Can you survive on 43K?

Die Stains

I would like to know if it will be possible for a family of 3 to survive on this salary in Moree, New South Wales?

Any info would be appreciated.

M :ilikeit:

yes

Hi - From what I have read on here. it seems that families definitely do manage on that amount of money. You do get family benefits for tax with PR so that seems like it will help. I think your life-style will determine how you manage....

It is a concern to me too..... :ilikeit:

How many kids do you have? Remembering that if you are on PR you will get an extra $250-300 odd per child per month.

But just on aside: That figure seems extremely close if not below the absolute minimum permissible by DIAC. If I remember correctly it is over $44000 minimum. Should the remuneration not be enough DIAC will decline the visa. The figure is on the immi website

It wouldn't allow much room for a luxurious existence at all, but you could certainly survive on it with some clever budgeting and living on the basics.

With a family of three, $43 000 a year means you'll pay virtually no income tax, if there is only one bread winner in the family, assuming you are coming on a PR visa and get family tax benefit to offset any income tax deducted at your workplace.

If you find it tough to get by on only $43 000 a year, then you can either get a second job, working on Saturdays or let the wife do some part -time work when convenient, to bring in a little extra cash.

You'll get by and have a good life.

You don't need lots of money to have a good life in Australia.

Some of the best years of my life were when we were building our own house, me being the only bread winner, having three little kids.

We got by on just my small wage and we were all having a good time.

Ginnie, my wife, bottled fruit (in the season), we milked our cow and got our own firewood from the bush.

We grew lots of our own vegetables.

With a family of three, $43 000 a year means you'll pay virtually no income tax, if there is only one bread winner in the family, assuming you are coming on a PR visa and get family tax benefit to offset any income tax deducted at your workplace.

If you find it tough to get by on only $43 000 a year, then you can either get a second job, working on Saturdays or let the wife do some part -time work when convenient, to bring in a little extra cash.

You'll get by and have a good life.

You don't need lots of money to have a good life in Australia.

Some of the best years of my life were when we were building our own house, me being the only bread winner, having three little kids.

We got by on just my small wage and we were all having a good time.

Ginnie, my wife, bottled fruit (in the season), we milked our cow and got our own firewood from the bush.

We grew lots of our own vegetables.

Bob and the others, thanks for answering this post.

Not to confuse anyone, DieStains, is my brother and I am replying on his behalf.

They will not be going on a PR visa but on a 457, he was just offered a job on Friday morning after his interview. His wife just had a little baby 3 months ago and is still on maternity leave at present. She would like to go back to work once settled in Oz but in the beginning I think childcare would cost them a pretty penny not being able to get any grants.

We are not sure if you get any childcare assistance while on a 457. DieStains would like to apply for his PR as soon as he arrives in Oz. This will not be done through his company but personally.

Any other help and advice would be appreciated.

We are a family of 5 on a 457 and my husband's salary is the $43k (the minimum allowed on the 457). We are in Coffs Harbour in NSW.

Yes it can be done. We didn't come over with much in the bank and 9 months later we are quite chuffed with ourselves that we have managed so well. 3 kids can be costly, but they definitely haven't been deprived in anyway. We do lots of beach picnics and things like that, rather than going out or eating takeaway. Our grocery cupboard is well stocked and our bills are paid. We have never been extravogant people, but yes, we have had to make a few sacrifices. Nothing major though. I don't drive a fancy car. Bought a 1990 Ford Laser to run the kids around and my husband was lucky enough to get a company double cab.

I started a casual job a month ago and what a difference it has made. It's a nightshift job, but gets us around the high cost of daycare and holiday care for now (because as you know on the 457 you get no benefits). 3 nights brings home the same as my husband's weekly wage and I only ever work a max of the 3 nights. Our PR is lodged and when that comes through, life will be even better.

Good luck. It can be done.

Candice

Candice, great post. I take my hat off to you with your positive attitude you are sharing here. I think you are probably sharing some hope too.

Good for you.

GSI

Thanks GSI.

Don't get me wrong, there have been days when I've been a total brat and stomped my feet and thrown my toys out the cot. But it was usually about something I wanted that really wasn't a necessity. We're all human after all. Usually with a week or so's planning I was able to get the desired item anyhow, just not immediately when I wanted it.

Layby is a wonderful concept too for things you want but might not have the cash to buy all at once and also not having credit cards etc. You only pay something silly like a $2 layby charge and can pay off your purchases over 10 weeks or sometimes more. Big W had a toy sale in July and gave you the option to pay off till Christmas eve. This made it possible for us to buy our kids some really great things that we would not have been able to buy otherwise. Just made the last payment last week and only ever paid $20 a week back. As long as you make fortnightly payments you can pay as much as you like in the designated time. You get your stuff when the last payment is made.

Candice

HI Candice,

Well done to you, you are such a positive person, I know what things cost in Australia, and I take my hat off to you, doing so well on that money, I think where there is a will there is a way. Your attitude is what makes it work.

How is the new job going? Glad things are going well for you.

bye for now JIll

Hi Candice

Thanks for sharing with us, it gives us hope for those who worry about getting by on a minimum salary.

Blue

Candice

Thank you so much for all your positive words. This makes us sure that we would also be able to manage until we would get our PR.

Die Stains

Candice,

Good for you girl! I think that your positive attitude is what is helping you cope and do so well. And you are probably doing your kids a favour by teaching them that they cant have everything immediately!

Thanks for sharing yoiur story and reminding us that it can be done!

Al