A family in need of urgent help

MiniDachsie

Hi everyone

I received this email from Sabona Magazine and thought I would post it on the forum. Hopefully it is allowed, if not, I apologise. I also wasn't really sure in which thread to post it, but I guess this one makes the most sense. I guess you should always be a little weary about donating money, so best to probably check it out first to make sure, but I think what this family needs the most is probably support and a sponsorship - hopefully someone can help.

Perhaps a bit of a "warning" to those coming over - it isn't always easy and you have to prepary yourself mentally for tough times. Some are lucky and have no problems, but I think there are quite a few out there who do struggle, either financially, job-wise, mentally and/or emotionally.

Perhaps someone on the forum knows more about this specific situation and could give us some more information. Please note, I don't know the family personally, so best to contact Philip Scott if you want any further information. Also, the "payment page link" is not showing when I copy it, so also best to contact Philip Scott in regards to that as well. Here is the email:

Please help!

11 Nov 2008

I received a call tonight from a very distressed young South African man who was about to take his own life. After untold problems with immigration after 2 years in Australia he was not able to see any future for himself. He has a wife 3 beautiful daughters that depend on him as breadwinner.

If you can make a difference and would be able to either

Consider sponsoring him in a Project Management position,

Assist with finding him sponsorship ASAP

or donate a small amount of money to help support this struggling family including any possible legal assistance

I was able to talk him out of taking his own life and have made him a personal promise that we will not just talk, but ACT and do something to help him out. I am appealing to you to show your support to make a REAL difference in the lives of REAL people. Today!

To assist financially please follow the link to our payments page and nominate an amount that you want to donate. Yes I know we're probably supposed to go to some sort of red tape to be allowed to raise money like this, but there is no time. We need to act NOW!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Philip Scott

General Manager, Sabona Magazine

Ps. If you have any questions or concerns please call me on 0413996173.

Edited by Melbourne_again

I could not see a problem with this post other than the asking for financial support bit.... There's so many hoaxes going around and people donate money to scammers without even knowing it. (Not suggesting Philip is a scammer, but he himself could be the victim of one...) We don't want to be associated with any such schemes and ask members to take GREAT caution and establish the validity of any such requests - not only on the forum - before they get involved. Just a general note of caution. :thumbdown:

That said, this may very well be a true situation, and I do not in any way suggest people DON'T open their hearts. I do hope this person get the help he & his family needs needs and as a forum community we could surely offer support in many ways. Where is this person currently living? How could forumites assist in a more active way i.e. supply groceries, help out with accomodation, emotional support etc?

That said, this may very well be a true situation, and I do not in any way suggest people DON'T open their hearts. I do hope this person get the help he & his family needs needs and as a forum community we could surely offer support in many ways. Where is this person currently living? How could forumites assist in a more active way i.e. supply groceries, help out with accomodation, emotional support etc?

Hi Riekie

I unfortunately don't know anything more about where the family is living, etc. If anyone wants this information, best would be to contact Philip.

I have just called Philip, this is a genuine case, the family live in Perth. If there is anyone out there that can offer assistance of any kind, it would be best if you contacted Philip on 0413996173.

I'm a firm believer in helping people out.

The Bible talks about "you reap what you sow". The current statement in Australia says pretty much the same thing . . . "what goes around, comes around."

However, when we look at the Biblical principle in caring for the unemployed and the widows, we don't see a welfare cheque flutter into their letterbox once a fortnight, like what happens in modern day Australia with Aussies not having to do much to get it.

The harvesters were required to let any spilt grain stay on the ground, for the widows and poor to come and gather later on so they could have bread and live off it.

The Biblical principle here is that the poor and the widows had to get off their bums and help themselves.

It was there for them to have, but they had to get up and do something to help themselves in the first place.

That way, their work ethic and their self esteem isn't being eroded.

I have had people on the streets in London approach me asking for the price of a cup of tea, or for the price of a phone call.

Whenever I've offered to buy these folk a cup of tea or walk with them to a phone box to put the coins in so they can make a call, they always avoid doing it.

Why is that? If they are fair dinkum in wanting a cuppa or to make a phone call, why do they make excuses not to take my offer up?

So . . . . be careful about giving cash.

Give them a bed for the night.

Give them a meal.

Pay their electricity bill.

Fill the car up with a full tank of petrol for the week.

Offer to help them get another job.

Be very careful about handing cash out without them doing something in return.

Edited by Bob

I have had people on the streets in London approach me asking for the price of a cup of tea, or for the price of a phone call.

Whenever I've offered to buy these folk a cup of tea or walk with them to a phone box to put the coins in so they can make a call, they always avoid doing it.

Why is that? If they are fair dinkum in wanting a cuppa or to make a phone call, why do they make excuses not to take my offer up?

We have the same thing here Bob, how often someone claims to want money for food, offer to buy them a loaf of bread and they are not interested! Have actually been walking into the supermarket and had someone beg for money, buy a loaf of bread and walk out the shop to give it to him.... disappeared. Obviously NOT hungry.

But this doesn't seem to be the same kind of situation... Sure hope things work out for these people.

Hi everyone. I received this appeal from the Sabona Magazine, and thought maybe someone on the forum can help on give advice to this young couple.

They are in dire straits and I hope someone can help. Here is the link to read the article. http://www.sabona.com.au/appeal.ews :ilikeit:

Greetings

Steph :hug:

I've just read an update on this situation on the link, and seems like Mark has found a job, is now positive & looking forward to the future! Glad this one worked out well! :rolleyes:

Just so everyone knows - Philip Scott is an outstanding person who has done wonders for the SAfrican community - he set up the Sabona magazine out of his own pocket -not asking for any assistance - he ran the mag for a few years and then that capped with his business he found he had no time to do both so stopped the mag for a few years. Now, under constant requests from people he started up the mag again a year or so ago - which provides us all with loads of info. I as the ladies lunch co-ordinator often ask our ladies for donations - not in money form but goods as there are plenty of needy people here. I think Philip was wonderful in the way that he handled this plea for help from a fellow South African and even though people were conscious about the money part - Philip has a breakdown of how each cent was spent in helping this family.

Keep up the good work there Phil...

(PS - I know nobody was doubting Philip - just thought I would give you guys background on this wonderful person)

PS - I know nobody was doubting Philip - just thought I would give you guys background on this wonderful person

Like you say : nobody doubted Philip - it's just that ppl might take advantage of Philip's (and other kind people's) goodwill and (unbeknown to the likes of Philip & others who care & give) make us all victims of a scam. This was a genuine case, as we've discovered, but sometimes it's a hoax - not by any fault of Philip's or other people trying to help out. It's always good to be cautious first - there's a lot of ppl out there who pry on the giving.

Just so everyone knows - Philip Scott is an outstanding person who has done wonders for the SAfrican community

I have to agree with Heather. As host of the Sabona Business breakfast in Melbourne I have spoken a lot with Philip and his business partner Shane Leite. They are two very sincere people who are always willing to help and with a genuine interest in the well being of their fellow South Africans.

But, like Riekie said – always good to be cautious. I believe that this was a genuine emergency otherwise Philip would not have gone through all the trouble.

I’m very grateful that Mark and his family could get assistance.

Well done to the South Africans who have opened their hearts and pockets.

Has anyone heard back if these people are okay now?

Just off the topic, can anybody enlighten me on the "Sabona Breakfasts" in Perth, I have heard there is one coming up on the 5th December, but where I am not sure.

Has anyone heard back if these people are okay now?

Just off the topic, can anybody enlighten me on the "Sabona Breakfasts" in Perth, I have heard there is one coming up on the 5th December, but where I am not sure.

Just wanted to quickly drop a mail out to everyone about the next Sabona Breakfast – it takes place on the 5th December details below. I am also including an updated spread sheet of all the current details I have – please have a look at these and let me have nay updates that are necessary.

Date: 5th December 08

Place: Kalis Bros Leederville

Time: 07:00 for 07:30

Cost: $19 (Please pay at the door as you come in)

RSVP Doug Horak +61 8 9480 2203

See you there!