Vissie: Hopefully relocating to Australia soon...

Vissie

Good morning everyone!

Well, where do I begin? Firstly, a BIG thank you to the all the administrators of this website and every single person taking time and making the effort in answering/clearing up newcomer's questions. Relocating to another continent, leaving your loved ones behind is a scary concept, but hey, we choose LIFE.

Let us introduce ourselves.

My husband, myself and our 3 year old boy is currently residents of Johannesburg, RSA. About 4 years ago my brother was killed in a car accident, where a Taxi (yes, I am SURE you must've heard about the 'we- make-the-rules-and-own-the-road' violent attitude of the Taxi's here), collided head on with my brother. He was the only white man who died in the accident and gave a total different story to what the marks on the road told. We just had to leave it there. 3 Years ago, my best friend's father were shot 7 times execution style for a few rand. Just over a month ago, my father became one of the sudden 'highway-murder statistics'. Last week an elderly man was shot in the head, whereafter the hijackers reversed and drove over the man after speeding of in a Toyota Corolla. This type of news are not even headlines anymore, but the order of the day.

No wonder jokes say that 'SA – where crime pays'… The problem is that it is just not the 'normal' crimes anymore, but it is a violent, disrespect for human life. And we just don't want to live with this 'attitude' anymore. So yes, we are very bittered young people who just had enough. And we don't see in any way that this situation will improve. With the 2010 soccor world cup approaching, my stomach takes a few turns if I think of all the illegal immigrants that will 'move' to SA, and just add to the number of unemployment and once again, crime. Instead of focussing on this, our government seems more concerned with changing street and places names, moaning about the'good schools' being too white, companies not owned by black people… but enough of this! I have attached my article.

Just like most newbies, we have a LOT of questions. We are slowly but surely trying to work through all the already posted questions and answers, and thanks people, we already got some very clear guidance. Thanks to our special friend, BeeTee, who used to work with us and did Taekwon-Do with me. He introduced us to this forum.

You'll be hearing a lot more of us now and hopefully by the time we do move to Australia have made some good friends, whom we'll really love to meet. We do have enough points to move, but knowing the loooong process that we need to go through, let's just pray that we are kept safe so that we CAN meet…

We are also trying to find employment/sponsorship. My husband feels, should we not get employment before we move that should we have about R100 000, we'll be OK for a while until we do find jobs. We'll most probably go to Brisbane/Queensland. We are both IT professionals (Developers) - I have posted a topic under 'Looking for a Job'...

Any tips, suggestions or comments are welcome!

Have a wonderful day.

ENOUGH_is_ENOUGH.doc

Hi Vissie, :ilikeit:

Welcome to the forum! I hope you get all the answers that you need, and that you can get out of there as soon as possible. I am not sounding very patriotic, but when it comes to my life, and most of all my children's lives, patriotism is the last thing on my mind. Many of the things you mention bring back vivid memories of things that we try hard to forget. On the other hand it is good to be reminded of why we left, it is a very good cure for "homesickness" :ilikeit:

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Dreamy,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I see you are very active in many of the discussions - thanks a lot for taking the time!

I am glad that my story can help ex-South Africans feel more at home in Australia. I am really sad to say that all the horrible stories are really true. My father was in the army most his life - working towards a 'better South Africa'... oh, well...

I am just sad that we will have to leave my mother behind, for now. Unless we win the lotto or something! We promised my father we'll look after my mother, and we will. We just need time to get her out of there...

Keep well!

Hallo Vissie! :ilikeit:

Welkom, ek is seker al jou antwoorde le iewers hier tussen hierdie blaaie ... ;) Dankie dat jy jou storie met ons deel :D

Haai almal, wou maar net se hierdie is my vriendin wat ek julle van vertel het...

hallo Vissie (en kie!) - hoop jy vind al jou antwoorde hierso

:ilikeit:

Edited by BeeTee

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi there Vissie,

Welcome to our forum. I'm always glad to see a fellow Joburger. Good luck with all that lies ahead and please let me know if I can help somehow. We have loads of fabulous forumites in Brisbane and other parts of QLD, I am sure you will find them all very friendly and helpful.

See you on the forum.

Love

Sunshine Sister

:ilikeit:

Hi Vissie

Welcome to the Forum

My wife and myself and 2.5 year old son feel exactly the same way ... ENOUGH

I am also in IT my wife in Accounting and we are tired of the crime and "white ceiling" here.

We have started the process a couple of months ago and we can not wait to go.

We are also going to Brisbane and hope to see you guys there.

Just be strong and follow threw with your decision, you will get days that you wonder if your doing the right thing.... IT IS!!! :ilikeit:;):D

Good luck

:lol:

I can feel the anger and bitterness coming off the page. Australia will feel like heaven on earth for you. Good luck and I hope you don't have to wait long.

HI Vissie

We have some IT professionals here in Brisbane that are registered on the forum. Rialet and Nadine come to mind.

Now that the decision has been made things will snowball, and we will be having a coffee in Brisbane soon. Good luck with you journey, and keep us posted.

Hi Vissie,

Welcome - I'm really sorry that you've gone through such a hard time, and I'm sad for your senseless loss of your father. Just get here, and start a new life - we will all help you along as much as possible.

I'm in the IT industry in Sydney, so if I can help in any small way, let me know.

Love

Ajay

This sort of personal experience is become typical of South Africans wanting just to live to see their Old Age Pension.

It seems to be "White" nowadays in South Africa is a definite health risk.

In absolute contrast to Jo'burg, I travel around Australia, going thro the bush, cities and country towns, in my 4WD and caravan without trouble, no terrorists, no harrassment and I don't take any sort of weapon.

I just hope you can make it to these shores and start living in peace within yourselves.

Take a few minutes to look at th epiccies of my travels around South Australia a couple of weeks ago (South Australian holiday). There is sanity and helpfulness out there in the world!!

I have put this up for all to see that Australia is a land of safety and security where you can go as you will . . . . . . like the South Africa you have lost!

Edited by Bob

Hi Vissie, Ek het gisteraand jou "storie" uitgedruk en in die bed gaan lees - ook maar goed ek kon nie dadelik reageer nie want ek was regtig sommer net baie hartseer oor wat met jou pa gebeur het - ek sou nie geweet het WAT om te sê nie, al was daar 'n 1000 dinge wat deur my kop gegaan het! Mens lees gereeld wat met mense gebeur, maar om dit uit die hart van 'n dogter te hoor (en nie die pen van 'n joernalis nie), maak dit soveel meer persoonlik en al ken ek jou van nêrens, voel dit asof ek jou tog ken - seker omdat ons almal op hierdie forum een of ander storie het.

Wat meer kan ek sê? My hart gaan uit na jou en ek VERSTAAN absoluut die woede en frustrasie en moedeloosheid en SEER wat in jou gemoed borrel! Ek is diep geraak deur jou storie! En ek dink aan jou...

Hi julle mensies!

Ek kan nie glo hoe ongelooflik welkom :huh: hierdie forum mens laat voel nie... Ons sal regtig graag julle wil ontmoet wanneer ons eers daar is, want dit is julle wat mens deur hierdie moeilike stadium dra - so julle bring 'n groter bydrae tot 'sanity' :unsure: hier in SA as wat julle dink hoor! Al is ons baie bang vir wat voorlê, stel julle ons beslis op 'n manier gerus...

Ek wens net ons kon AL ons vriende en familie saambring...

Julle is almal GREAT hoor! :)

Edited by Vissie

Hi Vissie,

Welkom by die forum, soos jy gesien het is hierdie 'n klompie mense wat omgee vir ander mense en hulle bes sal doen om jou te help om in Oz te kom.

Ek wil net se ek dink aan jou en jou gesin in hierdie moeilike tyd.

Sulona

Hi Vissie,

Ek het nou net jou intro gelees en wil net se hoe hartseer mens word om hierdie goed te lees. Ek het nog nie persoonlik so iets deurgemaak nie (net 'n paar inbrake en gesteelde voertuig- sien; ons idee van normaal is al klaar verdraai) en ek wil ook nie.

[hier is my paragraaf waar ek aangaan oor die nuus en die stand van die polisie, opvoedkunde, jaarlikse eksamenvraestel uitlekkery, stand van die kabinet,, PE se ambulanse ens weer uitgehaal omdat ek nie glo daarin om negatief te wees nie, maar dit baat ook niemand om jouself daagliks te laat martel of om naief te wees nie]

Sterkte,

Jaco

Hi vissie sorry to read about all the sadness in your life. My husband is also in IT. He had an interview with an employment agent in August which informed him that she would need only a week to place him. They really have a huge IT shortage. We also want to move to Brisbane so we hope to see you there soon.