Die groot trek - moving South?

Miss H

I am really torn with this one and it might sound stupid seen as we moved 14 000km away from home. We currently live in Innaloo NOR and are thinking of moving SOR to Atwell. My husband works South and we can get a big house for much less. We have been struggling to find a good rental NOR and need to be out of our current rental in 3 weeks. I feel as if I will be moving cities and I know nothing South. I can drive around North without a GPS and it makes me feel at home. We came so far and it seems stupid that I am scared of moving a few more km's. What do you all say? Should we pack up and get used to it somewhere else?

Dear Miss H,

Thats a hard one. Probably you have made friends NOR, and when you move South you have to start again.

What about the kdis and schools?

Getting used to the shops and areas all over again, I feel for you.

Good luck with which ever decicion.

Regards

Enrica

I am really torn with this one and it might sound stupid seen as we moved 14 000km away from home. We currently live in Innaloo NOR and are thinking of moving SOR to Atwell. My husband works South and we can get a big house for much less. We have been struggling to find a good rental NOR and need to be out of our current rental in 3 weeks. I feel as if I will be moving cities and I know nothing South. I can drive around North without a GPS and it makes me feel at home. We came so far and it seems stupid that I am scared of moving a few more km's. What do you all say? Should we pack up and get used to it somewhere else?

Pardon the ignorance but does NOR and SOR mean North and South of the River respectively?

Hi there!!

SOR is great!! We live quite far south, in Baldivis and it's a great area. Good schools, nice church, good shopping etc. I can't imagine that there is that big a difference between living NOR or SOR.

And what you say is true - you get a lot more house for your money, from what I've heard people pay up north.

We've got the Mandurah line serving the south and it's good, dependable and services the area quite nicely.

Good luck in making the decision.

Hi Miss H

This is just my personal experience.....

It does seem a bit strange, but I have found that SOR and NOR are like two different towns. We used to live in Beeliar and then in Yangebup and now live NOR in Landsdale. Big move. Personaly I found SOR people to be friendlier, and more down to earth. I made friends very easily SOR. People NOR appear more closed and busy with their own lives. I think that moving SOR will be a good move. My sister in law lives in Atwel, they have settled and made friends very quickly and they are very happy there.

Hope this helps

Good luck

Mandy

This whole NOR / SOR / suburb-for-life thing gets me down sometimes. Before we moved here we were given dire warnings: don't settle SOR, the pace is too slow! Don't settle NOR, it's full of immigrants! Make sure you rent in a suburb you can afford to buy in otherwise you'll be forced to rent forever! So it would appear that you have to make a decision on where to live based on a few peoples' recommendations (and lets face it, people usually recommend their own suburb!), a scout around on your LSD trip (if you're so lucky to have one) and a trawl through the internet, and then you're stuck there for life.

Maybe because I've lived in a number of towns and cities in SA and also a number of suburbs in both Cape Town and Joburg that I just don't get this "stay in one place" mentality. I do agree that moving your kids can be hard, but kids are a lot more adaptable than most South African adults are - as children my brother and I moved schools on numerous occasions and both survived and thrived! My recommendation is this: once you've been in Aus for a while you have a better understanding of the neighbourhoods, the transport links, your ease of travel etc. It's a lot easier to get the right feel for a suburb just by driving through it and walking through the local shopping malls once you're into the Aussie groove. If you've done you’re research and you think you'll like living there then chances are you're right. Trust your instincts.

(disclaimer - a pinch of salt may be required as the author lives SOR)