff. The guy laughed at me when I asked if he was putting the bed, etc. together. My son (10) and I frantically put everything together as much as we could before hubby came home from work. He ended up having to do one bed since it needed two adults, screwdrivers, a lot of maneuvering, etc.