Lactose Free Milk

Stix

Just wanted to let everybody know: if you are lactose intolerant there is a surprise waiting for you in Oz-land. You get lactose-free milk (not the lactose-reduced stuff you get in ZA).

Just wanted to let everybody know: if you are lactose intolerant there is a surprise waiting for you in Oz-land. You get lactose-free milk (not the lactose-reduced stuff you get in ZA).

Good news but do they have rice milk and soy :ilikeit: milk? I,m totally allergic to milk etc and live from rice milk,rice flower,and rice etc. :ilikeit:

Yes, soy, rice and oat milk available from the supermarket. Also a lot of different kinds of flour.

Y

Yes, soy, rice and oat milk available from the supermarket. Also a lot of different kinds of flour.

Y

Thnk you very much !!!!!

Which supermarkets????

My son recomende that I move to China for my rice-diet but Oz is close enough for me. :lol::ilikeit:

In Woolworths, Coles, Franklins etc you can find rice, soy, almond, lactose free milk. Have you tried Delre ( brand) Caprakaas it is a lactose free cheese and is imported from Holland. You can buy it at any of the specialty cheeses shops and Harris Farmers ( sell vegetable’s). Are you able to use coconut milk ? We are also cow diary intolerant. We use sheeps milk yoghurt in limited amounts you can buy this at Harris Farmers.

When I need to replace milk in a recipe I usually replace it with coconut milk or almond milk or pear juice or rice milk. You can also replace all butter with grapeseed oil when baking.

Are you only lactose intolerant or also gluten (wheat, barley, oats, rye) intolerant?

Gluten free flour is readily available in all supermarkets. Just look in the health food section for Orgran brand. www.orgran.com all their products are yeast, dairy and gluten free.

You can get rice flour in the Asian section of the supermarket. If you need to buy any other flours like buckwheat flour, potato flour, corn flour, quinoa flour etc you can buy this in health food store.

Edited by sonnetjie

Thank Sonnetjie :holy:

I am allergic to dairy, gluten,soya, oranges, tomatoes etc.

I have found Organ products in Checkers and like them.

Now to move to Australia where I can find a lot of food to live on!!!!!

Hestie

Does anyone know about "wheat free" bread. I buy a fantastic bread in Westville that's made from linsoy. It tastes like fresh white bread and is brown in colour. I wonder how readily available that is in Aus. My child is wheat intolerant which makes it difficult as he won't eat rye or any other funny looking bread. I have also found pasta made by "Dinkel" in Germany and it's made from spelt. The varieties available in the supermarkets and Everfresh are not great and tend to become stoggy unless eaten immediately. When in Aus, my husband bought a few packets which weren't great. You certainly couldn't eat it cold or reheat it the next day. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sharon

Hi Sharon

I found ORGARAN gluten free easy bake Bread Mix in Checkers the other day, waiting for my sisters'son then I will bake it for the 2 of us. Orgran is an Australian make and I have tried their Apple & Cinnamon Pancake mix, nice even my kids like it.

Gluten Free

Wheat free

etc. free

Hi Hestie

Please let me know how it turns out. I would prefer to be able to buy it ready made though. At the moment, I buy a months supply and defrost some every day.

I have a Quantum Sunbeam breadmaker and we use the http://www.laucke.com.au/glutenfree.htm mix the one with the green sticker on. The orgran breadmix and this bread mix tastes like real bread. We bake it and then freezes it sliced up into zip lock bags. Even the non Gluten free guys enjoy it. Have you considered buy a breadmaker?

Maybe in Aus, my lifestyle will be a lot less hectic so I'll have time to make bread. I also have such a fussy child that I would end up buying the breadmaker and ingredients and he wouldn't like it. I'll try and find someone who has one and get them to make it for me before I buy one. Thanks for the advise.