caramel essence & instant pudding

bosmans

Hubby's birthday coming up...I decided to send to work two trusted tarts (!). Now, for the one, I am missing caramel essence (apple tart) and the other instant pudding (the royals type mixed with milk) for the topping.....Could not find either at Coles or Woolworths.

Can I look somewhere else? Or use something else? Or, probably, just find two other tarts?! :-)

Hi you can get instant pudding here. Not to sure about the caramel essence.

But perhaps try the SA Shop, they might have or Weigh and Pay.

Regards

Enrica

Good question - haven't looked for these.

HOw about Caramel Treat - the cooked condensed milk? Where can I find that?

Have such a craving I'm probably eating the first tin I find all by my lonesome.

Good luck finding Nestle' Treat

I spoke to the importer for all the SA shops about getting some and they can't import it anymore because of the milk content (in NZ). Not sure about Oz.

Wifey is going to be very upset about that

Caramel essence for sale online at www.satooz.com.au under the Baking section. I just ordered some last week :hug: Delivery is pretty fast, max 3 days....

Enjoy!

You can also boil a tin of condensed milk. It will become caramal treat. Just not sure how long?

You can also boil a tin of condensed milk. It will become caramal treat. Just not sure how long?

It takes two to three hours. I have to admit that I know that answer because it is something I have done, but that was when I was young and foolish. The trouble is that the can might explode, and even if you are lucky enough to escape injury, it can make a terrible mess. I never had one explode but the cans certainly expanded. It is not something I would recommend.

HI guys,

From one person who prefers to boil their condense milk to make caramel, rather than buy it, it tastes much better than the bought stuff, it takes about two hours, I did it a lot in SA until one day ........................................

I was reading a really, really good book and boiling the condense milk, about an hour in, you have to keep an eye on it and top up the water, so where was I, oh yes,...............reading a really, really good book, :whome: forgot about the caramel, next thing I heard a big bang, oh boy.....................went through to the kitchen and it had been raining caramel, all over my kitchen and I mean all over, above my hob I had kitchen cupboards, the base of which was tiled, the can shot up, smashed the tiles and obviously popped open, and the caramel went everywhere, all over the ceiling, over my security gate, all over the floor, there was no where to walk, even had one of those hatches to my dining room, some went in there too. What a mess, hubby phoned in the middle of it all, to ask me to do something for him, just pretended everything was okay, spent the rest of my day cleaning caramel, which when it hit the air went a bit like toffee, from every surface in my kitchen. :thumbdown: At least my kitchen got a spring clean.

Needless to say, told hubby when it was all cleaned up, because I had to explain the smashed tiles, and now I am not allowed to boil it anymore :thumbdown: but have to buy it. He still tells people about it today, and that was a good 12 years ago, thank goodness he never saw the kitchen. :oops: All that good books fault.

bye for now Jill

Edited by Jill

Have you tried Franklins? Stanley Butchers in St Ives have caramel essence and the instant pudding.

Oh my heavens! i will SO not be boiling condensed milk!!!!!!!!!!!! My mom used to do it years ago but i have not tried it and will NOT be trying it! It sounds way to dangerous although Jill you had me rolling with your description of your kitchen!

PLEASE people DONT take my advice LOL!

Al

Hmm, Jill, you have my respect!!! It must've cost some real elbow grease to get that sticky mess cleaned up!!

Right: Will NEVER cook, will buy... not tempting fate!!!

Thanks Jill -needed that story today!

Thanks, I am glad you had a good laugh, I can also laugh about it now, but at the time, much elbow grease was used.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Jill