Expo in JHB

Nicoleen in SXM

Good day en dagse daar!

I found information on the Australian Expo that will be held in Jo'burg March next year online. Any one been to one? My current travel plans are to arrive in SA for a visit just after the Expo. So I was wondering if it is worth while to change the dates so that I will be able to attend.

To me it seemed more geared to people going in fields where there are large companies seeking employment. The field I am interested in is more specialized. I have experience in industrial sewing that covers several jobs on the "shortage list"

~ Canvas manufacturing

~ Sail making

~ Upholstery

These are not the type of employers that would be hanging out at the Expo. Is there more to the Expo than job seeking? It would probably cost me a fair amount to change my travel plans, and right now it does not seem worthwhile. Maybe I would be better off trying to find a coffee club to visit with while I am there! :lol:

Nikki :D:blush:

Hi Nikki,

If you use the search function you will plenty of threads of the experiences others have had. But pretty much the general feeling is of total disappointment and that it is a complete waste of money.

Definitely think twice before you change travel plans..

Jordy

Good day en dagse daar!

I found information on the Australian Expo that will be held in Jo'burg March next year online. Any one been to one? My current travel plans are to arrive in SA for a visit just after the Expo. So I was wondering if it is worth while to change the dates so that I will be able to attend.

To me it seemed more geared to people going in fields where there are large companies seeking employment. The field I am interested in is more specialized. I have experience in industrial sewing that covers several jobs on the "shortage list"

~ Canvas manufacturing

~ Sail making

~ Upholstery

These are not the type of employers that would be hanging out at the Expo. Is there more to the Expo than job seeking? It would probably cost me a fair amount to change my travel plans, and right now it does not seem worthwhile. Maybe I would be better off trying to find a coffee club to visit with while I am there! :lol:

Nikki :D:blush:

Hi Nikki

Don't waste your time with the Expo. All the information you need and so much more is right here in the forums.

Other than job seeking all that is there are removal companies, some foreign exchange providers and that is about it.

Being where you are, you will need neither.

Happy hunting for the info that you need.

Regards

Richard

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I look forward to picking people's brains here on this board. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

I would suggest that you do some research on the companies that will be at the expo. Don't just write if off. We went to the expo in March last year..also thought that nothing much would come of it. We are now living in Sydney. My husband approached the first company on the Saturday at the expo, was interviewed on the Monday and the rest is history. There are 4 other people at his company with the same success story.

Good luck! :unsure:

I thought the expo was a real waste of time but perhaps it depends on the work that you do. However, i saw nothing around what you do for a living. Lots of mining and engineering. Dont incur addtional costs, you really will regret it!

Its going to be interesting as to who pitches this year coz it is usually mining and engineering and with all the retrenchments in that field lets see what happens

Wouldnt suggest you change your travel details just for the expo. Some people have managed to get sorted via the expo, right place, right time type of thing but most people come away very frustrated and disillusioned. To give you an idea generally the place is absolutely packed with people, two, three deep around a stall, people trying to pass to get to the next stall so you are constantly jumping out of the way, families trying not to get separated whilst Mom's battle with kids and pushchairs and try to get the attention of the couple of people manning a particular stall. If you are lucky you will get a person on duty who actually knows what they are talking about and is not just there to collect CVs and pass them on the relevant agency (who generally says oh well contact us when you get to Oz anyway). If you are lucky they have sufficient pamphlets on what they do (usually have run out cause never expected so many people but someone will bring them later etc). The net result a complete waste of time. Best suggestion would be to see who will be at the expo, contact them yourself and enquire whether they recruit for your line of work or if it is movers or related companies get some info from them. Then at your leisure you can mull over it examine it and come to a decision.