South Africans living in the UK - Where are you??

Sibella

We are still here in Guildford and staying put at the moment while our house we bought last year is losing its value by the minute.

But we are still fine overall, my husband is working, kids happy, and today the sun shined, so we have nothing really to complain about.

Still thinking about going to Australia, but now is not the right time.

What are you guys doing?

We're in Sydney. We left Ireland in August and have been here 2 months now. Funnily enough I get homesick for Ireland but I know it's just because we are in that horrible stage where the honeymoon period has worn off a little and we have to get through the hard slog of settling.

Did you get snow in Oct Sibella? My kids were so jealous of their friends pictures of snowmen while they were sweltering! Can I ask why you changed your mind for the moment? Just being nosy :) - we went back and forth on the decision a few times so it's always interesting to hear others thoughts.

L

We're still in the UK (London).. in the process of applying for PR. As soon as its in our passports we're off!!! (wish it could happen faster).

We've had an great time in the Uk and europe but its now time to move on - looking forward to long lazy days in the sun!

We are in Manchester busy working our notice months. Then December to SA for holiday and then hopefully... :) to Oz in January. Applied for PR in Jan 2008 and got a CO on 13/10 and since then waiting, waiting and some more waiting...

We're in Sydney. We left Ireland in August and have been here 2 months now. Funnily enough I get homesick for Ireland but I know it's just because we are in that horrible stage where the honeymoon period has worn off a little and we have to get through the hard slog of settling.

Did you get snow in Oct Sibella? My kids were so jealous of their friends pictures of snowmen while they were sweltering! Can I ask why you changed your mind for the moment? Just being nosy :lol: - we went back and forth on the decision a few times so it's always interesting to hear others thoughts.

L

No snow here in the South East - so far this winter we've only had one cold spell and yesterday the kids were playing outside and it was actually quite warm!

We are waiting for an opportunity - we don't have enough points for PR so would have to come over on a 457 sponsorship. With the economy at the moment we are a bit hesitant to come over on a 457. Having downscaled quite a bit when we moved to the UK (as I'm sure most people do) we don't want to go over if its not going to be a lot better than what we have here - if that makes sense?! So if we go it has to be really worth it.

Also I am in a bit of a comfort zone now - just recently started making friends and enjoying myself. We enjoyed a Halloween party at our neighbour's house, went to Bonfire Night and watched the fireworks, and next week they are switching on the Christmas lights in the High Street! I can't really remember ever having known my neighbours in South Africa, nevermind going to a party. So I think I am going to end up being homesick for England too!! Although I can't see myself living here forever.

How are you finding Sydney? How is the shopping different from the UK? I must say I do miss my South African shopping centers which I think there are more of in Oz? How are the 'mums' at school? Are the kids settling in quite easily? Is it very hot? Am I asking too many questions?? :whome:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all South Africans in UK - we're still in Wickford, Essex...for the next 5 1/2 weeks before we fly to AUSTLRALIA!!!!!!!!We will be living in Esperance where my hubby will be teaching at the Senior High School. All exciting stuff at the moment.

• 4 years later...

Apologies for the necro bump of this old thread (2008 :unsure: ) It does however seem to be the most appropriate.

My wife and i with our 6 year old are in Colchester | Essex for the past two years (London before that for 7 yrs). Originally from CT, we arrived here after both of us ended up working on the QE2 for about a year on board (wine stewards).

Came to the UK for what was meant to be maybe a one year stint and ended up staying far too long (Wife has German Ancestry)

Anyhow, long story short, im about to apply for my UK residency, but the desire to get back to the open air, bright skies, active lifestyle is becoming very strong for both of us, especially the last few years. I am also not too keen on my little girl to grow up here in the UK and miss out on all the outdoors activities i know she will love, and deserves even at her young age.

So yea, we are seriously starting to think about finding ways to get us over to Oz in the next few years. Sooner if opportunity presents.

Edited by HiQ
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi HiQ,

I am not in UK, but in Ireland. Looking for years to go to Oz! First hubby decided to do a degree, now that that is complete, was waiting for work experience. That is almost complete.........so now the search for sponsorship....

I am very demotivated today, as we are not getting any replies from any companies, don't know where to look anymore!!! :(

I might be in a better mood next week, let me know how you get on and what you decide

• Like 1

Like this HiQ? Use some style ... :)

• 3 months later...

Quick update. We are not in countdown to our move. OH hopes to go at the end of August next year and the girls and I will follow after a few weeks. 10 months of saving and planning now in motion.

We really loved our LSD in April and it gave us a better view of where we would like to settle in Perth but I am still a little worried about job prospects for myself (PA/Administrator).

At the time I thought the visa process was the stressful part but it seems it is just the start of the roller coaster ride! We have settled well in the UK but after 13 years it is definitely time to move to a warmer climate.

Hope everyone else's plans are coming together.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Couldn't see any obvious place to introduce myself in these forums - so trying here. If not an appropriate place, please reply with a link to the preferred area. Thanks.

I'm Darren and am living in Greenwich London with my fiance Chris. I was born and raised in Sydney and country NSW - left Oz in late 1993. Chris was born and raised in Cape Town and left SA in 2007. I've been a dual Oz and UK/EU citizen for ages. Chris is currently applying for UK/EU citizenship. We are getting married in SA in Feb 2015 and looking at moving to Oz.

Have no questions or anything just yet and am happy reading through the thousands of previous posts at the moment - but hoping to become a familiar member to everyone in coming weeks and months. Just wanted to say hello.

Darren

• Like 1

Hey Darren you should copy your post into 'Foyer' where it will be seen. This thread is very quiet, I doubt anyone will look in here :) Good luck with your plans. My son's called Darren but he became Dazza pretty quickly here in Aus. Anyway, welcome to the forum.